Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 07:12 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,285 times

Advertisements

Ok, this was inspired from another thread "mommy, am I going to hell?". So many posters out there are willing to tell others that due to their beliefs or lack of they will go to hell. Now, I understand that the Bible says many things in reference to this. I won't even try to quote any of them, because that is not my reason for the question. My question is, "Is there a limit to the Grace of God?". Isn't God all powerful? He is the Alpha and the Omega, right? Isn't He the one who will decide who gets through the Pearly Gates? Just looking for some opinions. I will check back tomorrow. Going to bed. I hate that all the good discussions seem to happen while I'm sleeping!!!

Take care and God Bless Us ALL!!!!

Weather...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 09:18 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times
Well, no one has answered this, so crazy as I am, I'll plunge in. Yes, I do realize everyone on this forum is not Christian, but as a Christian, I'll obviously be sharing what I believe the Bible teaches about this.

First, let me say that the New Testament does teach that salvation comes through Christ and Christ alone.

Acts 4: 12- "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved."
NASB

Jesus Himself said that no ones comes to the Father except by Him.

Therefore, I just have to believe that without explicit faith in Christ, no one is ASSURED of salvation. Now, could God "apply the blood of Christ and His atoning work on the Cross" to someone without explicit faith in Christ. I think in some cases He does just that...in the cases of Old Testament believers, children before the "age of accountability", mentally retarded people for example. Could He do this in other cases and still be consistent and true to His revealed word? I believe He possibly could in some cases because of, again, the atoning work of Christ which was for all. But this is just MY opinion and I think we need to be exceedingly careful about going beyond what the Bible expressly teaches. As I said on the "mommy" thread, on the negative side, I am not willing to expressly say someone is or is not going to hell. But, in general, the Bible does teach that only those with explicit faith in Christ have assurance of salvation. Outside of that, we can speculate about God's mercy but it is only speculation. It would also be disingenuous for me to say that I don't believe that those outside faith in Christ are not in grave danger. I believe they ARE, based on the teaching of the New Testament.

Last edited by kaykay; 06-02-2007 at 10:34 PM..

Old 06-02-2007, 09:24 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,797 times
Nehemiah 9: 28-31 OT

Ephesians 1: 3-8 NT

Colossians 1: 21-22 NT It reads:

Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds bercause of your evil behavior. (22) But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, withou blemish and free from accusation.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:28 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,817 times
1 Chronicles 16:33-35
33 Then the trees of the woods shall rejoice before the LORD,
For He is coming to judge the earth.

34 Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever.

35 And say, “Save us, O God of our salvation;
Gather us together, and deliver us from the Gentiles,
To give thanks to Your holy name,
To triumph in Your praise.”

Psalm 23:6
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Marvelous grace of our loving Lord,
grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!
Yonder on Calvary's mount outpoured,
there where the blood of the Lamb was spilt.
Refrain:
Grace, grace, God's grace,
grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
grace, grace, God's grace,
grace that is greater than all our sin!

2. Sin and despair, like the sea waves cold,
threaten the soul with infinite loss;
grace that is greater, yes, grace untold,
points to the refuge, the mighty cross.
(Refrain)

3. Dark is the stain that we cannot hide.
What can avail to wash it away?
Look! There is flowing a crimson tide,
brighter than snow you may be today.
(Refrain)

4. Marvelous, infinite, matchless grace,
freely bestowed on all who believe!
You that are longing to see his face,
will you this moment his grace receive?
(Refrain)

Great thread!!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:30 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,376,254 times
Grace is everything God is, rushing to meet our every need-all the time. Grace is God's love in action.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:58 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,564 times
My biggest problem with only looking at God through scripture is the belief that God doesn't change. Yes what was written is a great guide to go by but in no means do I think it means that God stopped at the death of Jesus just because that's when the bible stops. Through the same scripture that is used to say that only those that believe in Jesus as Christ will go to heaven is also the evidence that He has demonstrated His ability to change His mind and to be all merciful...so why wouldn't He come up with something new to save the rest of the people that aren't mentioned in the bible? I don't think He has any limit to His grace. I don't think it's up to us to say who is or isn't going to hell. I choose to believe all good people will find a way to get there and that God will reveal it them personally.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:16 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,376,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
My biggest problem with only looking at God through scripture is the belief that God doesn't change. Yes what was written is a great guide to go by but in no means do I think it means that God stopped at the death of Jesus just because that's when the bible stops. Through the same scripture that is used to say that only those that believe in Jesus as Christ will go to heaven is also the evidence that He has demonstrated His ability to change His mind and to be all merciful...so why wouldn't He come up with something new to save the rest of the people that aren't mentioned in the bible? I don't think He has any limit to His grace. I don't think it's up to us to say who is or isn't going to hell. I choose to believe all good people will find a way to get there and that God will reveal it them personally.
God doesn't change Hebrews 13:8-9 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So don't be attracted by strange new ideas". So where did you think He changed His mind? You're right we shouldn't say who is or isn't going to hell, but Jesus did say He is the ONLY way to Heaven and I believe Him.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:23 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,804 times
I believe no one has assurance of salvation, Christian or not. We are not saved by faith alone. God's grace is necessary, and with God, all things are possible.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:25 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
God doesn't change Hebrews 13:8-9 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So don't be attracted by strange new ideas". So where did you think He changed His mind? You're right we shouldn't say who is or isn't going to hell, but Jesus did say He is the ONLY way to Heaven and I believe Him.
"So the Lord changed his mind and did not bring on his people the disaster he threatened." - Exodus 32:14

And yes the bible says that Jesus Christ is the same....and my understanding of who He was is that He loved and forgave all, and that He sacrificed for all, not just Christians....so why wouldn't he find a way to save the rest of the world? That's assuming that what the bible says hasn't changed since then...again that was written a long time ago...I don't think it's bad for you to believe what is written is true, but I just don't think that means that nothing else is still possible.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:29 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,266,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
I believe no one has assurance of salvation, Christian or not. We are not saved by faith alone. God's grace is necessary, and with God, all things are possible.
This is probably one of the differences you alluded to about catholics and protestants. I believe that the Bible teaches we can have assurance about our standing in Christ. That said, I do believe we can walk away from a position of grace and that some do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality