Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:17 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,407,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
From what I've read and heard, neither can believers.
No we understand it, we can try to explain it, but oh well what's the point of going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 07:26 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,347,717 times
I post this with no illusion, that only those sincerely in search of the truth will spend the time to read and research it.

Yet I admit, after so doing, the rational mind will have no more ability to articulate the doctrine than before.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Blessed Trinity

Old 11-19-2009, 07:50 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,404,434 times
Default Trinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Nonbelievers cannot understand the Trinity.
There are plenty of denominations that don't believe in the trinity.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Yes there are.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:03 PM

33,566 posts, read 37,172,616 times
Quote:
No we understand it, we can try to explain it, but oh well what's the point of going on.
Well you must know more than the priests and nuns at the schools I went to as a youth....Their standard answer was "It's a mystery" I asked a lot of questions during my Catholic years and that answer came up a lot.

This is probably the best explanation I've seen, and it doesn't hold water.

Bible teaches us that God is three unique persons, yet he is ONE GOD. He is God the FATHER, God the SON (JESUS), and God the HOLY SPIRIT. We call this the Trinity*, or triune nature of God*. This is hard to understand, even for adults. However, water is a great example of how something can be three different things, and at the same time remain one thing. Water can be a liquid, a solid (ice), and a gas (vapor/steam).

God In Three Persons - The Trinity

Old 11-19-2009, 08:14 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,589,326 times
I will answer this question as a bible believing Christian. If a person believes the bible then it's very simple to believe in the trinity of God because it's a concept that is all throughout the bible. If one is trying to understand the bible one of the most important things to remember is that we use what is known for sure in the scripture to help us understand what is not so clear. It is very clear that the bible teaches over and over again that there is ONE GOD. This we know. So what are we to believe about this passage. Isaiah 44,6. Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and His Redeemer, The Lord of hosts, I am the first and I am the last, besides me there is no God. So here we have a passage of the bible where God and His Redeemer who is called Lord which means God, Are claiming there is no God but one God. Another good passage is John 1-3. In the beginning was the Word, {logos,meaning Jesus} and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the Beginning with God. All things were made through him and without Him was not anything made that was made. In Him was life and the life was the light of men. Here again we have 2 persons present in the beginning. If you go right to the beginning of the bible in the account of the creation you will find the third person of the Godhead. Gen 1, 1. And the spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
Here are all three in one involved in the creation.
There are numerous passages of scripture that make this concept very clear as a fact. The fact that we human beings can not understand it completely does in no way alter what the bible is teaching about the nature of God.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 PM

33,566 posts, read 37,172,616 times
Clear as mud...

Old 11-19-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
i will answer this question as a bible believing christian. If a person believes the bible then it's very simple to believe in the trinity of god because it's a concept that is all throughout the bible. If one is trying to understand the bible one of the most important things to remember is that we use what is known for sure in the scripture to help us understand what is not so clear. It is very clear that the bible teaches over and over again that there is one god. This we know. So what are we to believe about this passage. Isaiah 44,6. Thus says the lord, the king of israel and his redeemer, the lord of hosts, i am the first and i am the last, besides me there is no god. So here we have a passage of the bible where god and his redeemer who is called lord which means god, are claiming there is no god but one god. Another good passage is john 1-3. In the beginning was the word, {logos,meaning jesus} and the word was with god and the word was god. He was in the beginning with god. All things were made through him and without him was not anything made that was made. In him was life and the life was the light of men. Here again we have 2 persons present in the beginning. If you go right to the beginning of the bible in the account of the creation you will find the third person of the godhead. Gen 1, 1. And the spirit of god was hovering over the face of the waters.
Here are all three in one involved in the creation.
There are numerous passages of scripture that make this concept very clear as a fact. The fact that we human beings can not understand it completely does in no way alter what the bible is teaching about the nature of god.
amen!!!!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:42 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,377,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I post this with no illusion, that only those sincerely in search of the truth will spend the time to read and research it.

Yet I admit, after so doing, the rational mind will have no more ability to articulate the doctrine than before.

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Blessed Trinity
I find it interesting that in that Catholic Encylopedia article about the Trinity doctrine there is an admission that:

1. "In Scripture there is as yet no single term by which the Three Divine Persons are denoted together."

2. "The word trias (of which the Latin trinitas is a translation) is first found in Theophilus of Antioch about A.D. 180. The writers of this school contend that the doctrine of the Trinity, as professed by the Church, is not contained in the New Testament, but that it was first formulated in the second century and received final approbation in the fourth, as the result of the Arian and Macedonian controversies."

3. "It is manifest that a dogma so mysterious presupposes a Divine revelation. When the fact of revelation, understood in its full sense as the speech of God to man, is no longer admitted..."

(Such arrogance, to claim that mere scholars with their puny ever changing arm of flesh learning have the authority to command GOD to never again communicate with His children on earth, as He always did throughout the books of the Bible! Get God out of the picture and the scholars reign supreme, swaying sincere Christians whichever way groups of scholars choose to interpret the bible and professional paid clergy choose to teach their flock.)

What follows in that lengthy article from my point of view is just the typical ramblings of SCHOLARS doing their best to defend their own interpretations and opinions (and make a name for themselves) against the inevitable contrasting ramblings of other SCHOLARS.

It appears to me that the Trinity doctrine is obviously unbiblical, and is obviously manmade - it says so in the Catholic Encyclopedia! And Protestant denominations evolve from that mother church, which as historians know was organized long after the death of the Lord's apostles. (And as I see it, long after the apostasy from the Lord's pure doctrines.)

Link to the Catholic Encylopedia article on the Trinity doctrine:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15047a.htm

Old 11-19-2009, 08:55 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,404,434 times
Quote:
Nonbelievers cannot understand the Trinity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Quote:
Yes there are.

So how do you explain their non belief in the trinity? They are not non believers. The oness doctrine makes a little more sense than the trinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality