Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:03 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,577,917 times

Advertisements

Atheists encourage their kids to go into science at a disproportionate rate and that was possibly even more true in earlier areas. If you look at the same source you'll find the Jewish faith is also disproportionate among scientists. That doesn't necessarily mean science makes you Jewish.

Also I think atheists might have a greater desire to stick with science since atheists seem more likely to see science in rather grandiose terms. (It's not merely a useful tool or a way to expand knowledge, but it's "The best source of Truth possible!" or a noble vocation or whatever) A theist might do like Nicolas Steno or George R. Price did and decide that after fifty they're better off to devote themselves to writing or charity work. Atheists might have greater reason to stick to it after fifty even though one is unlikely to make any significant discovery or finding over that age.

Or if you want a possible atheist-friendly notion the longer you're in science the more unlikely religion starts to seem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 10:24 PM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Maybe they suffer from dementia.
Insults are the last resort of the incompetent.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:26 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Or if you want a possible atheist-friendly notion the longer you're in science the more unlikely religion starts to seem.
Not really. Science has the way of offering an explanation or possible explanations. One is then free to explore further if so inclined.

Religion on the other hand has but "one" answer, godunnit or "only believe" or "renew your mind daily" (read:take your daily dose of delusion)

Errors have been shown in the bible and yet no one has bothered to edit them out because of the belief that some goatherder's writings of 2000+ years ago is the inerrant wurd of gawd. When errors are found in science, science corrects them.

Actually teaching creation in schools would be no problem for me.

I would simply gather all the science books, pile them up on my desk, take the bible and rip out Genesis 1-3, place them alongside and say to the class, pointing to the lil' pile of pages from said bible, this is all you need to know about how the world works, we can just ignore these, pointing to at least 3 piles of text books piled 20 or so high. Then proceed to read to the class the genesis 1-3 accounts, after no more than 5 minutes, dismiss the class and tell them they have graduated in all the known sciences of the world.

Questions not allowed, because it is clearly stated in the first 3 chapters of the bible. and of course because gawd saiddit, it must be true.

Then sit back grinning as the class exists the class with WTF looks of their faces.

"Tomorrow we discuss how rainbows are made" and of course tell them about teh fludd, all the while leaving these piles of real science books on my desk.

One could of course go on to other topics such as the uncleanliness of women with periods if the class is gender mixed, telling the boys that wet dreams make them unclean and should not come to class till they have bathed themselves.

One week of this and I am sure I would be reported by a student for not doing my job. Then we could get down to the real education.

I do not think the fundies have really thought this creation as science crap out properly

Old 11-07-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Atheists encourage their kids to go into science at a disproportionate rate and that was possibly even more true in earlier areas. If you look at the same source you'll find the Jewish faith is also disproportionate among scientists. That doesn't necessarily mean science makes you Jewish.
I don't believe that is true...What I believe is that as one becomes educated in the sciences, the old myths make less sense. I think most of us pretty much let our children choose their own careers, rather that push them towards science. At least that is the route I took....I have five grown kids, and not a scientist in the lot.

Quote:
Also I think atheists might have a greater desire to stick with science since atheists seem more likely to see science in rather grandiose terms. (It's not merely a useful tool or a way to expand knowledge, but it's "The best source of Truth possible!" or a noble vocation or whatever) A theist might do like Nicolas Steno or George R. Price did and decide that after fifty they're better off to devote themselves to writing or charity work. Atheists might have greater reason to stick to it after fifty even though one is unlikely to make any significant discovery or finding over that age.
You are not serious are you....Do you think that at over fifty scientists are washed up? That doesn't make any sense, as the older one gets, the more one knows. How old are you anyway? You must be an "ageist" Access : Older scientists publish more papers : Nature News

Quote:
Exactly....

Old 11-08-2009, 12:24 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,531,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Einstein sure didn't believe he was going to be anything but dead when he drew his last breath.

Link?

Old 11-08-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Link?
Do you not know how to do your own research?

"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it". ....Albert Einstein

Old 11-08-2009, 12:44 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,563,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

Interesting....It seems that the older one gets, the less they believe. I would have thought it would be the reverse.

Signs of a Culture Change? Younger Scientists More Likely to Believe in God : Framing Science
The news for people of faith is not good. Since 1990, the last time the survey was conducted, the number of people who claim no religion at all has risen from 8% to 15%. In contrast, all of the mainline denominations have seen a significant decline in the number of people who describe themselves as participants. According to the survey, the number of Baptist declined from 19.3% to 15.8%. Methodists dropped from 8% to 5% and there are now approximately 2.8 million people who identify themselves with some sort of “new religious movement,” including “Wiccan, pagan, or Spiritualist.” These numbers are all the more troubling when you consider the fact that the adult population of the United States increased by “nearly 50 million” during the same 18-year period.

Christianity Under Fire: Why Fewer People Identify With the Faith | Christianpost.com

Remember what Thomas Jefferson said to John Adams...third president to the second:

"the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding"

Old 11-08-2009, 02:43 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,577,917 times
Quote:
I don't believe that is true...What I believe is that as one becomes educated in the sciences, the old myths make less sense.
That's nice do you have any support for that belief? Because I can support the idea that it's more about people from irreligious, maybe not atheist I'll back down there, homes being more likely to to go into science.

Caliber - Social Problems - 54(2):289 - Abstract

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur
You are not serious are you....Do you think that at over fifty scientists are washed up? That doesn't make any sense, as the older one gets, the more one knows. How old are you anyway? You must be an "ageist" Access : Older scientists publish more papers : Nature News
I was talking about discoveries and things of significance. After you do that you can publish a lifetime of papers tweaking what you did. Generally speaking though scientists usually don't do that much significant after fifty. Although this is more true in the physical sciences than the natural ones.

Granted there are exceptions. Mandelbrot did some or most of his most noted work after fifty. Still it's generally the case in every history of science I've read.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:19 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,165,804 times
Quote:
Insults are the last resort of the incompetent.
Hi sanspeur,

I apologize for my feeble attempt at humor as I didn't realize you would take it personally.

And inasmuch as you view me as incompetent, well perhaps as you get to know me, you will find this to be completely untrue.

I look forward to sharing more with you on this forum.

Blessings.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:31 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,165,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
"the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding"
Good morning,

I look forward to this day occurring and I know Jesus does to. What the Bible has brought forth as truth by way of Paganism is very obvious to those of us who follow the Divine Love path.

Common sense and a knowledge of the laws of God dictate that there is no such thing as a Virgin Birth, as we know Jesus was born as we all are to his father and mother, Joseph and Mary.

The thing that sets Jesus apart from the rest of humanity, however, is the fact that his soul, at the time of its creation, was given the potentiality to receive God's Divine Love. This is the reason why he was the Messiah, to proclaim to the world the good news about this free gift of love.

His message was lost over time and because men didn't understand it, they came to the conclusion that he must have been God on earth.

So it is this misguided information that is the basis for a belief in Christianity that is flawed. And the fact that Jesus died on the cross to save our sins is an error that must also be eradicated from people's belief systems.

Blessings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality