Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:16 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
How many forms of satanism are there?
Not sure. At least three that I know about. I'm sure there's probably more, just like there's a lot of different flavors of other religions. Satanism was never a religion that I had a lot of interest in; as far as I'm concerned, the non-atheist Satanists that actually believe in Satan are just Christians. After all, to believe in the Christian Satan you have to believe in the Christian god, etc...which makes 'em just another Christian sect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Ptsum, have you read Dan Brown's latest fiction book "The Lost Symbol"? The main theme involves Freemasonary. (It's rather pro-Freemason) If you have read it, I'd be interested to know how much of what he writes is based in fact and how much is just his imagination. In any case, I found it an enjoyable read and it made me want to do some research.
I've read it. He gets a lot of things outright wrong, or twisted just enough to make them sensational.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:56 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Ptsum, have you read Dan Brown's latest fiction book "The Lost Symbol"? The main theme involves Freemasonary. (It's rather pro-Freemason) If you have read it, I'd be interested to know how much of what he writes is based in fact and how much is just his imagination. In any case, I found it an enjoyable read and it made me want to do some research.
I just recently got a copy of that book and have not had a chance to read it yet, however I'm assuming that as with his previous books that involves Masonic symbols and stories there is a certain amount of fabrication, though nothing harmful to the fraternity, I do know that the Freemasons of Washington, DC helped him some in promoting his recent book and that it was favorably looked upon by The Grand Lodge of the District of Columbia in Washington, DC and by the House of the Temple of the Scottish Rite, however I'm glad to see that you have decided to do some research into the fraternity and if this book has made you do that I consider that a good thing, you know the one interesting thing that people who are not members of or familiar with the Masonic fraternity is that there really are no secrets and that's the big secret, it's like any other fraternal organization, we have modes of recognition, which go back to the ancient stone cutters unions, our rituals are secrets but only to those who are not members and we do not go out and recruit membership, if you wish to become a member, you have to ask us, we don't ask you and it's really not that hard to become a member of the Masonic fraternity should you desire to do so. I think one of the reasons why the Masonic fraternity is attacked by outsiders and Christian organizations in particular is because we tolerate all types of religions and beliefs, we do not teach any religions or believes, we have no dogma and we are not a religion and I guess because we are the oldest and largest fraternal organization in the world is the reason the Christian organizations are afraid of us and yet they don't even know what we're about.
A question was brought up about what do we do when we sit together in lodge and my response was that we do the work of charity, well that's what we do, we raise money and donate to a large number of charities throughout the world, we support the Shriners burn hospitals, we support children's hospitals throughout this country, we support the language disorder centers, which helped children with dyslexia and other language disorders at no cost to the patients or their families, we support eye banks, we support orphanages and senior care centers throughout the country and were the first fraternal organization that helped Jerry Lewis and his Muscular Dystrophy Association and the list of charities go on, we do scholarships, we do grants, the Masonic fraternity in the United States alone spends over 2 1/2 million dollars a day to its charities, this is what we do when we sit together in a Masonic Lodge.

Last edited by ptsum; 11-09-2009 at 08:25 AM..

Old 11-09-2009, 08:10 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Good friend of mine here in Central WA is an active Freemason. We often engage in fun discussions about the failings of organized religion and of Christianity in particular.

I've considered joining, but then again, I've gotten to near the end of my happy and fully functional life absent any structured belief systems. Structure always restricts new ideas and abhors change.

But nonetheless, I'll agree that the Freemasons are a positive force. Certainly they do not proselytize at all, and are, rather, somewhat circumspect. To their credit.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:25 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
I thought real satanism as practiced was basically atheistic anyway. I also get the feeling it's only a few steps removed from Pastafarianism on the "not really serious" scale. What's there to worry about?
Well, I suppose one could "worry" about the devil worshiping neighbor, who, after years of his spells and incantations going awry, decides what he really needs to appease his private demon is a human sacrifice. Believe it or not, but.....humans have been known to do some truly stupid things.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well, I suppose one could "worry" about the devil worshiping neighbor, who, after years of his spells and incantations going awry, decides what he really needs to appease his private demon is a human sacrifice. Believe it or not, but.....humans have been known to do some truly stupid things.
Honestly, I'd worry a lot more about my fundie Christian neighbor than I would a Satanist. When was the last time you heard a Satanist say that his god was talking to him through a dog? How many Satanist serial killers have there been compared to Christian ones?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:31 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Freemasons and satanists don't try to convert me. .....
Correct. Masons (generally) do not recruit members. You have to ask to become one.

Quote:
Actually...you have to have a belief in a "higher power", not specifically a creator.
Correct. Masons sometimes refer to the Great Architect of the Universe, with the understanding that each Mason will interpret that to mean whatever Supreme Being he believes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
..... the dark powers of the witchcraft of Freemasonry .....
This statement is so obviously wrong that it doesn't even get a response from me.

Quote:
Ex-Freemasons have told all about it, but you will not allow their testimonies on this board, will you? I mean, if one investigates they go to the ex-s to reveal it all, as the ones in it, like you, will not tell all, will they?
Credibility diminishes with statements like this. How would ptsum or any other normal member of City-Data be able to disallow any posting in this forum? Masons will not tell you about the workings of their Lodge because they promised not to do so. Anything information you find about freemasonry claiming to publicize their secrets had to come from someone unwilling to keep their word and must therefore be suspect.

Quote:
..... we are told in the Bible to have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness. That freemasonery is a work of darkness is testified to by many ex-freemasons. Are they all liars? .....
See previous comment.

Quote:
..... and was always lusting after me -I mean he had a demon of lust shining right out of his eyes, .....
This would be contrary to the principles of Masons everywhere.

Quote:
..... He later became a county deputy, fat, and a good fornicator in the area, going though women like candy. .....
I guess you could tell by the uniform, and the profile, but how did you know he became a good fornicator?

Quote:
..... but ex-Masons for Jesus speak up about the darkness .....
Remember, they have violated a solemn oath.

Quote:
Wrong again, an atheist cannot be a mason, without lying about belief in a higher power.
This is also (obviously) correct.

Quote:
..... and his Masonic burial [he died of stomach cancer, young] was absolutely occultic, dark, and not of God in any way. .....
The official web sites of several of the Grand Lodges in the United States have posted copies of their "textbooks" or "monitors" that will contain verbatim copies of their funeral or memorial services. Anybody interested in the truth can go look and see what they say.

Quote:
And that higher power of a Freemasons belief, then, is no higher than the Freemason's god of the highest degree -who is revealed to be-?
So is the above a lie, or is it the truth? At the highest degrees are Freemasons knowingly worshipping Satan?
The first part of this makes no sense; there is no god of ANY degree in Masonry. Obviously. Freemasons do not worship Satan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
Freemasonry founded my university (which has "free-thinking" as part of its core philosophy), sooo...

(Continental European freemasonry is different from the main group. A belief in a supreme being is not required. The society has in fact defended secularism and freethinking, for example by supporting my secular university.) .....
Freemasonry has supported "free-thinking" for centuries. Requiring a belief of their members would not keep them from supporting a free thinking university.

Quote:
That could be it. I have a close friend in the masons and he and I have had this conversation -- he says they refuse membership to atheists.
Fundamentally correct about all the lodges I know about.

Quote:
..... Fact is that Freemasons are just as lost as any unrepentant, unconverted to the New Man sinners, born in Adam; and being a Freemason does not change a sinner into a born again in Christ Saint.
Totally unfounded, as Freemasonry is not a religion.

Quote:
Do Freemasons believe they built Noah's ark? Do they believe they built the Tower of Babel, or is that a "lie" told against them?
I've never head either of these things said inside a lodge or by a Freemason. I hate to call it a "lie," but it is definitely incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
..... here's a list of some very prominent Christians that are also Freemasons.

Billy Graham--
Robert Schuller---
Oral Roberts--
Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones
I can't find these names on lists of famous Freemasons. I could be missing something, though.

There is a pretty good list here: Famous Freemasons

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to keep things accurate.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-09-2009 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: creative spelling

Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I guess you could tell by the uniform, and the profile, but how did you know he became a good fornicator?
We are cousins -you know, like "relations", and there are many of us in the "clan", and we know what each is up to because we are all family, and what one does is not in isolation.
And he is still a Freemason, and yes, he lusted and I was in "danger" in his parent's home, but I kept my wits about me and evaded him.
As to the rest of your post, I find nothing but your own opinion, and I post links to prove what I say is true and "famous" among men means nothing to God. If Jesus does not know you, by your having been adopted into His New Man family, then it is a vain life with no lasting purpose and no happy forever.
A personal relationship with Jesus Christ by second birth from above is the only thing that matters, in light of eternity.

I do not believe that Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones was a Freemason. He stood against Billy Graham and believed his type of "evangelizing" was pseudo-Christian. He also believed totally in, and preached only, the Deity of Jesus Christ, and he preached nothing but Jesus Christ and Him cruicified, in his ministry in England, for over 50 years.
Dr Martyn Lloyd- Jones preached the exclusive Deity of the LORD Jesus Christ and the necessity of one being born again to inherit eternal Life. Freemasonry denies the Deity of the LORD Jesus Christ as YHWH come in flesh of second Man creation, and is therefore a spirit of anti-Christ.
Lloyd-Jones preaches against people denying the exclusive diety of Jesus Christ. You can read his message about that here;
http://books.google.com/books?id=xQ6...age&q=&f=false

From this http://books.google.com/books?id=xQ6...age&q=&f=false

Last edited by yeshuasavedme; 11-09-2009 at 05:15 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 04:47 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,666,479 times
Quote:
We are cousins -you know, like "relations", and there are many of us in the "clan", and we know what each is up to because we are all family, and what one does is not in isolation.
And he is still a Freemason, and yes, he lusted and I was in "danger" in his parent's home, but I kept my wits about me and evaded him.
As to the rest of your post, I find nothing but your own opinion, and I post links to prove what I say is true.
So he is a freemason, you are related and he wanted you?

Sounds like he is just a pervert, mentally ill. Nothing to do with Freemason.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,454,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
So he is a freemason, you are related and he wanted you?

Sounds like he is just a pervert, mentally ill. Nothing to do with Freemason.
Obviously, you did not read the posts at all, and are just interjecting opinions without even knowing what was said at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality