Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:07 AM

3,297 posts, read 9,192,238 times

Advertisements

My daddy smoked cigars not cigarettes. About 30 years ago he decided to quit and quit cold turkey. He's been smoke free ever since.

My husband liked to smoke cigars when we first married...he quit cold turkey and has been smoke free for 10 years now.

It can be done cold turkey but the will HAS to be strong. And faith is a key ingredient.

Yorkie...still thinking about you and praying for you. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,226 times
Red face <p>Yorkie_mom,

First of all, this is my first time being on this, and the first thing i saw was this, which was posted on here, what I have to say is that sometimes you may pray for the longest and think that GOd is not answering you, or he dosent cares, but what ever that case, he never forgets and he always cares, it is in the times where we feel that all hope is gone when we really have to fall on our knees and pray to God, he will always confort us, and he hears us when we call to him, and to be honest these things never goes away so fast but with Gods help and love theres always a way, so never give up, never lose your faith, and always believe...</p>

Old 03-04-2009, 11:52 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,601,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Hello, I have always been a firm believer of God, but I am now wondering if there is a God. The reason for this is, I have prayed many of times, for help in quitting smoking, and I really want to give up the addiction.
I have prayed for guidance in where to move to, along with what ever comes up, maybe I am doing it wrong or maybe I am to stupid to notice what he is telling me, but I feel like my prayers go unanswered.
I don't know if it is just me or if anyone else out there feels the same way, if anyone can help me get my beliefs back, so that I have something to look forward to when I pray, I would be ever so greatful, because right now I feel at a lose. Thanks ahead of time.
In 1991 I used to smoke a pack a day. I used to have people tell me many reasons why I sould quit but I LOVED smoking. But finally one day I realized I was waking up in the middle of the night to go buy a pack of cigs. Then the thought came to me ( or should I say God made me realize) I was no different from the drug user on the street; my fix was the cigarette.
So I decided I would try the gum, the patch etc. It took another two years without success when I finally decided this was NOT working. Then I finally humbled myself and told God I was not able to do this I can't do this on my own; I need His help

BINGO!!! That's is what God was waiting on...for me to admit I couldn't do it and I needed HIM. I got rid of that last pack and began to struggle through the withdrawal (anger , sweating continuously, fatigued ) for about two weeks and everything was gone. I am not telling you it will be easy but you have to realize YOU started smoking so YOU will have to suffer a little while. Just ask God to make the burden lighter not to remove it all together so you don't have to struggle...that is the core of Christian living... God's building an army of warriors; not a crib full of whining babies. Babies can't fight; they just get killed...if you know what I mean.
Keep the faith, trust in God and he will come through His way not yours

Old 03-05-2009, 06:12 AM

598 posts, read 917,690 times
Her story about quit smoking is a perfect example of God being useless.

If her body is addicted, how can God/religion help at all? Absolutely nothing. Instructions from God/religion on how to quit smoking? Absolutely nothing.

There are medical and non-medical products and services out there that can really help.

It's time to wake up and realize God is just a lie; religions are all about lying. Yes, it's about time for you to loose "faith".

Old 03-05-2009, 07:08 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,701,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
Hello, I have always been a firm believer of God, but I am now wondering if there is a God. The reason for this is, I have prayed many of times, for help in quitting smoking, and I really want to give up the addiction.
I have prayed for guidance in where to move to, along with what ever comes up, maybe I am doing it wrong or maybe I am to stupid to notice what he is telling me, but I feel like my prayers go unanswered.
I don't know if it is just me or if anyone else out there feels the same way, if anyone can help me get my beliefs back, so that I have something to look forward to when I pray, I would be ever so greatful, because right now I feel at a lose. Thanks ahead of time.
He's as real as Santa Clause, hun. God is a symbol of love and faith, but not a real entity, per se. Its up to you and some strong will power to make yourself change bad habits. They have therapy and groups to help with that smoking thing too. Good luck.

Oh ya, try that Patch, too. I hear it works

Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I think that's very narrow-minded. The longer I live, the more I realize that most people who say such things just haven't really gotten out and looked at the world in a serious way. You should read about thing like synchronicity or the "law of attraction" and so forth, those kinds of things are real.

If somebody feels that prayer isn't working, my guess is they aren't looking in the right places for results. Maybe people are eating the "Bread of Shame", to use a Kabbalistic term, maybe people are taking more than they are giving asking too much out of G-d, and not willing to look or seek after what is actually at hand, available to them. I am more Buddhist and New Age now days than Christian, so I don't believe in a wholely trascendent God that has a mind people can change. People have to do a little bit of work themselves. Having meditation abilities is very good for breaking a habit, so are chanting mantras and so forth. While you are chanting you can't be craving.
I agree with you Mag, I do. But I have to admit I feel Praying is equivalent to taking a plasebo. If you think its going to work, then it will, whether its from something the plasebo did is another matter. Its all psycho-somatic imho.

Hey if it works, it works, but that doesn't mean there was really some supernatural hand behind that act. Could just be that you gave your self some confidence to get something done and are attributing it to a god, when it was really just all you. But hey whatever works I guess

Old 03-05-2009, 07:38 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,601,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
He's as real as Santa Clause, hun. God is a symbol of love and faith, but not a real entity, per se. Its up to you and some strong will power to make yourself change bad habits. They have therapy and groups to help with that smoking thing too. Good luck.

Oh ya, try that Patch, too. I hear it works
If that is true then why socially we are getting worse with each decade? Gangs are at thier worst now, drug use at a all time high, the economy is tumbling down. Will strong will power get us out of this... I think not.

I personally can say because of my faith and devotion to God have no financial , emotional or health problems. I am 48 years old and look like I'm 33 years old (actually some corrected me and said I looked her age which was 31).

I just ASKED with a humble heart and I received.

Well, my life is happy, peaceful and full of joy... many blessing to you

Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,794,894 times
A nicotine patch will help you more than "god" ever will.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
If that is true then why socially we are getting worse with each decade? Gangs are at thier worst now, drug use at a all time high, the economy is tumbling down. Will strong will power get us out of this... I think not.

Well, my life is happy, peaceful and full of joy... many blessing to you
--Because humans created those situations on their own choices

--You can use willpower to stop smoking (I've seen it with my own eyes)which is what I was addressing

and good wishes to you too.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:45 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,654,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
Her story about quit smoking is a perfect example of God being useless.

If her body is addicted, how can God/religion help at all? Absolutely nothing. Instructions from God/religion on how to quit smoking? Absolutely nothing.

There are medical and non-medical products and services out there that can really help.

It's time to wake up and realize God is just a lie; religions are all about lying. Yes, it's about time for you to loose "faith".
Good post Bud. Just think of all the companies the would be out of business if power of prayer actually worked. In fact the health field would not exist. No drug stores, no expensive medicine needed. No Medicare Part A and B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality