Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:33 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,690,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
So pass a noise ordinance...

... but banning Minarets is like banning church steeples. It's silly.

I'm no religions nut, In fact I don't believe in ANY organized religious institutions, but is the mere sight of a religious oriented building really offensive to so many people?

In my city (SLC, UT) I think the prettiest buildings are the downtown mormon temple and the catholic cathedral. You'll never find me inside either of them, but they are beautiful structures that add, not detract from the area.

It all boils down to racism and closed-mindedness.
There is a time and a place for everything, including architectural styling. Personally as a tourist I don't take a trip to Switzerland and see minarets. I travel there to see Swiss history and architecture. And perhaps for some chocolate or skiing

If I want to see minarets, I'll go someplace where they are the attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 10:58 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,835,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
There is a time and a place for everything, including architectural styling. Personally as a tourist I don't take a trip to Switzerland and see minarets. I travel there to see Swiss history and architecture. And perhaps for some chocolate or skiing

If I want to see minarets, I'll go someplace where they are the attraction.
So translate that to America.. We should only build adobe buildings in the Southwest, wood longhouses in the East, Sod houses and Tipis in the midwest and cedar plank houses in the Northwest?

Granted, Switzerland is far more homogeneous and has a far longer "western" history than America, but the world is a dynamic and changing place. The Swiss have no problem putting immigrant middle easterners to work on menial jobs, and when a group of people comes to a new place, they traditionally bring elements of their architecture which mark their passing.

No one takes a second look at at a Minaret in the South of Spain, even though they aren't "native" to the area. What is really going on is a hefty helping of ethnocentrism.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:06 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,691,565 times
Apparently, there aren't many (total 4?) minarets in Switzerland. Jon Stewart had an excellent segment:
Jon Stewart on Swiss Minaretaphobia | World | AlterNet (http://www.alternet.org/blogs/world/144367/jon_stewart_on_swiss_minaretaphobia/ - broken link)

Old 12-04-2009, 11:09 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,841,817 times
But back to the original topic concerned about free secularist education. How is a person to be taught about his native tongue, his rearing at home, her (then 'her') history of nationalistic beliefs? SO the 'ganging up' is really a blessing and wish that the education system have some naive vision for REBIRTH all over America (or is it England).

Atheism is a rather limited subject for history and sociology. But the subject of sex education and urban management of life plans is still reflective towards a decision about various faiths. Perhaps privacy is something to be taught at school as well.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,649,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Why don't they just podcast it?
I just got a mental image of the old ipod commercials (ya know, the colored backround with silhouettes dancing) but with more 'stereotypical' muslims dancing instead.

I'm not sure if that's offensive or not, but it made me laugh a little.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:46 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,417,461 times
Quote:
Rabbis, Jewish groups back Muslims on minaret ban | International News | Jerusalem Post

Here's an interesting story to read.

Surprise, surprise, Athiests can also be dogmatic Moderator cut: Deleted as insulting who go too far with their personal beliefs and encroach on the beliefs of others! Switzerland banned the construction of Minarets. Now some architectural styles are too "goddish" and need to be banned?!

Apparently it's stupid enough that Jews and Muslims are actually willing to join up to fight it.

Maybe Atheism is the solution for the ongoing conflict in the Middle East too?
The usual hysterical chicken little act.

Firstly, minarettes are not religious, they are an architectural feature alien to Switzarland architecture.

Secondly, NO WHERE in the story does it claim Athiests are responsible. The legislation was forwarded by the Swiss People's Party, not an Atheist organization, and passed by 57% of the population.

Your thread is merely another example of a hsyterical over-reaction made by people who think "religious freedom, equality, and tolerance" means they have some imagined inherent right to impose their religion onto everyone else.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
So pass a noise ordinance...

... but banning Minarets is like banning church steeples. It's silly.

I'm no religions nut, In fact I don't believe in ANY organized religious institutions, but is the mere sight of a religious oriented building really offensive to so many people?

In my city (SLC, UT) I think the prettiest buildings are the downtown mormon temple and the catholic cathedral. You'll never find me inside either of them, but they are beautiful structures that add, not detract from the area.

It all boils down to racism and closed-mindedness.
No, it's like banning an ultra-modern office building in a historical section of a city.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
The usual hysterical chicken little act.

Firstly, minarettes are not religious, they are an architectural feature alien to Switzarland architecture.

Secondly, NO WHERE in the story does it claim Athiests are responsible. The legislation was forwarded by the Swiss People's Party, not an Atheist organization, and passed by 57% of the population.

Your thread is merely another example of a hsyterical over-reaction made by people who think "religious freedom, equality, and tolerance" means they have some imagined inherent right to impose their religion onto everyone else.
My argument is that it is stupid to ban minarettes because they ARE JUST architectural features. Yet in you next breath you accuse me of trying to force my religious point of view on everyone?! Go back and read before you point fingers Axis.

The whole premise here is that people are trying to force their beliefs on another group of people, an act I find unjust and just plain silly.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
No, it's like banning an ultra-modern office building in a historical section of a city.
No it's not. The country of Switzerland is NOT a historic district. I am not arguing for throwing them up Las Vegas style everywhere, but a complete ban on a mere architectural feature is ludicras and reeks of racial hatred.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
My argument is that it is stupid to ban minarettes because they ARE JUST architectural features. Yet in you next breath you accuse me of trying to force my religious point of view on everyone?! Go back and read before you point fingers Axis.

The whole premise here is that people are trying to force their beliefs on another group of people, an act I find unjust and just plain silly.
Speaking of reading, perhaps that is a skill you should indulge in.

I did not say "you", I did not imply "you", "you" did not write the article and "you" aren't the one over there trying to reverse a democratically passed law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango
No it's not. The country of Switzerland is NOT a historic district. I am not arguing for throwing them up Las Vegas style everywhere, but a complete ban on a mere architectural feature is ludicras and reeks of racial hatred.
Switzerland has some of the oldest buildings in Europe, so yes, there is traditional architecture to consider, and minarettes are absolutely alien to that area of the world.

And as others have noted, there are other considerations as well, such as noise and religious concerns.

Minarettes are not a religious requirement, a majority of Swiss have spoken, no Muslim religious rights or freedoms are impacted, tough bananas for Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality