Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 01:09 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times

Advertisements

I was in a church today because I'm part of a choir that rehearses there, and I noticed that near the front door there are posts with bottles of hand sanitizer, for everyone who walks in to kill germs.

And I thought..

If only the bible had information on how to kill and avoid germs, how much more beneficial and useful that would be to civilization. Instead we just get a bunch of outlandish stories and contradictory morals that are impossible to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 01:38 AM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I was in a church today because I'm part of a choir that rehearses there, and I noticed that near the front door there are posts with bottles of hand sanitizer, for everyone who walks in to kill germs.

And I thought..

If only the bible had information on how to kill and avoid germs, how much more beneficial and useful that would be to civilization. Instead we just get a bunch of outlandish stories and contradictory morals that are impossible to follow.
This is pretty common in a lot of public places since the fear of swine flu has taken off as it has. Businesses and schools alike are starting to offer hand sanitizer at the door, as well.

This is nothing more that an ignorant post better suited for the atheist/agnostic forum. You know this, so don't bother arguing the fact that it is misplaced. I'm not a Bible thumper, but I do know Moderator cut: deleted as inappropriate when I see it.

Just out of curiosity, if you felt strongly enough to create a post like this, why did you not channel that energy into protesting the choice of venue for your choir rehersals?

This is one of those "It's late and I have nothing better to do with my time posts".

Last edited by june 7th; 11-25-2009 at 02:00 PM..

Old 11-25-2009, 01:59 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,970,278 times
Quote:

And I thought..

Sometimes, I really have to shake my head when I hear statements like the one above.

"If only the Bible had information on how to kill and avoid germs"

Maybe, (IF YOU HAD TAKEN THE TIME TO READ THE BIBLE,) you would of understood, the Bible did give us such information. Consider the link below.

Bible Evidences - Advanced Medical Knowledge

Old 11-25-2009, 02:29 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:

And I thought..

People without microscopes are going to have trouble understanding germs. However the Bible had a great deal about cleaning yourself, avoiding dead things, and not eating certain meats.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:26 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Sometimes, I really have to shake my head when I hear statements like the one above.

"If only the Bible had information on how to kill and avoid germs"

Maybe, (IF YOU HAD TAKEN THE TIME TO READ THE BIBLE,) you would of understood, the Bible did give us such information. Consider the link below.

Bible Evidences - Advanced Medical Knowledge

What is not to understand? Anything woman a touched was unclean if she was menstrating. And little girls were dirtier at birth than boys. There is a lot of science to support that! If you put a baby girl under a microscope you will see that she has two times the deadly germs as a boy does.

Oh and I read a little of your link....my son only bled a little tiny bit after being circumsized. And if their clotting is so bad, how on earth do newborns survive emergency heart surgeries at one day old? I think modern day doctors would do it on the 8th day if what your link says is true just to avoid lawsuits.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:51 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:

And I thought..

My thought is what happened to "thou shalt not kill"?

Old 11-25-2009, 07:59 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Religion believes that everything was just 'made' by the big deity in the sky. Therefore everyone should have all the immunities to bacteria and virus that are needed, as a species we have lived among these bugs for 6000 years.

Religion does NOT believe in evolution, therefore all the bacteria and virus cannot 'evolve' into something that we don't have immunity to, so there is no problem, right.

Thus if you get a flu shot, wash your hands because you want to get the germs off, then you are acknowledging that evolution does occur and you want to protect yourself from these 'evolved' bugs.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 AM

66 posts, read 95,161 times
You mean like telling people to wash in running water and go outside the camp to defecate and not eat shellfish in the desert and,,,?

The OT Law was largely given to help avoid sickness and disease.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:40 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouDon'tKnowMe View Post
You mean like telling people to wash in running water and go outside the camp to defecate and not eat shellfish in the desert and,,,?

The OT Law was largely given to help avoid sickness and disease.
Gosh, I don't know how many times I've eaten shellfish in the desert.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:50 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,553 times
There could have been signs all over the desert: where is the road to Saddom and Gamora. Was that before Abraham?

Anyway, the brilliant Gnostic subject of reading vs. realizing signs by the effort of grunts came up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality