Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:42 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times

Advertisements

I'm sure many of us have seen the polls by now where we see that Christianity has since long lost its grip on Europe and losing more and more of it by the decade. Today, in many places over there, it is relegated to some antiquated relic of the past that receives some lip service here and there. It is hard to believe that the religion once dominated the region and was spread all over the various colonies that Europe held abroad. Now today, as Europe distances itself from the religion more and more and atheism is gaining ground, former colonies, notably in the Caribbean and Central and South America, are still so immersed in the former power religion of the countries that colonized them.

I guess it is safe to say that with the end of slavery and later discouragement of colonization, the use of Christianity as a controlling mechanism was no longer needed. Yet today, the colonized can't seem to see this and as a result hold on to the "master's" religion with a strong grip.

Gentle folks of C.D, what do you make of this? Your thoughts?

Last edited by InsaneInDaMembrane; 02-04-2010 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 01:03 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,988,477 times
I don't know if I am "gifted" but I have been called "special".

The Americas are generally decades behind Europe in social movements. Christainity (particularly Catholicism) is slowly declining in power and relevance in the western hemisphere. I believe by the middle to the end of this century the Americas will be were Europe is today.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
I don't know if I am "gifted" but I have been called "special".

The Americas are generally decades behind Europe in social movements. Christainity (particularly Catholicism) is slowly declining in power and relevance in the western hemisphere. I believe by the middle to the end of this century the Americas will be were Europe is today.
Good point.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:21 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Well, it ain't over till the fat lady sings, eh

Europe's got tough times ahead, like chickens coming home to roost. With minarets rising up in every capital, it's all hijab and barber salons going out of business LMAO

I wonder how they're gonna survive without pork. But let me tell you guys, halal meat's not too bad. It's somewhat tasty.

Perfect blue print for a continent which urinated on itself.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,462,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I'm sure many of us have seen the polls by now where we see that Christianity has since long lost its grip on Europe and losing more and more of it by the decade. Today, in many places over there, it is relegated to some antiquated relic of the past that receives some lip service here and there. It is hard to believe that the religion once dominated the region and was spread all over the various colonies that Europe held abroad. Now today, as Europe distances itself from the religion more and more and atheism is gaining ground, former colonies, notably in the Caribbean and Central and South America, are still so immersed in the former power religion of the countries that colonized them.

I guess it is safe to say that with the end of slavery and later discouragement of colonization, the use of Christianity as a controlling mechanism was no longer needed. Yet today, the colonized can't seem to see this and as a result hold on to the "master's" religion with a strong grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Europe's got tough times ahead, like chickens coming home to roost. With minarets rising up in every capital, it's all hijab and barber salons going out of business LMAO

I wonder how they're gonna survive without pork. But let me tell you guys, halal meat's not too bad. It's somewhat tasty.

Can someone translate these posts in plain English?

Old 02-04-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Elaborate please.

As for your other points, unlike Christianity which was adopted by Europe, Islam (in some places) is practially having a birth explosion in the midst of where Christianity once ruled. Amongst them, unfortunately, are militant whack jobs who wants to see all of Europe converted to their brand of madness.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:13 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
The Americas are generally decades behind Europe in social movements.
Not when it comes to racism.

Europe is like Alabama in the 1950s as far as Im concerned. Only difference is we can all use the same bathroom. Other than that, its incredibly racist.

Quote:
I believe by the middle to the end of this century the Americas will be were Europe is today.
I certainly hope not.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,564,648 times
I think there's a term for it like "colonial conservatism." Essentially colonists feel homesick so they maintain as much of their old way as they can. Over time this urge to preservation becomes an ingrained conservatism.

Also the French Revolution was in many ways more of a transformation than the American one. It was certainly far far more anti-clerical in nature. Although some hostility to established Anglican churches occurred in the American Revolution, it's nowhere near the same. Some of the Latin American revolutions had a strong anti-clerical bent, but even then independence from Europe was generally the greater issue. In addition Napoleon spread some of the secularizing ethos of the Revolution to the rest of Europe.

However from my perspective this means something different than it would to you. The way I see it Europe is increasingly unimportant on the world-stage and experiencing stagnation on at least some fronts. That the colonies are more conservative is a positive thing. The US is still on its first Republic, well okay maybe second if you count the Articles, not its fifth or sixth. Even nations like Brazil might be on the verge of expanding importance not benign irrelevance. It's even possible the lack of religion has helped weaken European sense of purpose and need for posterity. (Although I think it's likely more of a symptom than anything) So they go into demographic decline and get overshadowed by their former colonies as already happened with the US viz-a-viz Europe.

Why secular Europe might be an evolutionary cul-de-sac has been written about many places, but is probably not the discussion you desire. Although maybe later I'll try. Or not. And perhaps never more appropriately I say Zai Jian!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:59 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,236,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

No it is not safe to say anything!

With the end of Slavery?...Slavery is still going on in many different ways.....it has just put down the whip...and they have made you feel responsible with brainwashing, that you need to work for money to have something in the bent system...that God has already given you!

They have taken away your rights to life living under God, and doing good service for God in the world, and in the garden...
So it can be polluted and sold back to you in a can or box of grand convenience with an expirey date on it....and of course the tax...you have to pay the tax to support them...and the rent...and you need the id cards...and licences for more cost effective control....etc

Papers please!

Move along...You can't stay here....

This is top secret...

Now if you look hard enough...the whip has become a batton stick, and tazers, and guns, and or bombs...and the tv /media is the propoganda machine.
To make you believe you're part of a society of some social class of difference from slavery,,,when it is the same thing with a different face...and all kinds of lies and liars and criminals running it!...and are supported by the peasants hard work....Give em a piece of nickle plated tin or brass with some fancy glitter, and words of promise in a untrue value, that will apease them...WHile they hord the gold and silver and natural resources and burn down the forests, and pollute their rivers and streams..and all the life in them...for our benefit???? in wealth or ill health?? and false profits in exchange for real prophets, and their bent control, using the police and the secret police, to keep us in longer and longer lines!!.

High hitler!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
No it is not safe to say anything!

With the end of Slavery?...Slavery is still going on in many different ways.....it has just put down the whip...and they have made you feel responsible with brainwashing, that you need to work for money to have something in the bent system...that God has already given you!

They have taken away your rights to life living under God, and doing good service for God in the world, and in the garden...
So it can be polluted and sold back to you in a can or box of grand convenience with an expirey date on it....and of course the tax...you have to pay the tax to support them...and the rent...and you need the id cards...and licences for more cost effective control....etc

Papers please!

Move along...You can't stay here....

This is top secret...

Now if you look hard enough...the whip has become a batton stick, and tazers, and guns, and or bombs...and the tv /media is the propoganda machine.
To make you believe you're part of a society of some social class of difference from slavery,,,when it is the same thing with a different face...and all kinds of lies and liars and criminals running it!...and are supported by the peasants hard work....Give em a piece of nickle plated tin or brass with some fancy glitter, and words of promise in a untrue value, that will apease them...WHile they hord the gold and silver and natural resources and burn down the forests, and pollute their rivers and streams..and all the life in them...for our benefit???? in wealth or ill health?? and false profits in exchange for real prophets, and their bent control, using the police and the secret police, to keep us in longer and longer lines!!.

High hitler!
Which god are we referring to, sir?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality