Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:28 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I was wondering. I have never had a family member die before so this is my first. I am taking it fairly well though since I have seen my grandfather suffer for a long time. I am not sure if it will hit me even more when he does pass away.

First he lost his ability to remember things. Then went his legs (he forgot how to use them), then he lost his arms, control of his digestive system, and then his vocal chords, then he forgot how to eat and now he is hardly breathing on his own. All in a long painful two years....

On New Years Day, he was sent to the hospital for not eating or swallowing properly. They called yesterday and said he was back in there because he was still not eating and now he was hardly breathing. Today, my uncle (who is my grandfathers legal guardian) called and said that the doctor told us there is nothing we can do as of right now and that on Monday, he will be removing all IV's and fluids that have been keeping my grandfather stable. My uncle agreed to it and it is sad. Without the fluids and stabilization, they predict he will pass on Thursday or so.

Does anyone think this is controversial or is this ok considering how bad of a condition my grandfather is?

If you are wondering about my or my families condition, we are sad but not upset if that makes sense. We knew it was coming and we agree that this is probably the best way to go. My grandpa is my dads dad so he is more upset.

Even though I am an atheist, I know my grandfather kept God close to him. So if anyone does wish to pray for him to peacefully pass over, I would be grateful. Even though, I do not believe....It is the least I can ask for him in his last couple of days on this Earth. As for atheists, just send me some love and well wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 01:26 AM

178 posts, read 412,570 times
Sorry to hear about your Grandfather...A few years back I too had to make the decision about my dad who was suffering for a very long time...I requested that the nurses remove the IV's and Fluid also. It was tough, but I feel it was the right decision. I feel my dad would have wanted me to do that.

Sending prayers for your Grandfather and some love and well wishes to you and your family!

Last edited by mollymonk; 03-06-2010 at 01:45 AM..

Old 03-06-2010, 02:13 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,743 times
My condolences. I said a short prayer for your grandfather: That he will pass peacefully and join the kingdom of heaven at God's side. By the time I was 22, I had lost all of my grandparents. My grandmother passed away from alzheimers disease, as it runs in the family, and it was one of the saddest things I had to witness. The worst part was when she stopped recognizing me. She would talk to me, and knew that she loved me and should know who I am, but couldn't remember exactly who I was. It was hard to deal with, as our family was very close (she would take care of me and my cousin every day after school let out). Even if you don't believe, know that this is for the best. I know that, if I were to be in the same situation, I wouldn't want them to keep me on life support either.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:15 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
The only way this would be controversial is if someone here argues that a person should be kept alive for as long as possible regardless the circumstances.
Your grandfather has already gone.....do not concern yoourself with what a few others might think about the release of his body.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:30 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
My condolences, you and your family will be in my thoughts.

I don't see this as being controversial at all. These types of decisions aren't easy, and are often given long consideration before being made, but are sometimes necessary. The best case scenario when you have something like this is if you know the wishes of the person who is dying, whether it be keep me alive as long as possible, I don't want tubes breathing and feeding me, or something in between or use your own judgement. Obviously, that is not always possible, so when that isn't the case I think leaving it up to the person who is in charge is perfectly fine as long as they carefully weigh and are aware of all the options.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:49 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
I am not much older than you, but unfortunately I have had to experience too many deaths as in my mom, dad, one grandma, and one granpa. It is hard so I feel your pain.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:59 AM

805 posts, read 774,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I was wondering. I have never had a family member die before so this is my first. I am taking it fairly well though since I have seen my grandfather suffer for a long time. I am not sure if it will hit me even more when he does pass away.

First he lost his ability to remember things. Then went his legs (he forgot how to use them), then he lost his arms, control of his digestive system, and then his vocal chords, then he forgot how to eat and now he is hardly breathing on his own. All in a long painful two years....

On New Years Day, he was sent to the hospital for not eating or swallowing properly. They called yesterday and said he was back in there because he was still not eating and now he was hardly breathing. Today, my uncle (who is my grandfathers legal guardian) called and said that the doctor told us there is nothing we can do as of right now and that on Monday, he will be removing all IV's and fluids that have been keeping my grandfather stable. My uncle agreed to it and it is sad. Without the fluids and stabilization, they predict he will pass on Thursday or so.

Does anyone think this is controversial or is this ok considering how bad of a condition my grandfather is?

If you are wondering about my or my families condition, we are sad but not upset if that makes sense. We knew it was coming and we agree that this is probably the best way to go. My grandpa is my dads dad so he is more upset.

Even though I am an atheist, I know my grandfather kept God close to him. So if anyone does wish to pray for him to peacefully pass over, I would be grateful. Even though, I do not believe....It is the least I can ask for him in his last couple of days on this Earth. As for atheists, just send me some love and well wishes.
I'll keep both of you in my prayers.
To Saint Joseph patron saint of a happy death for your grandfather.
To Saint Monica who prayed for her wayward son Saint Augustine for you.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-06-2010 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: He is asking for tprayer and thoughts and good wishes that's all thank you for supporting his need

Old 03-06-2010, 04:14 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Sorry to hear that lib. I've lost a parent and three grandparents, but in all but one case it was expected as well. It'll be rough for a time but you'll get through it. (hugs)

Old 03-06-2010, 05:21 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
We had to do the same thing to Dad, though we elected to keep him hydrated to avoid discomfort or pain. He had slipped into a coma from his various cancers, but his heart and body were strong from years of manual labor. He could have lingered for months in that condition, so we opted to cut off nutrients. He died peacefully within a couple of days.

It was an easy decison, one which none of us regret.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:26 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

I am sorry for you and your family, whether you beleive in god does not mean anything to me. i will pray for your granfather and your family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality