Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:15 AM

63,951 posts, read 40,245,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yes that is well known, but it is only a myth.. Neuroscience For Kids - 10% of the Brain Myth ..We use all of our brains.....I any case I missed out I guess, because I have no special powers or insight that cannot be accounted for.
That is like claiming that one who has not acquired the DISCIPLINES of mathematics or language missed out on the special powers and insight that they can provide to the illiterate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 04:21 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,982,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikeman View Post
I feel we all have abilities that may be more pronounced than others. In the same way someone can have a stronger sense of smell or better hearing, there could be not so obvious senses. People are trained into not using their natural senses and IMO when an individual does show some sort of natural ability society calls it "Supernatural”.
“Do I have ….” I don’t think so but some would say I do; I get gut feelings and react to them. This “gut feeling” has been quit a gift for me but if all I am doing is sharpening my skill of observation than we can see what this “gut feeling” really is (Nothing more than being observant.)
I can dress up any extra ordinary skill and call it “Supernatural” powers but IMO they’re just honed skills.

Oh, I almost forgot;
Did God give me these skills? I don't know, could be!
Throughout my life, God on rare occasions speaks to me. Once He told me to pray about getting a job, and as soon as I did, and as soon as I said the (A) of Amen, and while I was still on my knees. The phone next to me began to ring, and when I picked up the receiver. The man on the other end of the phone asked me if I could start work for their company the next Monday moring at 8 A.M. I told him I could.
Another time when I was right in the middle of a prayer, God interrupted me and told me my wife was going to have a child. About four hours later my wife and I discovered she was pregnant. None of this knowledge came from me. It was all God's doing.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:43 PM

454 posts, read 1,409,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Throughout my life, God on rare occasions speaks to me. Once He told me to pray about getting a job, and as soon as I did, and as soon as I said the (A) of Amen, and while I was still on my knees. The phone next to me began to ring, and when I picked up the receiver. The man on the other end of the phone asked me if I could start work for their company the next Monday moring at 8 A.M. I told him I could.
Another time when I was right in the middle of a prayer, God interrupted me and told me my wife was going to have a child. About four hours later my wife and I discovered she was pregnant. None of this knowledge came from me. It was all God's doing.

I highly doubt that.
which god was it who talked to you? jesus or allah? vishnu or apolo? thor or ...? well, you get the idea.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:05 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,751,426 times
ever since i was a todler i had an uncanny ability at polishing off a bag of doritos

Old 02-21-2010, 08:48 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,209,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is like claiming that one who has not acquired the DISCIPLINES of mathematics or language missed out on the special powers and insight that they can provide to the illiterate.
Explain please....There is no discipline that enables the supernatural, as far as I know.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:52 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,964,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
I vishnu or apolo?
Apolo Ohno...the god of speed skating.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:16 AM

63,951 posts, read 40,245,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Explain please....There is no discipline that enables the supernatural, as far as I know.
::Sigh::That is because there is no supernatural . . . just not understood or currently measurable. The right brain discipline of meditation, control over our autonomic system, quieting of the mind and withdrawal from our sensory system to enable contact with other aspects of our reality that are overridden and hidden by the strength of sensory input and fleeting thoughts.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:03 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,982,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
I highly doubt that.
which god was it who talked to you? jesus or allah? vishnu or apolo? thor or ...? well, you get the idea.
It was Jesus Christ, and I know that. And that's because He spoke to me on another occasion and said, "Tom, if you continue to follow me I will take care of you. And Tom, I love you." I became a Christian when I was 11 years old. And Jesus is the only God I ever had in my life.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 AM

454 posts, read 1,409,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
It was Jesus Christ, and I Know that. And that's because He spoke to me on another occasion and said, "Tom, if you continue to follow me I will take care of you. And Tom, I love you." I became a Christian when I was 11 years old. And Jesus is the only God I have ever had in my life.

what if what you heard was Allah talking to you and trying to recruit you into his side?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:12 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,938,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

it is well-known and acknowledged that humans use only about 10%-15% of our brains; part of what we can do when we develop the rest of that capacity, includes what some call "supernatural" abilities. They are natural abilities we all have, just untapped by most people.

Um, I'm going to call you out on that.

snopes.com: Ten Percent of our Brains

Ah, I see sanspeur already did. :thumbs:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality