Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 06:36 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,940,167 times

Advertisements

The impending Mayan doomsayer date, Dec. 21, 2012 is weighing heavily on the public's mind, according to The National Enquirer. In addition, Sara Palin, a devout born=again Christian, has been seen with her cute (and appropriately tight-fitting...) T-Shirt proclaiming:

2012: A New Beginning

Does this provide a happy, prophetically convenient dire announcement for wishful & teary-eyed End-Timers? Despite that it may well not coincide with Israel's collapse or a Middle East Armageddon or anything else that is supposedly an absolute minimum requirement for the last days.

There's a literal gold-mine of info readily available online (but NOT for free, mind you...)...

Survival Expert Rob Rellaw’s “Survival Resources for Tomorrow” #1 Survival Resource on the Net

Apparently you CAN easily survive this cataclysm through:

1) prayer

2) donations to your church

3) a good survival book, available at Amazon at good discounts!

4) getting to know Thy God, but do it soon... no late whiners accepted after Dec 19, 2012, midnight!

5) gold acquisition

6) prayer AND donations

But seriously, do any Christians here have well founded facts to support their belief that, finally, this, really, is, I'm telling yah, the real, actual, finally correct non-Nostradamus Prophesy of Prophesies?

('Cause, if it does come true just like the latest Hollywood movie, it will also be your last chance to be correct. After this one, we'll all just be toast! Apparently).

And if so, what should we do then, to "survive". (I really can't afford to purchase too much gold right now, much less give what I do have to my Church....

Help!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 06:43 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,408,688 times
I'll tell you what it means to this non Christian....a day to sit back and watch nothing happen and then log onto CD and join in the "I told you so" thread.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:58 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,034,254 times
You also have to take into account that the mayan calendar months were different than ours. From what I understand from my resources, Jesus was born in the year 0 but is reorded as year 7. So, then, 2012 has already passed and we are now living in the new era that dawned just a few short years ago. We are in the Correcting Times according to the Mayan calendar. 2012, from our calendar perspective, will be just another year and the fear mongers will still be around.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:17 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,889,710 times
The Mayans were smart enough to come up with a calendar that spaned several years because they saw the pattern in time. The Julian calendar, the one commonly sold around this time of year, only covers one year. At the end of this one year span, we normally throw out our old calendars and buy a new one. The Mayans were smarter than that, their calendar spans many years and is on a repeating pattern. The only thing that will happen is the calendar will start over. It was never intended to signal a doomsday event. Only modern times would come up with a notion that idiotic.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:46 AM

5,525 posts, read 7,365,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
The impending Mayan doomsayer date, Dec. 21, 2012 is weighing heavily on the public's mind, according to The National Enquirer. In addition, Sara Palin, a devout born=again Christian, has been seen with her cute (and appropriately tight-fitting...) T-Shirt proclaiming:

2012: A New Beginning

Does this provide a happy, prophetically convenient dire announcement for wishful & teary-eyed End-Timers? Despite that it may well not coincide with Israel's collapse or a Middle East Armageddon or anything else that is supposedly an absolute minimum requirement for the last days.

There's a literal gold-mine of info readily available online (but NOT for free, mind you...)...

Survival Expert Rob Rellaw’s “Survival Resources for Tomorrow” #1 Survival Resource on the Net

Apparently you CAN easily survive this cataclysm through:

1) prayer

2) donations to your church

3) a good survival book, available at Amazon at good discounts!

4) getting to know Thy God, but do it soon... no late whiners accepted after Dec 19, 2012, midnight!

5) gold acquisition

6) prayer AND donations

But seriously, do any Christians here have well founded facts to support their belief that, finally, this, really, is, I'm telling yah, the real, actual, finally correct non-Nostradamus Prophesy of Prophesies?

('Cause, if it does come true just like the latest Hollywood movie, it will also be your last chance to be correct. After this one, we'll all just be toast! Apparently).

And if so, what should we do then, to "survive". (I really can't afford to purchase too much gold right now, much less give what I do have to my Church....

Help!)
Christians are as diverse as any group.

I don't wish to be lumped into the paranoid doomsayer crowd.

There is, and always has been the "world is coming to an end" fringe group.

I will however make a prediction.

There will always be a "worlds is coming to an end" fringe groups

As a Christian, I believe TODAY is the day of my salvation.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:55 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,167,085 times
Its nothing more than another date on the calender and 4 days before Christmas. If most Christian believed in the Bible the way they say they do. Then they would remember that the word from the Creator says, "For you will NOT know the Day and Hours of my return, I will be like a thief in the night". So these date that humans have drummed up are from FALSE profits.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:11 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,647,817 times
This is a golden opportunity for religious authors to cash in on this prediction by writing and selling as many books as possible on the subject. They've got to be fast though because once that dreaded day has come and gone and nothing happens they won't be able to give those books away.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:30 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,167,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
This is a golden opportunity for religious authors to cash in on this prediction by writing and selling as many books as possible on the subject. They've got to be fast though because once that dreaded day has come and gone and nothing happens they won't be able to give those books away.
Just like all the doom and gloom that was stirred up over the year 2000 . Look at all the dipsticks that were trying to cash in on that one. I blame 99.99% of all the problems with this on the stupid media and the churches have got to be blamed for it as well.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:14 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,601,468 times
It means nothing in Christianity and if Palin-people wear shirts trumpeting 2012 it's most likely because they want her to be elected then.

We in the West also have a long-scale calendar called "The Julian Period." The Julian Period begins January 1, 4713 BC. It goes by day rather than year. The current Julian Day Number is something like 2455162. As originally conceived the Julian Period will end January 23, 3268 AD. I wonder if anyone will flip out over that.

Note: The regular calendar we use is the Gregorian calendar. I believe the only groups to still use the Julian calendar, which is different than the Julian Period, are Eastern Orthodox Christians.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 11-26-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-26-2009, 04:15 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,567,271 times
it means we asked god to leave and he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality