Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 05:42 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,411,813 times

Advertisements

The "Are atheists rebellious?" thread got me to thinking a little. (which is not easy so early in the morning) This concept of rebellion is kind of b.s. It boils down to not being in agreement with whoever is in charge. So what? So an atheist doesn't agree with every word written in a silly old book and they are automatically rebellious?! Bull. I don't always agree with my government....does that make me rebellious? For example: I would never give in to forced mass vaccines. That would technically make me rebellious right? I don't think so!

What about children being called rebellious? Of course they need rules to follow for their own safety, but when it comes to forcing our opinions on them....well that's a different story. I'm thinking of my own kids. They HATED going to church. They HATED following the UPC crazy "standards" of holiness. My daughter was resentful of us for years for making her wear skirts to school. Of course she was considered rebellious just for not agreeing with us. Ridiculous! I did start letting her pants and I was all of the sudden the rebellious one! Just for not OBEYING my church leadership. Well so be it! People should be allowed to have their own opinions. Children should be able to express themselves without be ridiculed and being called rebellious. I'd say that the whole Christian notion of what rebellion is is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 05:55 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,369,934 times
There is an enormous freedom in rejecting the religions, but I have never seen that freedom as rebellious. I have seen the need to be more active in supporting non religious groups. I think the Bush years were the catalyst for many non-religious to wake up and take a stand. The religious right added a need to protect our freedoms and I became active in several groups to protect what basic freedoms we have. That is not rebellious, it is survival.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:58 AM

4,275 posts, read 5,426,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
The "Are atheists rebellious?" thread got me to thinking a little. (which is not easy so early in the morning) This concept of rebellion is kind of b.s. It boils down to not being in agreement with whoever is in charge. So what? So an atheist doesn't agree with every word written in a silly old book and they are automatically rebellious?! Bull. I don't always agree with my government....does that make me rebellious? For example: I would never give in to forced mass vaccines. That would technically make me rebellious right? I don't think so!

What about children being called rebellious? Of course they need rules to follow for their own safety, but when it comes to forcing our opinions on them....well that's a different story. I'm thinking of my own kids. They HATED going to church. They HATED following the UPC crazy "standards" of holiness. My daughter was resentful of us for years for making her wear skirts to school. Of course she was considered rebellious just for not agreeing with us. Ridiculous! I did start letting her pants and I was all of the sudden the rebellious one! Just for not OBEYING my church leadership. Well so be it! People should be allowed to have their own opinions. Children should be able to express themselves without be ridiculed and being called rebellious. I'd say that the whole Christian notion of what rebellion is is wrong.
People who forward the "rebellious" garbage forget that Christianity has never been a majority religion globally.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 AM

13,774 posts, read 26,626,594 times
Christianity itself could be seen to contain elements of rebellion or at least non-conformity. If a person really sold all their possessions and started traveling around helping distressed people this would be seen as a fairly countercultural or oddball at least. However that's what many early Christians did. That's what Francis of Assisi did to some extent.

Although I have something of a "conservative temperament" I think there's good kinds of rebellion as well as bad kinds of rebellion. Rebelling against an injustice or for a truly virtuous cause can be good. Rebelling purely for your own ego or pleasure or in a way that causes violence to innocent people is generally not good.

I think many atheists who deem themselves "rebels", not that all or most do so, likely do feel it's in the cause of something just and ethical. I may not agree, but I'm willing to believe that they believe what they are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality