Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

You know, the other day, I was thinking about Satanism and how from what I read, it is indulging in whatever feels good but not in a way that harms others. They believe you should enjoy life and its pleasures not taking into account "sinful" ways. But, I was reading how if Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that he died for their sins that they will be forgiven for their sins, more or less instantly. So, that is what is still stumping me because while both the Satanist and the Christian could be both indulging in sinful acts, the one believing Jesus is God receives eternal reward and the Satanist indulging in the same behavior is hell bound for eternity. I guess, I'm never going to get it and it is never going to compute and that is why I gave up on the new Christianity. Actually though, I did learn that Satanism, while I would never practice it, is not as bad as I thought it was and at least they acknowledge God exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 08:23 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,044 times
I don't know that much about Satanism, but how you described it sounds like hedonism.

Hedonism:

Quote:
1: the doctrine that pleasure or happiness is the sole or chief good in life

2: a way of life based on or suggesting the principles of hedonism
Wiki says:
Quote:
Hedonism is a school of thought which argues that pleasure is the only intrinsic good. In very simple terms, a hedonist strives to maximize net pleasure (pleasure minus pain).

Old 04-21-2012, 09:57 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
It sounds like you are describing La Veyan 'Satanism', founded in the 1960s by Anton La Vey, which is a moral philosophy, not a (proper) religion.

Although he employed some classic satanic (i.e. religious) imagery in promoting his 'Church of Satan' and 'Satanic Bible', he actually mocked religious Satanists calling them Christians, reverse-Christians, devil worshipers, etc.

In other words, there is Islamo-Christian Satanism which is a sect of Islam or Christianity and bound by the worldviews of those religions, and there is La Veyan Satanisim which is a 60s counter-culture relic.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:11 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Actually witchcraft and wizards do not belief in God or satan or demons , but believe their so called gifts as their personal power separate of other spirits ...... satanist believe in the devil and God which the Lord said in the Word of God He will judge these who believed and rejected,, harder than those who never knew or were just ignorant in belief... Some Christians who intercede to the Lord Jesus know about satanist and will take up the authority of Jesus Blood and counter the power of satan from the curses that satanist put out in the world by the kingdoms of darkness.......

Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You know, the other day, I was thinking about Satanism and how from what I read, it is indulging in whatever feels good but not in a way that harms others. They believe you should enjoy life and its pleasures not taking into account "sinful" ways. But, I was reading how if Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that he died for their sins that they will be forgiven for their sins, more or less instantly. So, that is what is still stumping me because while both the Satanist and the Christian could be both indulging in sinful acts, the one believing Jesus is God receives eternal reward and the Satanist indulging in the same behavior is hell bound for eternity..[/quote]
Well, maybe when looked at from the Christian perspective. When looking at it from the satanistic perspective, they arent going to hell, because they dont believe in a hell, or heaven, or afterlife at all for that matter. If you want to know anything about satanism, I would suggest you get a copy of the Satanic Bible. I picked one up from Amazon for about 7.50 out of nothing more than curiosity. It was a good read and not at all what I expected. It is a serious worldview, to my surprise.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:36 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,623,807 times
Quote:
You know, the other day, I was thinking about Satanism and how from what I read, it is indulging in whatever feels good but not in a way that harms others. They believe you should enjoy life and its pleasures not taking into account "sinful" ways. But, I was reading how if Christians believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that he died for their sins that they will be forgiven for their sins, more or less instantly. So, that is what is still stumping me because while both the Satanist and the Christian could be both indulging in sinful acts, the one believing Jesus is God receives eternal reward and the Satanist indulging in the same behavior is hell bound for eternity. I guess, I'm never going to get it and it is never going to compute and that is why I gave up on the new Christianity. Actually though, I did learn that Satanism, while I would never practice it, is not as bad as I thought it was and at least they acknowledge God exists.
What you are actually describing here is what's known as antinomianism. Christians are not free to disregard the moral law nor are they freed from the confines of their natural sinful natures. We sin because we are sinners - which is not to be understood as being free to sin because we are sinners. Do you understand the difference?

There is to be a distinct difference between the one who follows Christ and one who follows Satan.

IYO, what would be the difference between "new" Christianity and traditional orthodox Christianity?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:11 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:

Satanist don't believe in ANY Gods. And I thought preaching was against the rules here.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Thereare a few varieties of atanism. What I recall most from anthropology studies waas that Satanism is not a religion per definition, in that it does not persevere through the generations, meaning that each group that pratices it must reinvent it for that time.
Anton LeVay mass marketed and branded it, and his form is a type of hedonistic atheism, lacking social or charitable programs. A few offshoots of his group do exist, but membership can be numbered in the tens not in the hundreds or thousands. Mostly, it is a very American phenomenon.

Two interesting observations are that Anton LeVay spoke out against Hypocrisy, and any acts of hypocrisy by Church of Satan members can result in censure or banishment. Actually, getting arrested will result in banashment as well. In hristianity, Jesus spoke out against hypocrisy but hypocrisy is widely acepted and practiced in contemporary American Christianity today.

Second, it is about perspective. All few hundred or so members of the COS recognize and endorse only each other as "Satanists" while evangelical Christians, for example , accuse anyone who is not part of their movement as being "Satanic" ...this includes atheists, Muslims, Pagans, Communists, Rock Stars etc etc etc ad nauseum

From what I can tell, there is nothing socially redeeming about either group, both represent extremes that represent man's desperation to catagorize and market a limited spect of the human psyche, an emption of fear or angst. Membership would be better spent for most in a series of weekly psychotherapy visits and a good prescription drug plan monitored and administered by a licensed psychiartrist.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:05 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
The same thing happened when the Spam Giant dared to tell the Flying Spaghetti Monster that pasta was not as good a meal as canned meat. The FSM smote the Spam Giant for his insolence, and now he sells canned peas.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:27 AM

5 posts, read 5,123 times
Most people in here seem to be speaking only about Laveyan Satanism. There are other versions, such as Theistic Satanism (aka Traditional Satanism), which acknowledges Satan as a real entity and a real God worthy of worship. Laveyan emphasizes the "self" as the god; Theistic Satanism emphasizes Satan as a separate entity and god.
I have explored both and have chosen Theistic Satanism. I have been a part of this religion for many years and couldn't be happier. We are NOT the animal-killing, child-abusing, evil people that the media is portrayed to be. I am actually very proud of my religion and completely unashamed of it. Ask me and I will tell you! Haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality