Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,625,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
The world would be a wonderful place if we all acted like Jesus, and not like Christians.
And there it is, in a nutshell. You've hit the nail on the head with this one!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:27 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,638,050 times
I noticed there was no response to my question about how the Bible can instruct us about birth control when birth control didn't even exist when the Bible was written. I can see why, it's a tough question and the obvious answer is that churches have concocted their own answers from church leaders (that would be men of course) and they are the ones laying down the law even though there is no Biblical basis for it.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:30 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,625,801 times
Eh, well, don't feel too bad, Montana. My questions weren't answered, either.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:18 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,303,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I noticed there was no response to my question about how the Bible can instruct us about birth control when birth control didn't even exist when the Bible was written. I can see why, it's a tough question and the obvious answer is that churches have concocted their own answers from church leaders (that would be men of course) and they are the ones laying down the law even though there is no Biblical basis for it.
I said the bible has a statement where it says man should not spill their seed on the ground...this has been interpreted to mean people should not use birth control...

I believe its in Genesis 38.

Whats funny is that I feel its completely taken out of context because the story is of a man who is sleeping with his brothers widow, he spilled his seed on the ground and was killed for this...

SO your saying you should sleep with your brothers widow out of wedlock, conceive children which are attributed to the dead brother but you can't spill your seed on the ground, allrighty then...

Its totally posible that there are other parts of the bible that speak about this, however this is the only one I am personally aware of, since it was not an issue when I was growing up, it was not pursued.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:30 PM

Lisa_From_Debary wrote:
Quote:
I said the bible has a statement where it says man should not spill their seed on the ground...this has been interpreted to mean people should not use birth control...
That's some pretty creative interpretating. As I said before, the Bible can't give anyone advice on something that didn't even exist when the Bible was written so I would take these interpretations with a grain of salt.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:36 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,303,916 times
Quote:
Lisa_From_Debary wrote:

That's some pretty creative interpretating. As I said before, the Bible can't give anyone advice on something that didn't even exist when the Bible was written so I would take these interpretations with a grain of salt.

I totally agree, its not my interprtation, I'm just passing it along...like I said there well may be others as well but this is one that had been brought up to me...

Old 05-20-2007, 06:43 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,048,877 times
Quote:
There actually was birth control in the ancient past. The ancient Egyptians used pessaries (insertion/barrier...I won't go any more into it than that...anyone who is curious can Google), and probably coitus interruptus. The ancient Greeks did too. Most cultures have used abortificants too...something that was eaten and caused bleeding or was somewhat poisonous but was hoped not to be poisonous enough to kill the user as well.

Given that, you would think there would have been something firm said about birth control in the Bible if it were something God was presumed to disapprove of. Something more firm than simply not spilling seed, since that was obviously not the only form of birth control.

Last edited by JerZ; 05-20-2007 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: misspelled a word

Old 05-20-2007, 07:16 PM

842 posts, read 3,231,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
There actually was birth control in the ancient past. The ancient Egyptians used pessaries (insertion/barrier...I won't go any more into it than that...anyone who is curious can Google), and probably coitus interruptus. The ancient Greeks did too. Most cultures have used abortificants too...something that was eaten and caused bleeding or was somewhat poisonous but was hoped not to be poisonous enough to kill the user as well.

Given that, you would think there would have been something firm said about birth control in the Bible if it were something God was presumed to disapprove of. Something more firm than simply not spilling seed, since that was obviously not the only form of birth control.
You just don't "get it" because you're not a Christian.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:33 PM

jbornar wrote:
Quote:
You just don't "get it" because you're not a Christian.
And that means what???

Old 05-20-2007, 07:39 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,213,807 times
Wow I am glad I am not posting in here looks like a war is about to break out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.