Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 05:32 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,908,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I was wondering. I have never had a family member die before so this is my first. I am taking it fairly well though since I have seen my grandfather suffer for a long time. I am not sure if it will hit me even more when he does pass away.

First he lost his ability to remember things. Then went his legs (he forgot how to use them), then he lost his arms, control of his digestive system, and then his vocal chords, then he forgot how to eat and now he is hardly breathing on his own. All in a long painful two years....

On New Years Day, he was sent to the hospital for not eating or swallowing properly. They called yesterday and said he was back in there because he was still not eating and now he was hardly breathing. Today, my uncle (who is my grandfathers legal guardian) called and said that the doctor told us there is nothing we can do as of right now and that on Monday, he will be removing all IV's and fluids that have been keeping my grandfather stable. My uncle agreed to it and it is sad. Without the fluids and stabilization, they predict he will pass on Thursday or so.

Does anyone think this is controversial or is this ok considering how bad of a condition my grandfather is?

If you are wondering about my or my families condition, we are sad but not upset if that makes sense. We knew it was coming and we agree that this is probably the best way to go. My grandpa is my dads dad so he is more upset.

Even though I am an atheist, I know my grandfather kept God close to him. So if anyone does wish to pray for him to peacefully pass over, I would be grateful. Even though, I do not believe....It is the least I can ask for him in his last couple of days on this Earth. As for atheists, just send me some love and well wishes.

Ok first of all I'm really sorry that your grandfather is going through this and secondly that you as a family are also faced with an extremely difficult situation.

With regard your question, if your grandfather is also being provided palliative care and pain relief then I don't consider it particularly controversial, more an indication of the framework with which we must deal in these circumstances. I personally would prefer there were other options BUT that's a conversation for another time and another thread.

I'll be thinking of you and most certainly wish for peace for all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 05:34 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,682,522 times
I am so sorry. I believe your family is doing the best thing and see no controversy. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:38 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,321,356 times
Not controversial at all LV.

Every situation like this is different.

You have to go by what that individuals wishes were prior to being ill.

If they were not written or told then you have to go with what you or the decision maker believe is the right thing in your heart.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to you and your Grandfather LV.

It is not an easy situation to be in, I am sure you and your family will make the right decisions either way it goes.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:04 AM

10,034 posts, read 9,517,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I was wondering. I have never had a family member die before so this is my first. I am taking it fairly well though since I have seen my grandfather suffer for a long time. I am not sure if it will hit me even more when he does pass away.

First he lost his ability to remember things. Then went his legs (he forgot how to use them), then he lost his arms, control of his digestive system, and then his vocal chords, then he forgot how to eat and now he is hardly breathing on his own. All in a long painful two years....

On New Years Day, he was sent to the hospital for not eating or swallowing properly. They called yesterday and said he was back in there because he was still not eating and now he was hardly breathing. Today, my uncle (who is my grandfathers legal guardian) called and said that the doctor told us there is nothing we can do as of right now and that on Monday, he will be removing all IV's and fluids that have been keeping my grandfather stable. My uncle agreed to it and it is sad. Without the fluids and stabilization, they predict he will pass on Thursday or so.

Does anyone think this is controversial or is this ok considering how bad of a condition my grandfather is?

If you are wondering about my or my families condition, we are sad but not upset if that makes sense. We knew it was coming and we agree that this is probably the best way to go. My grandpa is my dads dad so he is more upset.

Even though I am an atheist, I know my grandfather kept God close to him. So if anyone does wish to pray for him to peacefully pass over, I would be grateful. Even though, I do not believe....It is the least I can ask for him in his last couple of days on this Earth. As for atheists, just send me some love and well wishes.
I review medical records all day and Sunny-Days90 is correct, every situation is different. Your family knows him best, so just ask yourselves if your Grandfather would want to continue living this way.

Prayers to your Grandfather and best wishes to you and your family.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:21 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
I suspect your grandfather discussed his wishes with your uncle at some point before he lost his faculties and that your uncle is following your grandfather's wishes or what he believes he would have wished through the way he lived his life. Nothing controversial.

I still miss my grandparents, mother, brother, and other family members but loss of life and understanding and appreciating the treasures the people in our lives have to offer as they are dying or after they have gone is part of what helps us grow as people.

Perhaps, even though you are an aethist, you can find it in your heart to pray for your grandfather in your own way. I suspect he would appreciate it.

It must be lonely to believe there is nothing awaiting him once he passes nor hope of seeing him again one day. I cannot even imagine.....

Old 03-06-2010, 07:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,344,316 times
So sorry for you and your family - my heart goes out to you all.

I had to make this same decision for my 93 year old mother - it was not easy, but I knew it was what she would have wanted.

Peace to you and your family. Ray

Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,669,155 times
You have my sympathy. I hope you and your family can hold up as well as possible.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:49 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,281,940 times
It is called comfort care, it is humane and painless.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:20 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,341,775 times
It's not controversial at all, families make these decisions every day.

It's frustrating as you get older that your elderly loved ones move on, it always leaves a small void.

But keep talking and writing about it.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:29 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,981,416 times
Based on your description of his condition, I would be praying for him to pass as quickly as possible. Lingering, painful deaths that strip away all dignity is NOT the ideal way to go.

I've been through a couple of them and it was a relief when they were finally gone.

No one likes to see a loved reduced so much as a human being.

Sounds like he lived a long life, a good life?

Pray that God takes him soon and be strong for your family.

Edit; I missed the part about removing all maintenance care. Are they going to continue to give him pain management during this process?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality