Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I think the question itself is based on a presumption about faith that I notice in many a dialogue, that faith is motivated solely by the negative in human nature--fear, anxiety, disassociation--rather than the positive--intuition, love, communion.

Can I deny that many are motivated by base emotions? No. Do I deny the broad brush posed at me. Well, of course. Absolutely. But which of us is really bristling?
Bingo. Many militant atheists on this board have a very narrow view of religion. Either the religion they left really is that narrow, so they know no other kind, or their ability to read non-science works is poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 03:12 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
This is not biblical. God commanded that we "be fruitful and multiply". This commandment is for all humans. The reason is that regardless of our upbringing some will end up in hell and some will end up in heaven. Even the ungodly can produce righteous offspring, for the children will see what not to do.
OMG (not that I haven't seen this answer before - so my shock is not total but - it always shocks me a bit to see it in black and white).

The scenario you propose is INSANE - absolutely nuts!!!

So... God wants 100,000,000,000 born so he can have his few? ("Few there be who find *it") (*it = eternal {actually aionian} life)

And even if you want to abstain from the whole process (creating heaven/hell candidates with the odds stacked against them) you or FORCED to by a commandment?
Quote:
The reason is that regardless of our upbringing some will end up in hell and some will end up in heaven.
What the hell kind of reason is that???

Seeing this eternal torment illogic day after day is killing me, flat killing me. (well, that's an exaggeration - but it is pretty weird stuff)

Quote:
STD's are prevented if you do not have sex with multiple partners. If you have sex with one person for life, who you know is free of disease, then you will not spread STD's. That is why God's way is best. To be married to a person of the opposite sex and marry while both are virgin's.
Did someone mention STDs? I agree with what you are saying but don't see the relevance here. Maybe I missed something?

Old 12-29-2009, 05:32 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
OMG (not that I haven't seen this answer before - so my shock is not total but - it always shocks me a bit to see it in black and white).

The scenario you propose is INSANE - absolutely nuts!!!

So... God wants 100,000,000,000 born so he can have his few? ("Few there be who find *it") (*it = eternal {actually aionian} life)

And even if you want to abstain from the whole process (creating heaven/hell candidates with the odds stacked against them) you or FORCED to by a commandment?

What the hell kind of reason is that???

Seeing this eternal torment illogic day after day is killing me, flat killing me. (well, that's an exaggeration - but it is pretty weird stuff)

Did someone mention STDs? I agree with what you are saying but don't see the relevance here. Maybe I missed something?
You do not know the power of God. Many people will make it to heaven in comparison to the few that end up in hell. The bible is clear that there will be a "Multitude of people which no man could number giving praises to God" (see Revelation)!

I replied to a post that mentioned STD's above, yes you missed something!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:00 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,693 times
Quote:
You do not know the power of God. Many people will make it to heaven in comparison to the few that end up in hell. The bible is clear that there will be a "Multitude of people which no man could number giving praises to God" (see Revelation)!

Apparently god has very little power! If he can't figure out how to save everyone then he has no power. He can't figure out how to feed the world...no power. so on and so on....and this "no man could number" thing is silly. We can do it here on earth with a census...why not in heaven?! And if "many are called but FEW are chosen" then who are all these multitude in heaven?

Old 12-29-2009, 07:30 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,616,363 times
Quote:
Well, that's good that you don't subscribe to the "few there be who find it" dogma However - one single creature, even a dog or a cow (much less a human), suffering unceasingly for eternity is one too many.

Quote:
OK Yeah - I see it now - Duh

Old 12-29-2009, 07:44 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,685,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Apparently god has very little power! If he can't figure out how to save everyone then he has no power. He can't figure out how to feed the world...no power. so on and so on....and this "no man could number" thing is silly. We can do it here on earth with a census...why not in heaven?! And if "many are called but FEW are chosen" then who are all these multitude in heaven?
There ya go with the "militant atheist" logic again. Militant religious people hate that.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Wow - amazing language and associatedModerator cut: deleted as inappropriate Arent you ungodly since you do not believe in Islam? Would the righteous offspring be a Buddhist or a Hindu? How do you know other than it comes from a bible? Your god is spreading his word in the form of different books - go figure. He tells buddhists/sikhs/jews/muslims/ etc to raise kids differently. At the very least, it looks like different gods got together and distributed the "areas of influence" - just like the mafia dons.

I think the world has moved on into a new century although mullahs in Afghanistan and Saudi will certainly agree with you.
I am accurate, not ungodly!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Well, that's good that you don't subscribe to the "few there be who find it" dogma However - one single creature, even a dog or a cow (much less a human), suffering unceasingly for eternity is one too many.
No, I believe what Jesus said "few there be that find it." It is preferable that all find it. Jesus' idea of "few" is larger then ours.

A cow or dog has done nothing to deserve eternal damnation. People who have rejected the Christ must go to hell because that is the only place left for them to go. Since they chose to reject him, they also chose their eternal fate.

Hell was created for Satan and his angels. Humans who end up there are tormented by the fires intended for Satan. However Satan who intended to put his throne above God's, hates God and all who bear his image. That means that he will also torment all humans (who is an image of God) for eternity.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:17 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,685,638 times
Quote:
I am accurate, not ungodly!
Faith and accuracy dont mix.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:32 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,913,530 times
Default There's no "agony forever"!

Quote:
I strongly disagree. If I believed there was even the slightest chance that one of my offspring would be in agony forever - I would make absolutely certain that I created no 'eternal hell candidates'.

So IF someone is an eternal hell believer - having kids would be unconscionable. That's more proof that in their heart of hearts - they really don't really believe it.
So! This perhaps explains why illiterate Christian parents are so pathologically frantic about forcing their children to abandon critical thinking, science and rock music, right? Why they are SO insistent on forcing Intelligent Design on school boards.

Children, especially teens, are prone to rejection of parental discipline, and rightly so, since it allows them to explore alternates. It's a part of societal and behavioral evolution ,which is anathema to organized dogmatic religion and it's active suppression of knowledge.

Sadly for devout disciplinary Christian parents, as witnessed most openly with the Amish, the harder they push and cajole and discipline, the harder those same bright-thinking children fight back. The the truth and the light have a way of seeking the highest leve; they want out! Well, at least the Amish let them go for a brief period to see the evils of a Godless existence. But they also lose a few. Regular Christians, thankfully, lose a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality