Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 01:57 PM

73 posts, read 143,627 times

Advertisements

Before I say what I'm going to say, I just want to let you know that I was raised Christian, even went to Catholic school, and because of my lack of culture I was forced to believe it. Once I reached public school and was taught about other religions--I realized that I wasn't Christian becuase I had such a hard time believing in hell.

It took me years to accept this, and I recently realized why. I've been conditioned. And I truly think that all Christians are conditioned, I'm sorry if this is offensive, it's what I believe. Why do you believe in the Bible? Is it because you are afraid of Hell? In my teachings, I was conditioned to believe that if i sinned, Hell was my consequence. Eternal damnation seems pretty scary. Hundreds of years ago, when they didnt' have a core form of government, how do you think that they gained control of all of those people? The fear of eternal damnation. And if you didn't believe in this religion that damned all wrong doers, (in fear that you would do wrong) then you would be damned as well. But still, I have a hard time saying I'm not Christian because of my long history with it, and also because they scared me when I was a little girl with their pictures of "satan" and evil serpents.

I have a religion, but basically I'm just kind to people, which is how everyone should be, and pretty much the basis of every religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 02:27 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
My belief in God and His Word are not based on fear, but love. I don't have religion, I have a relationship with the Lord, I know Him, He knows me. Yes I believe in eternal hell for those who don't accept Jesus as Savior but that is not what keeps me believing. I know the peace that only the Lord can give, peace that cannot be obtained by worldly things. My husband just out of the hospital, they thought he had a stroke, praise the Lord, he did not, but it was the grace and love of God that strengthened me during that trying time. I felt His love so strong. Being a Christian is not just insurance from hell, it is peace that we experience everyday in our walk with Him, to know that He is always there.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:59 PM

279 posts, read 1,348,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceface View Post
Before I say what I'm going to say, I just want to let you know that I was raised Christian, even went to Catholic school, and because of my lack of culture I was forced to believe it. Once I reached public school and was taught about other religions--I realized that I wasn't Christian becuase I had such a hard time believing in hell.

It took me years to accept this, and I recently realized why. I've been conditioned. And I truly think that all Christians are conditioned, I'm sorry if this is offensive, it's what I believe. Why do you believe in the Bible? Is it because you are afraid of Hell? In my teachings, I was conditioned to believe that if i sinned, Hell was my consequence. Eternal damnation seems pretty scary. Hundreds of years ago, when they didnt' have a core form of government, how do you think that they gained control of all of those people? The fear of eternal damnation. And if you didn't believe in this religion that damned all wrong doers, (in fear that you would do wrong) then you would be damned as well. But still, I have a hard time saying I'm not Christian because of my long history with it, and also because they scared me when I was a little girl with their pictures of "satan" and evil serpents.

I have a religion, but basically I'm just kind to people, which is how everyone should be, and pretty much the basis of every religion.
couldnt agree with you more! it's good to know that you allowed yourself to think outside of what you were taught to believe. wish more people would let themselves do that so they can open their eyes to the outside world and realize that there is so many other things that are more important and meaningful. have a great day !

Old 07-28-2007, 04:26 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,756,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
My belief in God and His Word are not based on fear, but love. I don't have religion, I have a relationship with the Lord, I know Him, He knows me. Yes I believe in eternal hell for those who don't accept Jesus as Savior but that is not what keeps me believing. I know the peace that only the Lord can give, peace that cannot be obtained by worldly things. My husband just out of the hospital, they thought he had a stroke, praise the Lord, he did not, but it was the grace and love of God that strengthened me during that trying time. I felt His love so strong. Being a Christian is not just insurance from hell, it is peace that we experience everyday in our walk with Him, to know that He is always there.
Amen, ILNC!

Exactly why I'm not "religious". I don't love the Lord for fear of what might happen to me if I don't.

I never even knew what having a relationship with Him meant until I broke free of that kind of guilt and fear.

Keep seeking Him, Staceface. Would you be open to a non-denominational church?

I'm not putting down Catholicism, but it obviously is not comfortable for you.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:41 PM

I'm not Christian, I've done a lot of studying and I've found where I belong. I feel that religion is simply kindess. Keep it in your heart, there's no need to run around and proclaim to everyone "I'm Joe, I'm a Christian" as long as you lead a good life you will acheive a personal nirvana.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:17 PM

28 posts, read 20,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceface View Post

Excellent post, Staceface. You've made that first great step towards thinking for yourself. Congratulations and welcome to reality

Christianity and other religions are just as you described. They were created by men to scare and control others and get them to behave and think the way they want them to. Christians will tell you that their beliefs are not "religion" but they are only fooling themselves. And yes, like everything else, they have been conditioned to say that as well.

Quote:
Exactly. You do not need a book or a supreme being to tell you how to be a good moral person. The ten commandments and the golden rule are common sense concepts which were around long before The Bible, and anyone can live by them.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:49 PM

thank you so much, too short and mithrandir, you have no idea how much it means to hear something like that in times of questioning. You've really made my day :-)

Old 07-28-2007, 07:15 PM

564 posts, read 1,901,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir_ View Post
Christianity and other religions are just as you described. They were created by men to scare and control others and get them to behave and think the way they want them to.
I don't think the intent of religions was to scare and control people. It seems to me that everyone "eventually" ponders the meaning of existence and religion certainly offers some answers/ideas. Maybe you disagree with them, but I think its kind of silly to think Christians are only Christians because they're afraid to be anything else.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:01 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
I don't think the intent of religions was to scare and control people. It seems to me that everyone "eventually" ponders the meaning of existence and religion certainly offers some answers/ideas. Maybe you disagree with them, but I think its kind of silly to think Christians are only Christians because they're afraid to be anything else.
You are correct. I am not a Christian out of fear, I love God because He first loved me.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:05 PM

Well, maybe you don't see it like i do because you are so faithful to your religion, but there are many people, and i know many, who call themselves Christian for fear of what will happen if they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality