Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:13 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times

Advertisements

I so miss my first preacher... I am So Baptist and I didn't start going to church until I made my own decision to do so. I think I was 24. Every word the man spoke I felt like he was talking to me. Never a time did he not have my attention. he was not afraid to use emotion, he did not scream, he was the best. I was Baptised by him when I was 25 and now I am 33. About 3-4 years ago he moved and church has never been the same. We had speakers, we had other preachers. For 2 years we did not have our own preacher. Our family changed churches looking for something new, the church we dont go to now is ok, but in no way could I go to the preacher and say, Look, I am having this problem, what can I do. I feel like when My first preacher left a part of me left with him. When my mother passed he was able to comfort me, when my sister was arguing with me about my mother I would talk to him after the service and explain the situation and he would say, "Got your Bible?" He would tell me where to turn and there was my answer. Never once again has that happened since he left and I haven't been to church since last year. I feel lost not going to church like a part of me is missing, but when I am at church I dont feel anything. I dont feel the spirit, I dont get a message. Nothing. I am hoping that when we move we will find a church that suits our needs and if I need to talk to the preacher I can go up to him and be able to do so. It is the worst thing not to be able to communicate with your preacher and have your deacon hounding you about why you aren't at church, I just told him why...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 08:34 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
I like both when they are genuine. I don't respond well to shame. I like to leave a church service, not feeling comfortable, but with something to think about. I have done so after hearing a quiet, humble preacher and when hearing a vibrant, energentic speaker. When a preacher interprets "fear of God" to mean actual fear, I shut down. I'm not afraid of God. I respect God and want to do right by God because it is the right thing to do, not out of fear of punishment. I don't rob people. But it is not because I am afraid of being caught. I don't rob people because it is wrong.
I totally agree with you on this. Some of the older preachers scared you half to death and turned many away from Christ because of this, or they had so much fear for God, they could not love Him or see His love for us.

Many in today's church don't want to offend anyone so they avoid topics that need addressed in church.

Still others have a general theme to base theri sermon around that comes from their central office; ie Southern Baptist Association, etc. How can a sermon be God filled if a human told you what to preach on?

Churches need God in them to thrive. Pastors need to follow what the Spirit is telling them. A good mix of fire and brimstone and gentle direction and guidance should always be there. No Shame, I agree with that as well, how can you teach if you shame?

Old 05-19-2007, 11:14 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
If I was a religious person I think I would like someone like Billy Graham who seem to be completely sincere, doesn't live a rich lifestyle, and doesn't try to mix show business with his sermons. The ones with thundering voices who are always overbearing and in your face are the worst of the bunch. I also can't stand the ones who dress up in ridiculous garb and overstyled hairdos.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:17 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
If I was a religious person I think I would like someone like Billy Graham who seem to be completely sincere, doesn't live a rich lifestyle, and doesn't try to mix show business with his sermons. The ones with thundering voices who are always overbearing and in your face are the worst of the bunch. I also can't stand the ones who dress up in ridiculous garb and overstyled hairdos.
Neither can I am I am well I don't use the term religious since I feel that is man-made, but I am Christian and know exactly what you are talking about.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:28 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
With the sound systems of today, it's not necessary for them to yell to get our attention! And I think that would be really off-putting, especially when they start shaking their fingers or fists, with words of condemnation rather than of the Holy Spirit with words of conviction.

But I do like a little life in a preacher -- and a little humor in the preaching. In no way do I believe God wants us to sit there like half-asleep stones. I am left practically void of spirituality when a preacher 'reads' his message from the notes he has or whatever he printed from the internet.

I also personally would rather hear topical messages than expository preaching. I think expository preaching is great for teaching purposes, but just not great for Sunday services. (Ok fellow Baptists! I know some of you have to disagree with that!)

Old 05-19-2007, 11:32 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
Quote:
I have seen plenty like this, not only on tv, but right here in my small town. There is only the one that I can think of here in town that is like that, but he wears his silk suit, expensive haircuts, drives a VERY expensive decked out Cadillac...not to mention his wife is VERY HIGH MAINTENANCE as well. I'm sorry, I can understand that God Blesses us, but this guy is too extreme! I tried to listen to him preach a couple of times, but he is so phoney! He tries to act all humble etc...it just doesn't work for him!
But he is the exception, not the rule! My pastor lives in a MODEST home, drives a MODEST car (Dodge Stratus and a nice OLDER Chevy Van he uses to tote people to and from church) and the only reason he has the newer Stratus is because there old car kept breaking down and they are just too old to worry about repairs and such. They are just very down to earth REAL people!!!
Your car, your attire and your riches WILL NOT win people to Christ! Only your personna and your love for Christ can do this

Old 05-19-2007, 11:46 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
agree montana
Quote:
I agree montana. Billy Graham is one of a kind. He is the only televangelist I have ever respected. He is respected around the world. I grew up hearing his crusades. I have not listened to his son, but I hope he carries on his fathers tradition.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:16 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
I don't like a lot of yelling, but a little at times is okay. I don't want to fall asleep in church either by someone who is monotone or has a soft voice. I guess I like a lively, vibrant preacher. But one who is funny! I know I'm gonna catch some flack, but I really like Jimmy Swaggart. My mom used to listen to him and watch his TV shows and as a kid I HATED having to listen to that stuff or have to watch him on TV. I made fun of him during the whole prostitution thing. Needless to say, I wasn't a fan. Then one day I was listening to a preacher on a radio station. I didn't know who it was, but what he had to say was absolutely right on. At the end of the sermon, I found out it was Swaggart. I tuned in again. I also enjoyed listening to the call in show. Needless to say, I don't make fun anymore and I believe that if God can forgive Jimmy, why shouldn't I? Are we not all sinners who need forgiveness, whether our sins are secret or out in the open for all the public to criticize?

Old 05-19-2007, 05:30 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
When you really think about it the preachers who don't tend to draw alot of attention and aren't really trying to in the first place are probably the ones with their heart in the right place. I went to a dinner in my hometown several years ago with family members and their pastor attended. He was a very pleasant younger man who was friendly, outgoing and I just had the feeling that he would be a good influence as a pastor because his passion in his work was genuine. Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean I can't appreciate sincerity and the intentions of well meaning people.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:27 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
I guess this is just a different strokes for different folks thing, but I prefer calm almost conversational preaching. I also like for the speaker to inject some of their own experiences. Obviously, we form doctrine by scripture not man's experiences but it helps "flesh" it out a little bit when they tell a story out of their own lives. I don't know how many of you are familiar with Dr. Jack Hayford, but he is an example of someone I really like to listen to. He can communicate the uncompromising Word of God but yet do it in a non-condemning, loving, insightful way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality