Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:36 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

Kevorkian, 79, served eight years in prison for second-degree murder following his assistance in a suicide that was broadcast on television's 60 Minutes and his subsequent arrest. He claims to have participated in at least 130 assisted suicides during his lifetime. Kevorkian's conviction earned him a 10- to 25-year sentence, but he was released early for good behavior, according to new reports.

Retired California orthopedic surgeon Dr. John Whiffin says he equates the morality of Kevorkian's actions to bombing abortion clinics or anything else like it that involves performance of illegal actions based on convictions.

Christian doc says 'Dr. Death' violated all ethics (OneNewsNow.com) (broken link)

Old 06-03-2007, 08:49 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
Dr. Kevorkian was addressing an issue that society and lawmakers have a hard time facing up to. There are many patients who are suffering a slow painful death and there is no hope of treatment. They are not able to care for themselves or feel any sense of dignity. We just put them in a bed and let them slowly deteriorate without any regard to their pain or mental well being. If I were in this situation myself I'd want to be able to make decisions about my own life instead of being told by somone that I have no choice in the matter and that I'm obligated to suffer until my death occurs naturally. People say that Dr. Kevorkian was unethical but is it ethical to warehouse patients in hopeless medical circumstances while they suffer needlessly? I don't believe it is and even though what Dr. Kevorkian did was illegal it forced society to take another look at the issue. At least one state, Oregon, finally has allowed assisted suicide which is a little bit of progress. If I find myself in the last days of my life having to endure constant pain and I'm no longer able to even clean myself or have any sense of personal dignity the last thing I want to hear is some right wing politician telling me that every life is precious.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:48 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
I hate that they call this man Dr. Death. It isn't like he was running around with needles, laughing maniacally and shooting up innocent bystanders on the street.

God help any of us if we are ever in the position of a hideous wasting disease or a permanent coma. The law would not allow us to end our suffering. There are Living Wills but they only go so far. And obviously they don't include assisted suicide. The whole matter is just very, very sad and a dilemma that many people go through at the end of their lives. It's just...sad.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:49 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,929 times
I also do not agree with the 'christian doc'. It is my life, and I should have the right to end it when and how I choose.

Kevorkian is a courageous guy who did what he thought needed to be done. He was not out grabbing people, killing them and burying them in a crawlspace, he was assisting terminally ill people to end their lives painlessly.

It would be best if there were some sort of safeguards to prevent ill-considered suicides, but overall I think that this should be legal.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:56 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,520 times
If I am ever terminally ill, I hope that there is someone to help me end the suffering of my self and no doubt of my loved ones watching me waste away.

I think its a very sad thing that this man has been labeled the way he has, I see him as an angel of mercy.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:38 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Retired California orthopedic surgeon Dr. John Whiffin says he equates the morality of Kevorkian's actions to bombing abortion clinics or anything else like it that involves performance of illegal actions based on convictions.

Christian doc says 'Dr. Death' violated all ethics (OneNewsNow.com) (broken link)

It hardly seems right to equate assisting someone in doing what they themselves desire to do with bombing those who certainly didn't request an attack.

I suppose he did violate a law and the system was required to prosecute him but prison time? Seems like such a waste when his skills and traing could have been so much better used.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:42 PM

But thats the kind of inflammatory rhetoric, where they bait and switch the REAL topic at hand...

Old 06-03-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
But thats the kind of inflammatory rhetoric, where they bait and switch the REAL topic at hand...

? ? ? ? ? ?

EDITo you mean Dr Whiffin's opinion? I just glossed over it for what it is, one man's opinion. The story really doesn't make it sound as if the man carries a lot of influence to the matter.

Last edited by burdell; 06-03-2007 at 02:17 PM..

Old 06-03-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
? ? ? ? ? ?
I am referring to how they compared what Dr Kevorkian did to blowing people up with a bomb...Dr

Old 06-03-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I am referring to how they compared what Dr Kevorkian did to blowing people up with a bomb...Dr

Bad timing, I just added to ny post above

Like I said I disagree with the man's comparison but he's entitled to his opinion, I hope that won't be the opinion in state legislatures.

When my Dad was in a nursing home I was having a discussion with one of his nurses and mentioned I believed Kevorkian had done nothing morally wrong in his actions, she said that she believed the majority of the home's staff would agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality