Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times

Advertisements

Be Honest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 08:21 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Be Honest

who the heck is at war with Christianity....lmao

Being critical of Christianity is not being at war......

Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
I'm not. I'm not at war with anyone. Except maybe the snow...

Old 02-03-2011, 08:30 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
No.

I'm not a fighter; I'm a lover.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
who the heck is at war with Christianity....lmao

Being critical of Christianity is not being at war......
Lol! Yeah seriously...its not like I act any different toward Christianity than I do other religion...I treat every one with equal ridicule

It just so happens Christians impose their religion on me more than any other religious group. And those every once in a while scary Jehovah's witnesses that won't stop ringing your front door bell if they know you're home.

Once someone imposes their religion on me, you should understand I don't want to be saved by you and you're not doing me anything but a disservice.

I believe more in the Giant Flying Spaghetti Monster. To quote someone else...all hail his noodleness!

Ramen...

Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Why are you at war with Christianity?

I am not at war with christianity, I am simply not a believer. I am not at war with the Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, and Original Sin - either.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
There are groups at "war with Christianity." The main two I can think of are Radical Islam and Communism. Also some of the more extreme Hindu Nationalists and Buddhist Nationalists are also "at war with Christianity."

Radical Islam feels that Christianity tends to produce a kind of "schizophrenia." Sayyd Qutb felt that Christians end up separating Church and State so much that they/we pull ourselves in different directions. For an example if, as a Christian, you believe divorce-and-remarriage can only be allowed "on Biblical grounds" then how can you be a Justice of the Peace? After all you'll be marrying divorced people whose divorce was not Biblically valid. And how can you pay taxes to a system that might not be compatible to Christianity? To Qutb the idea of "give to Caesar what is Caesar's" is rank hypocrisy. It requires the Christian to "serve two masters" or have contradictory values in public versus private. Islam, in Radical Islamic thought but sometimes in regular Islam too, is everything. There is to be no separation of "Islam and state" because Islam is the guiding ideology of the state. It's not the state being ruled by clerics, at least not in Radical Sunni, but the state having Islam as its law. From this perspective even Radically ultra-conservative Christian theories of "Throne and Altar" create a tension he, and most Islamists except maybe Shiites, find unworkable. I believe some Radical Muslims also feel Christianity encourages idolatry and drunkenness. (As I recall Christian-ran bars and liquor stores are a big target for Islamists in the Mideast)

As I recall Buddhist and Hindu Nationalist opposition to Christianity is largely based in anti-colonialism and anti-imperialism. Radical Islam's is too, to an extent, but it has other elements some of which I went over. Anyway to Buddhist (like in Sri Lanka or Burma) or Hindu Nationalists Christianity is often seen as a suspicious remnant of foreign power. Possibly even a "Fifth Column" attempting to undermine things. Although in Burma/Myanmar I think it's maybe more that the regime sees Christianity (and Islam too) as an irritant in efforts to create a united Burmese identity. The Christians in Myanmar are largely ethnic minorities and by remaking them as Buddhists it's hoped, I suppose, to make their assimilation easier.

As for atheists here I don't think they would see themselves as "at war with Christianity", but certainly several of them are explicit in seeing opposition to Christianity as important. One possibility is the old-school Catholic belief of "error has no rights." Atheism is true and as "servants of the Truth" they feel compelled to route out "falsehood" as they see it. For others they are working through a possibly abusive upbringing or community that contained Christianity and that they associate to Christianity. It's "apostate testimony", or "apostate rage", that you see in most religions and maybe even in diet plans or self-help groups. Although at least two atheists here I don't think are strongly opposed to Christianity or to "de-conversion."

Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
People of any religious background who are at war with another religion are usually insecure in their religious beliefs, or are using religion to act-out some personal issue that has nothing to do with religion, or are just plain brainwashed by their respective religious tribe. Religious hatred is everywhere, and Christians are no exception, although I've noticed over the years that Buddhists are probably the least obnoxious of any religious group. I think they're onto something.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:34 PM

421 posts, read 448,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Be Honest
No one can really be at war with Christianity. Doesn't make sense.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:16 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Why are you at war with Christianity?

Go and take a peek at the Christianity forum and then ask....

Why are you at war with yourselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality