Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,798,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Kewl... the first zombie attack.
I feel a computer game coming on...to be launched at Easter .."Jerusalem Zombie wipeout"...followed by protests from the devout believers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:17 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,379,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Er..no. I am certainly not saying that. I am saying..yes, I think the term simply may be appropriate here..that the Gospel story, upon examination, appears seriously doubtful.
Shucks, thought you were maybe getting close to believing something rational.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:07 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,217,868 times
Every time I see this thread's title, The Sainst Go Marching In starts playing in my head.

Right, AREQUIPA, be rational like justamere10. [cough]

Old 12-02-2009, 04:19 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,379,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Right, AREQUIPA, be rational like justamere10. [cough]
I represent that remark.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,980,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I am VERY glad you stated this. I too believe they were written independently yet most Christians read them as though they are one. They fail to do justice to the books believing each book of the bible confirms the other. This is NOT the case. The writers, just like today, had their OWN opinions and came from different schools of thought as theology evolved. In other words, Christians read the bible devotionally and thus, read the bible horizontally as opposed to vertically. This has caused far more problems than most realize.

That being said THIS particular topic CANNOT be understated. The writer of Matthew mentions, what would amount to be, the most dramatic detail of the whole story - dead people rising from their graves and walking into Jerusalem to be seen by many. How three other "reporters" found none of that important is beyond me so either A) it NEVER happened and someone was just desperate to prove how great their hero was or B) three other reporters did not think it was important to mention something as unprecedented as this even though they report EVERYTHING else, almost word for word but just happen to miss that little detail.

Then consider the track record of this writer and realize he has a history of fabricating things in an effort to prove that Jesus IS who HE wants Jesus to be - king of the Jews.

It is possible, that Matthew himself was the only writer to actually experienced the dead saints rising, and that is why he felt confident to report that event. In either case, not to believe the Bible, only because that event was not spoken of by the others, would seem to be a weak arguement. Especially, when all the other writers have spoken equally of the Resurrection of Christ, and being with Him after His death. And I would remind you, those writers also experienced Christ ascension into heaven. So, either they are all bold face liars, or they are all speaking the truth. And of the 12, only one of them was not put to death. And who would die such a terrible death for a lie? Especially, when they could of gone free by denying Christ. Now that's a track record that should be considered. And the only one not killed, was John. They tried to boil him in oil, yet somehow he survived. And after that, Nero had him sent to the island of Patmos. And it was there, where John wrote the Book of Revelation.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,014,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
It is possible, that Matthew himself was the only writer to actually experienced the dead saints rising, and that is why he felt confident to report that event.
How did he pull that off? Are you saying that this was some secret event only he was privy to? His book says that these "saints" were seen by MANY in the city of Jerusalem. What the writer of Matthew is talking about is an UNPRECEDENTED event here, Campbell, that no other contemporary writer or any since ever corroborated. Don't you find this odd? Again, notice how the other 2 Gospel writers mention the SAME events leading up to and beyond this quaint story the writer of Matthew mentions. It is soooooooo obvious this was a LATER interpolation to strengthen the case for Jesus it is not even funny.

Quote:
In either case, not to believe the Bible, only because that event was not spoken of by the others, would seem to be a weak arguement.
This was no ordinary event this writer describes.

Quote:
Especially, when all the other writers have spoken equally of the Resurrection of Christ, and being with Him after His death. And I would remind you, those writers also experienced Christ ascension into heaven.
What does any of this have to do with a bunch of dead stiffs coming to life and walking into a busy city to be seen by MANY (allegedly)? THAT is the subject at hand here. Not Jesus' [alleged] resurrection and his [alleged] ascension.

Quote:
So, either they are all bold face liars, or they are all speaking the truth.
Guess which one I'll pick?

Quote:
And of the 12, only one of them was not put to death. And who would die such a terrible death for a lie? Especially, when they could of gone free by denying Christ. Now that's a track record that should be considered. And the only one not killed, was John. They tried to boil him in oil, yet somehow he survived. And after that, Nero had him sent to the island of Patmos. And it was there, where John wrote the Book of Revelation.
Campbell this is an old tired Christian argument. I used to use it. There are crazy people running around dying for lies just about every day. Billions of people in this world are following religions started by people who claimed they heard voices (they call it "god") talking to them (or so we are told). Belief, no matter how strong it is, does not a truth make. You should know that, sir.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:15 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,014,959 times
Imagine this scenario:

You hear sirens screaming down your street just after hearing a loud boom you thought was thunder. You head outside to look down the road to see what is going on. You see multiple police cars and fire trucks while news reporting vans file in in droves. You see the scattered pieces of a huge jet amidst a huge fire without any signs of survivors as the professionals on the scene begin the gruesome job of cleaning up the mess.

Hours later you return home to flip through the stations for new coverage on what happened. The reports are all consistent:

1. Pilots called in reporting trouble

2. Jets fall off radar moments later, no further response from cockpit

3. Jet crashes moments later and burst into flames. No survivors.

This is the kind of reporting consistency you expect to hear leading to a crash and the aftermath. Now imagine one reporter saying the same thing from the scene with all the other witnesses around him/her but then adds:

"I saw 150 people get up in the midst of the flames and walk past me to go grab something to eat."

What would you think about that reporter? What's the obvious question you would ask here?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,881,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
And who would die such a terrible death for a lie?
So the fact that Islamic suicide bombers blow themselves sky-high is proof that Islam is the truth eh? After all, who would die such a terrible death for a lie??

Old 12-02-2009, 11:47 PM

33,574 posts, read 37,202,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I feel a computer game coming on...to be launched at Easter .."Jerusalem Zombie wipeout"...followed by protests from the devout believers.
Your must be prophetic! Online Zombie Games - Free Flash Arcade

Old 12-03-2009, 01:28 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,980,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
How did he pull that off? Are you saying that this was some secret event only he was privy to? His book says that these "saints" were seen by MANY in the city of Jerusalem. What the writer of Matthew is talking about is an UNPRECEDENTED event here, Campbell, that no other contemporary writer or any since ever corroborated. Don't you find this odd? Again, notice how the other 2 Gospel writers mention the SAME events leading up to and beyond this quaint story the writer of Matthew mentions. It is soooooooo obvious this was a LATER interpolation to strengthen the case for Jesus it is not even funny.

This was no ordinary event this writer describes.

What does any of this have to do with a bunch of dead stiffs coming to life and walking into a busy city to be seen by MANY (allegedly)? THAT is the subject at hand here. Not Jesus' [alleged] resurrection and his [alleged] ascension.

Guess which one I'll pick?

Campbell this is an old tired Christian argument. I used to use it. There are crazy people running around dying for lies just about every day. Billions of people in this world are following religions started by people who claimed they heard voices (they call it "god") talking to them (or so we are told). Belief, no matter how strong it is, does not a truth make. You should know that, sir.

The verse tells you, the saints were seen by (MANY), it did not say the saints were seen by (ALL). And your belief that the verse was added is based on what? Do you have any evidence to back up your statement? Because the Majority Text, which numbers in the thousands of copies show us nothing to suggest your statement is based on anything factual.

And it just so happens, I'm one of those people who have heard the voice of God, and He has never lied to me. Once he told me my wife was going to have a child, and four hours later my wife discovered it was true. Another time God told me to pray for a job, and as soon as I said the (A) of Amen, the phone began to ring next to me, and while I was still on my knees, the man on the other end of the line offered me a job. Belief, that is supported by evidence, is the truth.

Also, you have to take into account that each writer was writing to a different audience. Matthew was writing to the Hebrews, Mark was writing to the Gentiles. Luke was more intrested in writing about the life of Christ, then the events that surround Him. So naturally, not everything that occured back then will be found in all of their accounts. And that is a fact, and it matters little how important you believe dead saints walking around were.

John 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written.

No doubt the follower of Christ saw so much that was going on with Him, that the fact that some saints were walking around at the end, was not that important to them. They spend days with Christ after he was raised from the dead, who cares about some dead saints walking around. You would really have to put yourself in their position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality