Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 01:26 PM

982 posts, read 3,309,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A guy is on his way home from work on his lunch hour, he is running late, pressed for time and last but not least he catches every single red light in town. At the last red light he catches, he notices some teenages in a old camaro right behind him with their music up real loud, he thinks to himself just gr8!. Then the camaro behind him honks several times, all the kids in it are waving at him, so he waves back. Then they do it again, hes already stressed and thinks okay whats with the honking, but turns around anyway and gives a hateful wave. No sooner had he turned around they start honking wildly and yelling, OK now he thinks they have HAD IT!!!! so he gets out slams the door and walks back to the car. and YELLS OKAY what is you PROBLEM???? The kid driving looks at him and says, Well your bumper sticker says,"HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS"
LOL!!!!! That's a good one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 12:49 AM

5,909 posts, read 3,806,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I've got a new Monte Carlo. Anybody wanna race. It is so fun to be the first one to GO on that green light. If you see a little white GMC truck with a front license plate with the name of a local church on it. Thats my hubby. He drives real slow in the right hand lane and blows his horn at all the other cars and trucks that sport anything religious on them
Lol...hey Blue, that's funny! What Hoosier said is true, we are all just humans and when we get behind these weapons of steel we ALL act up. I love to drive fast, and I irritate the crap out of people. I'll race ya!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:28 AM

989 posts, read 2,763,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Now my vent.... I'm getting sick of horrible, rude, nasty drivers that have that sticker on their cars! They do their stupid, rude driving and then I notice the sticker and then I get even more mad at them! Aren't Christians supposed to be caring and loving? To me, it's hypocritical. They actually go to church and put their "holy" sticker on their car and then drive like a maniac cutting off people, aggressively tailgating and stuff. What is wrong with these people? I'm almost to the point to call the church up and complain about their churchgoers. It just makes me more sick of religion and big churches.

I think what is actually happening is a psychological phenomenon known as "reinforcement principle". What is happening is 1) you see bad driving, 2) you see the "CCV", 3) You associate bad driving with CCV. Since the idea of a "religious" person driving bad upsets you, you get upset and make the moment more vivid, making it easier to remember. This is also [in my opinion] what causes people to think Asians, women, old people, etc are bad drivers. Ask yourself how many times you have said "yep, an Asian woman driving safely at the speed limit, doing everything right" vs "bad driver, yep, she's Asian"

Now, if you see bad driving but not the CCV the incident, it is quickly forgotten. Also, the CCV doesn't stand out under "normal" driving conditions. I have heard similar stories only with the "fish"

Old 05-22-2007, 11:32 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,726,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlevo View Post
I think what is actually happening is a psychological phenomenon known as "reinforcement principle". What is happening is 1) you see bad driving, 2) you see the "CCV", 3) You associate bad driving with CCV. Since the idea of a "religious" person driving bad upsets you, you get upset and make the moment more vivid, making it easier to remember. This is also [in my opinion] what causes people to think Asians, women, old people, etc are bad drivers. Ask yourself how many times you have said "yep, an Asian woman driving safely at the speed limit, doing everything right" vs "bad driver, yep, she's Asian"

Now, if you see bad driving but not the CCV the incident, it is quickly forgotten. Also, the CCV doesn't stand out under "normal" driving conditions. I have heard similar stories only with the "fish"

Don't know if I've shared this before but an former girlfriends father used to say "Women drivers...no survivors!"

Old 05-22-2007, 03:39 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,759,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I had a fish symbol on the back of my first car and did it because I thought it was cool and many of my friends had one too. Now I choose not to have one on my car for the exact reason this thread was created. I make mistakes on the road and I do get upset on the road too. So I don't want people thinking bad things about Christ or the church.

IMO people will look for any excuse to call Christians hypocritical. They'll use any excuse to say negative things about Christians. So it doesn't matter if you have a fish on the back of your car or not, or a bumper sticker like salababy mentioned; Christians are destined to be picked out of the bunch to complain about.
I get what you're saying, HG. But the fish symbol on my car makes me much more conscious of my behavior when I'm driving, or getting in and out of my car. As we see from the responses on this thread Christians are held to a higher standard. So, when I get aggravated, or annoyed, I remind myself that there could be someone watching just waiting for the Christian hypocrite to do something wrong. It kind of keeps me in line.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:47 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,639,075 times
I read a good line on the internet today. "I want to die quietly in my sleep like my Grandfather did, not like the screaming passengers on the bus he was driving."

Old 05-22-2007, 07:30 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,726,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
I get what you're saying, HG. But the fish symbol on my car makes me much more conscious of my behavior when I'm driving, or getting in and out of my car. As we see from the responses on this thread Christians are held to a higher standard. So, when I get aggravated, or annoyed, I remind myself that there could be someone watching just waiting for the Christian hypocrite to do something wrong. It kind of keeps me in line.
Yes I do agree with you Ms. Charlotte. I do believe the fish symbol is a wonderful tool for many people! I just know that my driving is not always the greatest...and I do try hard. I hold myself to a higher standard without the fish on my van because as hard as I try...from time to time I do get frustrated and do things I know I shouldn't.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:32 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,214,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Yes I do agree with you Ms. Charlotte. I do believe the fish symbol is a wonderful tool for many people! I just know that my driving is not always the greatest...and I do try hard. I hold myself to a higher standard without the fish on my van because as hard as I try...from time to time I do get frustrated and do things I know I shouldn't.
try having a real estate magnet on your car and being required by the NAR to adhere to exempliary conduct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality