Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:11 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,123,941 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were at church tonight during a 24 hour prayer vigil. As local speakers throughout the Bronx came to speak, we listened to a variety of styles and messages. As we were driving home, we discussed the vastly different styles that speakers have...some calm and gentle, some virbrant and expressive and some extremely boisterous in their presentation.

My wife spent some time in the pentecostal church which had very loud speakers that you could hear outside on the street and I had some you had to strain a little to hear. So the question is, which kind of a speaker do you prefer and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 08:16 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,220,708 times
vibrant and expressive definately

Old 05-18-2007, 08:49 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,633,277 times
Hmm, well, if I still went to church, (or if I was ever to go back), I would prefer calm and gentle, or sometimes vibrant and expressive, depending on my mood. I had a belly-full of "extremely boisterous", (and all that it represents to me), during most of my life. I have no desire to listen to it, again.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:04 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,208,218 times
The old Fire and Brimstone preacher, the one not afraid to tell it like it is, the one anointed by the Spirit.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:05 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,268,958 times
I like both when they are genuine. I don't respond well to shame. I like to leave a church service, not feeling comfortable, but with something to think about. I have done so after hearing a quiet, humble preacher and when hearing a vibrant, energentic speaker. When a preacher interprets "fear of God" to mean actual fear, I shut down. I'm not afraid of God. I respect God and want to do right by God because it is the right thing to do, not out of fear of punishment. I don't rob people. But it is not because I am afraid of being caught. I don't rob people because it is wrong.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:09 PM

22,989 posts, read 28,455,171 times
I go for the soft-spoken and sincere. The screamers and pacers tend to remind me of professional wrestlers more than ministers.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:15 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,585,608 times
My mother in law used to say"What we all need is a good old fashioned hell fire and damnation revival" We didn't have cd then

Old 05-18-2007, 09:29 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,921,074 times
I just want sincerity.

I want to be able to hear the voice of God through this man and know that not only does he really believe what he's preaching, but he's living it as well.

Sometimes a lot of preachers of both styles come off just 'going through the motions' etc.

God forgive us all for making the gospel boring, ya know?

Last edited by Alpha8207; 05-18-2007 at 10:43 PM..

Old 05-18-2007, 11:30 PM

373 posts, read 1,856,900 times
I like ministers that are fairly calm and conversational but who offer a really great, inspiring, practical sermon based on scripture. I like ones who can take the Bible and show me how it's relevant to my everyday life. I like ones that remind me of your favorite teacher. I always think of Jesus as a friendly, calming teacher. That's how I like my ministers, too. I prefer those that focus on what you should do, not what you shouldn't do. I don't know...people are all motivated differently. I don't like a lot of fire and brimstone stuff. It makes me tune out. I'm analytical, and too much emotion is a turnoff for me.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:46 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,028,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
The old Fire and Brimstone preacher, the one not afraid to tell it like it is, the one anointed by the Spirit.
I also like most of the fire and brimstone style of preaching. Not the ones that yell and scare the little ones but the ones that are really speaking through the Holy Spirit. I could sit and listen all day to a preacher that is really pumped up with energy and FIRED UP for Christ. But trust me, this CAN be accomplished WITHOUT the yelling
Our church pastors are both pretty calm and conservative and pretty soft spoken, for the most part. But there is one man that is actually the current youth leader (but is leaving and my husband will be taking over) and this man can preach like there's no tomorrow! When he talks, people listen
This man is an ex-marine that was saved while in the military. He almost comitted suicide one night in a hotel room...then he pulled out the good ole Gideons and was saved that night! He's been fired up ever since...about 10 years now...He really has the gift from God!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality