Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:43 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,057,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Have Christians Ever Defended Any Other Religion's Rights?
Christians often like to use phrases like "religious freedoms", but, beneath the surface they only mean christian rights. Exclusively. I think that christians would be the first to trample upon the rights of any other religion.

My parents did and they are Christian. When I was a child and my school taught Christianity in the public school system they and a few other families took on the school system to have the weekly christian teaching taken out of the school. They believed that religion had no place in public schools as everyone wasn't Christian or that particular brand of Christianity. I have always been really proud of them for that. I am not Christian now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 03:09 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,661,072 times
I think there's actually a large number of Christians who are strong defenders of the state of Israel as well as the Jewish faith.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaguy View Post
i think there's actually a large number of christians who are strong defenders of the state of israel as well as the jewish faith.
+1

Old 12-08-2009, 04:01 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,223,889 times
So far...
Not much of substance. Socially acceptable posts. Wonderful virtues, enough to get one all bleary eyed at the goodness.
When creating this thread I considered writing Judeo-Christianity, assuming that posters would point out instances of Christians defending Jews.
However, aren't Christianity and the Jewish religion very similar?
I was wondering if anyone can point out any instances where Christians have defended the rights of other religions, like Islam, Hinduism, etc.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:23 PM

13,774 posts, read 26,630,240 times
Actually I mentioned Baha'i, which is maybe relational but in a more distant manner. The US Catholic Bishops have discussed persecution of Tibetan Buddhists in China.

USCCB - (SDWP) - Response to Religious Persecution

Organizations devoted to religious liberty, in general terms, contain many Christians. Even some atheists here aren't agreeing with you.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:29 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,223,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Actually I mentioned Baha'i, which is maybe relational but in a more distant manner. The US Catholic Bishops have discussed persecution of Tibetan Buddhists in China.

USCCB - (SDWP) - Response to Religious Persecution

Organizations devoted to religious liberty, in general terms, contain many Christians. Even some atheists here aren't agreeing with you.
Are the catholic bishops really concerned about the persecution of Tibetan Buddhists in China, or just interested in being critical of China? Many of America's religious view China as an enemy.
I'd still like to hear some examples of Christians defending the rights of other religions.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:56 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,636,356 times
Religions don't defend freedom of belief - people of conscience (of all stripes) do that.

The problem with the Abrahamic belief systems is that they tend to support a view that God may send great tragedy (judgements) if it's definition of 'sin' is condoned by the government.

Remember I said they "tend" to.

Modern mainstream Christians believe in free will, but yet some fundamentalists also have that constant threat of wrath filled vials hanging over the land ready to spill their angry contents onto the country if things go to far (for instance - if gay marriage is 'endorsed' as valid).

What we see happening now it that constitutional issues are being voted down in states by popular opinion which eventually must stop. That's the safeguard and strength of the constitution. That's what keeps 51% of those in a democracy voting to enslave the other 49%.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:32 PM

13,774 posts, read 26,630,240 times
Quote:
Are the catholic bishops really concerned about the persecution of Tibetan Buddhists in China, or just interested in being critical of China? Many of America's religious view China as an enemy.
I'd still like to hear some examples of Christians defending the rights of other religions.
The Vatican has Swiss guards, so I'm guessing they don't have a bitter hostility to Switzerland, but they did criticize the Swiss minaret ban.

Swiss minaret ban condemned by Vatican - Telegraph

If Islam is too "Abrahamic" the Pope also backed Sikh complaints on the French ban on turbans.

French turban ban gets Sikh group into action

If that doesn't work because its "self-interest they're banning Catholic symbols too" than there's the Christian-created Beckett Fund. They have apparently done litigation on behalf of several non-Christian groups including Lakota Sioux traditional religion and a Hindu temple.

http://www.becketfund.org/index.php/case/32.html (broken link)
http://www.becketfund.org/index.php/case/87.html (broken link)

If that doesn't work because they're "anti-atheist" and only doing it as an "agenda to weaken church-state separation" than okay I give up.

Not because I'm saying such arguments would be totally invalid, but using them you could argue pretty much no one ever really defends the rights of group they disagree with themselves. Example by these kinds of arguments I could say atheists who defend the rights of Christians in Iran are only doing it because they dislike Islam more and are the kind of atheists who like to criticize Iran. Or because they hope that an Iran that gives unregistered Protestants more rights will eventually give atheists rights. That it's simply self-interest. Or atheists who defend religious people persecuted by Communists, if such atheists exist. I mean I'm certain they do, but I don't know if I can name one offhand so who knows? And if they're doing it I could just argue it's in the hopes of freer expression for non-Marxist atheists.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 12-08-2009 at 10:51 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 06:01 AM

50,115 posts, read 20,872,061 times
It's always possible to argue that some religion will leap to the defence of another if it sees its own privileges threatened. Thom. R mentioned the recent defence of the minaret.

It is possible to argue that there were worries that if it's minarets today couldn't it be church spires tomorrow? And yet someone also pointed out that minarets are not traditional Swiss but church spires are, so it's hardly likely that banning minarets would be followed by the call to demolish church towers. So it looks a lot more like altruism, and, though one could postulate some more subtle agenda, perhaps they could be given the benefit of the doubt. So, yes, Christianity has, for one reason or another, defended other religions at times.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-09-2009 at 06:10 AM..

Old 12-09-2009, 11:40 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,124,734 times
Quote:
So far...
Not much of substance. Socially acceptable posts. Wonderful virtues, enough to get one all bleary eyed at the goodness.
When creating this thread I considered writing Judeo-Christianity, assuming that posters would point out instances of Christians defending Jews.
However, aren't Christianity and the Jewish religion very similar?
I was wondering if anyone can point out any instances where Christians have defended the rights of other religions, like Islam, Hinduism, etc.

1. Here is a recent example of Catholics who are standing up for the rights of persecuted Muslims in India:

The Catholic Bishops of India have appealed for justice for the country’s Muslim minority which, in recent years, has been targeted by Hindu fundamentalists in various states of the federation, reported Fides. The Muslim community forms about 10 percent of the whole population.

Read more....

Bishops defend Muslims, demand report on living conditions of religious minorities

2. Father Rasshaert in 1964 gave his life to save a group of Muslims from rioters:

In early 1964, the pestering of the largely christianized Garo tribals in East Pakistan by the Muslim majority culminated in bloody terror, killing many hundreds, which sent the survivors fleeing to their brethren in India. Their arrival sparked off a wave of "revenge" against Muslims in Chotanagpur and Orissa, killing hundreds. On 24 March 1964, Father Rasschaert tried to intervene in the siege of a mosque (which served as shelter for hundreds of Muslims) by an armed mob of tribals.... He was hit on the head, fell down, and was finished off with knives and axes. His parishioners in the mob took his body away and gave it a Christian burial.

Read more....

Father Rasschaert's Martyrdom

3. In Brazil:

Many catholic missionaries have been murdered in Brazil for
defending the rights of Indian peoples. Lately, several death
threats have been uttered against dom Aldo Mongiano, bishop of
Roraima

Read more....

Demonstration is Held to Support Death-Threatened Bishop (http://forests.org/archive/brazil/moredie.htm - broken link)

4. The Vatican explicitly declared in Dignitatis Humanae that all persons have an innate right to religious freedom:

This Vatican Council declares that the human person has a right to religious freedom. This freedom means that all men are to be immune from coercion on the part of individuals or of social groups and of any human power, in such wise that no one is to be forced to act in a manner contrary to his own beliefs, whether privately or publicly, whether alone or in association with others, within due limits.
The council further declares that the right to religious freedom has its foundation in the very dignity of the human person as this dignity is known through the revealed word of God and by reason itself.(2) This right of the human person to religious freedom is to be recognized in the constitutional law whereby society is governed and thus it is to become a civil right.

Read more....

Declaration on religious freedom - Dignitatis humanae
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality