Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 05:22 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,062,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Mental disorders arent hereditary. And certainly not exclusively so. People become bipolar and depressed under all sorts of circumstances. Heck, even certain drugs can make a person bipolar or depressed. (Not trigger - but 'make') Even if one considers something like bipolarism to be genetic, the very fact that scientific literature has documented that the condition can be completely non genetic as well, means that there is no basis for one theory to be taken as any more truthful than the other when.

But your question is also based on a false, and antiquated premise. Genetics dont tell anyone who they are attracted to. (even people who do believe that everyone is born with a predetermined sexuality will tell you that - their newest theory is that people are supposed to be born with certain concoctions of hormones, not genes, that determine their sexuality) This isnt entirely true either. Rather, a person's desires are based on experiences and repetition. The brain functions more like a muscle than an organ. The more it is exercised in one direction or the other, the more it desires to receive the hormones that it takes to repeat that exercise. This is where our desire comes from, not some abstract concoction of genes and hormones.

But whatever, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Again you are wrong... Depression and other mental problems absolutely can be inherited. When one comes from a family that has several members who have lived with depression.

I come from a family where the women have had depression. My Psychiatrist absolutely says I was at a higher risk for depression. Now are you going to say she is wrong?

We are wired for our sexual orientation that is also a known fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 05:23 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,919,415 times
Some people just make me want to vomit....and you're one of them Solytaire.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:23 PM

3,215 posts, read 5,994,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
So you're saying that at 7 years old I was CHOOSING to like girls? When I was a teenager and was being taught that liking people of the same sex was wrong and something I totally believed, I was still consciously choosing dreams where I was attracted to women? Tell me... how does one control their dreams?

How does a 7 year old control who they're attracted to?

I'd like answers.
I dont understand what dreams have to do with anything. Dreams are just more deeply relevant thoughts. Thoughts dont determine anything. I remember speaking with a Psychology professor at a large public university, and one thing that she said, did seem to make sense to me. "thoughts are just that: thoughts"... "The overanalysis and interpretation of those thoughts are where people derive the meanings behind them and develop conflict in their psyche." I tend to agree with her. I mean, think about it, when did society decide that fleeting thoughts translate to defining who a person is in their entirety? Thats not rational.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:28 PM

3,215 posts, read 5,994,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Some people just make me want to vomit....and you're one of them Solytaire.
Some people just make me want to laugh...and guess who's one of them Rafius...lol..go on guess.

No, Im just kidding. But you're taking this a bit serious arent you? Just because some random person on the internet disagrees with your outlook in life, you're ready to destroy your esophagus by vomiting? (you do know that vomiting damages your esophagus right?) Anyway, just a pleasant exchange of opinions, no need for the rancor.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:29 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,371,753 times
Quote:
I dont understand what dreams have to do with anything. Dreams are just more deeply relevant thoughts. Thoughts dont determine anything. I remember speaking with a Psychology professor at a large public university, and one thing that she said, did seem to make sense to me. "thoughts are just that: thoughts"... "The overanalysis and interpretation of those thoughts are where people derive the meanings behind them." I tend to agree with her. I mean, think about it, when did society decide that fleeting thoughts translate to defining who a person is in their entirety? Thats not rational.
So was I, at 7 years old, choosing to be attracted to females?

You have completely avoided this point 3 times now.

My dreams were acting out what I was unable to do because I thought it was "wrong".

Old 03-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Some people just make me want to laugh...and guess who's one of them Rafius...lol..go on guess.

No, Im just kidding. But you're taking this a bit serious arent you? Just because some random person on the internet disagrees with your outlook in life, you're ready to destroy your esophagus by vomiting? (you do know that vomiting damages your esophagus right?) Anyway, just a pleasant exchange of opinions, no need for the rancor.
"esophagus" sic ...enough said! Have a nice day.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:35 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,062,716 times
Quote:

Troll comes to mind.......

Old 03-18-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Troll comes to mind.......
We think on the same lines.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:44 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,033,108 times
Anti gays seem to refuse to actually take their heads out of the year 1221 so it seems rational thinking will be rather useless to try to convince them of their foolishness.

So, yes Solytaire, your arguments are pure awesomeness. I never thought of it, but they make much more sense than the scribblings of iron age sheep herders whom thought the sun revolved around the earth. How dare people believe in evidence. I agree with you Solytaire, forget science and reason, the beliefs of people from the Dark Ages make much more sense than modern science and using your brain. People are merely ignoring your incredible brilliance. Of course homosexuality is a choice. The truth is just being overlooked. Homosexuals are in reality, nymphomaniacs who just want to live in promiscuity and have sex with anything that has a pulse. Those immoral deviants have a mind disease, not like those of us whom still think the spoutings of someone puffing the magic dragon make perfect sense. All hail the drug addicts for they speak the truth. Honour them and exhalt their words of glorious wisdom. All praise the Book of the Word of the Potheads!

Last edited by agnostic soldier; 03-18-2011 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 06:13 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,536,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
The person has admittedly decided to be gay so he's accepted as gay, not bi. Likewise, the gay guy who goes straight should be seen as straight and not bi. Yet again, a double standard exists.
I'm confused. In your OP you stated that YOU were the "former gay". Now you seem to be talking about someone other than yourself.

With all due respect, my bullsh*t detector is ringing very loudly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality