Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Bible, the word of God? What do you beblieve?
The Bible is the literal word of God 10 41.67%
The Bible was written by men who were inspired by their belief in God 5 20.83%
Ancient history, fables, myths and stories passed down and written by men 5 20.83%
A combination of option 2 and 3 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 06:14 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,029,629 times

Advertisements

I decided to create another thread similar to one that was posted earlier today on the same topic, because I feel that the tone and language used in the other poll does not give people, including myself, ample opportunity to register their opinion or to select an option that best describes or reflects what they believe.

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 06-01-2007 at 06:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 06:39 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,783,050 times
I believe the Bible is the literal inherent Word of God, protected my Him triugh the ages.
I do believe when some one spoke in metaphors in the Word it is directly spoken of an addressed. I do not believe everyone who reads the Word is able to understand it, but that that can gleed what they need to from it, to come to a fuller understanding. Only those indwelt, can fully understand what God has set aside for them.
MBG

Old 06-01-2007, 08:16 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,797,734 times
Default Voted for #1

But really could be better stated as the Bible is the literal Word of God as was penned by man through the Holy Spirit. The authors were inspired through the Holy Spirit and wrote what God wanted them to write. It is literal. It is without error. It is truth.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:49 PM

22,950 posts, read 28,350,952 times
Can I choose none of the above?

The Bible is the Word of God, but not every passage is literal.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Can I choose none of the above?

The Bible is the Word of God, but not every passage is literal.
I have been thinking about that, but those who typically fall into the "literalist" camp believe that all scripture is God's words and that men were simply used as vessels to articulate in writing what God wanted people to know. The debate is not so much about what was literally meant or intended versus what was literally or actually said, IMO. For example, according to Matthew 18:9, Jesus is recorded as saying "If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you..." Regardless of whether one actually thinks Jesus literally intended for people to pluck their eye out (which is more an argument about interpretation IMO), are these the literal words of Jesus is the question. And the literalist view of scripture is that they are his words. Likewise, those who take a literal view of the Bible as the "word of God," would also hold that the personal letters of apostles like Paul, are God's words too and not necessarily Paul's own words and beliefs.

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 06-02-2007 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-02-2007, 09:40 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,527,484 times
You forgot another option: The Bible was written by men, who received instruction from God.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
You forgot another option: The Bible was written by men, who received instruction from God.
How is that different from "The Bible was written by men who were inspired by their belief in God" (option 2)?

One has to believe that he is being instructed by God.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:11 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,644,263 times
There's one thing about the Bible being the literal word of God that makes no sense to me. That sounds like the human beings who actually wrote the Bible were just performing a task similar to that of a court reporter who types in the exact testimony during a trial in order to preserve a written record of the proceedings. Surely no one believes that these various authors just sat there writing God's exact words while he spoke to them in their native language but "literal" means exactly that.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:38 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,541,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
One has to believe that he is being instructed by God.
Furthermore - and this is the tricky part - one has to believe that those who believed they were instructed by God actually were instructed by God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality