Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:20 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,747,499 times

Advertisements

Just a thought, Ive saw a few times on threads that Christians witness to just feel good about themselves or to fill seats. In some cases those are probably both true, but my question is, Do I feel like what I say to someone or lead them to believe will affect generations to come? Point in question...My grandad became a Christian back in the 50's which in turn mother was, and I am, and both my children are. I wonder how many people, generations on down the line are influenced by are actions now, such as witnessing about Christ? Will people in heaven come to us and say thanks because we told their great great great grandma or grandpa about Jesus? What are your thoughts on the subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 07:33 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Just a thought, Ive saw a few times on threads that Christians witness to just feel good about themselves or to fill seats. In some cases those are probably both true, but my question is, Do I feel like what I say to someone or lead them to believe will affect generations to come? Point in question...My grandad became a Christian back in the 50's which in turn mother was, and I am, and both my children are. I wonder how many people, generations on down the line are influenced by are actions now, such as witnessing about Christ? Will people in heaven come to us and say thanks because we told their great great great grandma or grandpa about Jesus? What are your thoughts on the subject?

I believe that all things do indeed have a ripple effect. I imagine that a person can be so hardened by life that "nothing" can change them. Nothing except God, of course. But I believe that there are people who just simple choose to seek. Someone once to me that "knock and the door shall be opened to you" required that we be active participants. I believe all actions, not just those that are good, have re-actions. I know that my husband will tell you that, "if mom (that's me) is in a mad mood, then everybody is in a bad mood".

Old 05-24-2007, 07:48 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,794,128 times
Quote:
...my question is, Do I feel like what I say to someone or lead them to believe will affect generations to come? Point in question...My grandad became a Christian back in the 50's which in turn mother was, and I am, and both my children are. I wonder how many people, generations on down the line are influenced by are actions now, such as witnessing about Christ? Will people in heaven come to us and say thanks because we told their great great great grandma or grandpa about Jesus? What are your thoughts on the subject?
I believe people in heaven will come up and say thanks. I know a couple of people I want to meet and say thanks to upon my arrival. Witnessing to people and giving your testimony is a part of it, but the other part (like Weather said) is actions. My mother always said "actions speak louder than words". If you're going to talk the talk, you'd better walk the walk. And I personally think the walk is more indicative of a person than the talk. The talk will get someone's attention, may peak their interest, but the walk will help convince them.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:03 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Arguy, what a thought inspiring question! You aren't related to Hoosier are you? Well, any how,on my side of the family, the impact on THIS generation that was handed down was great storytelling about the family. Stories, and, drawings and photos are handed down from generation to generation, so that Great, Great grandma is not just a name on the charts, but the pretty little Irish lass who came to America with her sisters and brothers and widowed father , because of the potato famine. My Dads family handed down their gift of documentation and fact finding They have traced our geneology back to the 1300 century England and have peppered the geneology book with handed down stories. As far as this generation, some of us inherited all those skills and are making sure that future generations will know who they are and where they came from..My side didn't hand down much about their beliefs, but " ole blue will make sure that plenty is handed down about her life, beliefs, good points and bad points..Maybe future generations will see me as the one who moved to Ky and became that crazy 'ole funny hillbilly who showed us how much she loved the lord and inspired us to do the same

Old 05-24-2007, 08:08 AM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Yes like weatherologist said there is a ripple effect on everything we do and say.
My mother says people take someone with them either to Heaven or to hell.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:46 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,670,560 times
The Bible talks of faith and how it affects future generations. Here are a few that I found. children follow parent's example.....GN. 26:7-11 ; how fithful parents can impace world Acts 16:1 ; younger people are watching our examples Ti 2: 3-5 ; God blessed nations through Abraham Gn 12:1-3

Old 05-24-2007, 08:57 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,578,932 times
Quote:
I believe so. I know so. After all, I was born into a family of many generations that I'm sure is entirely Christian (or atleast of the Christian faith). This is something I am so glad about because at the time of my birth, my mother was not in the church, so it took what my grandmother had already taught her to fall back in line. I am so happy that I have that foundation in my life.

Rest assured that if you raise your child right, in the Word of God, no matter how far they stray from His path, they will come back. There will always be some amount of Jesus in your family for years to come. It's about having that foundation. I hope I answered your question.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:14 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,747,499 times
Quote:
Actually i was just asking to see what others thought, I believe 100% what we do for Christ will ring out all thru eternity.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:51 AM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Actually i was just asking to see what others thought, I believe 100% what we do for Christ will ring out all thru eternity.
AMEN!!! I believe that too.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:39 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,670,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
AMEN!!! I believe that too.
Ditto here as well, and the Bible speaks of this with Abraham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality