Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,411,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
If you mean by "destroying cultures" that Christian missionaries prevent people from worshiping idols and sacrificing to demons, then yes Christians destroy cultures.

Christians however set people free through the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.
Nikk, have you actually studied any of these other cultures and religions to learn what they're really about, or are you just spouting back dogma that's been spoken to you? You're making a lot of inaccurate and offensive statements, and you probably don't even realize it.

For the record, I'm agnostic. I'm married to a Christian, went to church with her for a year, studied the Bible, and read commentary on it. My wife is a Christian in (to me) the best sense: she practices kindness and helps others in need. She was the first Christian I'd ever spent time with who didn't evangelize, or tell me I'd go to hell if I didn't accept Jesus as my savior. As someone who used to be very self-centered, I learned a lot about selflessness from her and from Christianity.

We also have studied Native American history and culture (it started with a college research project) and became involved with the Native community as a result. We've participated in Lakota religious ceremonies and helped cook and tend fire at a vision quest. There is nothing evil or Satanic about any of this. Indians have the same core values of love, peace, and forgiveness that Christians do, and their religion is superior (in my opinion) when it comes to respecting nature and the environment, and not taking more than you need. The group we were involved with was fine with other religions, and just viewed them as God speaking to different cultures in ways that they could understand. The spiritual leader of this group was disowned by most of her own family after they converted to Christianity and were taught that their traditional ways were Satanic. I find that sad and tragic. I've also studied Hawaiian religion and Buddhism extensively, and found them to be more accepting of other religions than Christianity is. (My wife doesn't believe that Christianity is the only path, which has caused others to tell her that she's not a "real" Christian.)

It's all well and good to say, "This is what I believe," but you owe it to yourself and to those you would attempt to influence to think about the source of your beliefs and to study other beliefs that you find demonic and "wrong." Terrible things have been done in the name of Christianity (and other religions) when people have blindly accepted its teachings and used it as a justification for other actions (e.g., taking land from the native inhabitants). Another thing that the missionaries were guilty of was never quite viewing the natives they converted as their equals. The same mindset that caused them to come in and say, "Our religion is the only right and true one, and God has commanded us to convert you" also made them believe that their entire culture was superior -- and, by extension, that their race was superior. My wife, bless her, doesn't believe that Jesus himself would have condoned what the missionaries did.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:19 AM

587 posts, read 1,424,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
I guess you'd have no problem being harassed by people from another religion who believe they know "the truth" and that you need to believe their specific way.

If you know for a fact someone already has a set of beliefs and try to change that, it is being disrespectful. Mind your own damn business would be a more appropriate response from atheist and non Christians, and justifiably so.

I guess it never does occur to some people that if one has an interest in their God/religion, they'll voluntarily go to church or do something to seek Him/It/Whatever out.

Some folks need to learn how to take a hint.
Actually, no, I wouldn't mind it at all. Why would I? Like I said, I am a far more tolerant person than I used to be and I don't see anything wrong with someone who is trying to save me. Even if I don't agree with their beliefs, what harm has it caused me for them to show they care enough about me to do so? I don't call that disrespect, I call that kindness. No one says I have to change my beliefs because of their beliefs and I certainly would never say that my few minutes are so much more important than theirs that my time was utterly wasted and my day ruined, etc.

If someone says "Happy Hanukkah" or something to me, is that being disrespectful? What if they know I'm a Christian? Should they be forced to say Merry Christmas? I don't think they should. Can I say Merry Christmas back to them if they say Happy Hanukkah? I don't see why not and why we can't both do it with a smile.

Of course, as for this outlet, we are in a religion forum, so we're all minding our own business in the appropriate place now, aren't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Not founded on righteousness? Are you kidding me? Show me the righteousness that the history of the Christian church has exhibited. The actions do not match the words and therefore it should be rejected. I will tell you that within each Nation (yes we did war against each other), the people treated each other more in the way your bible describes than most Christians have treated each other (or people outside of their sphere).
Unfortunately, no, the actions definitely do not match the words. However, that is not the fault of God, but of us as humans. We are all imperfect and screw it up. The church was/is often corrupted with the human desire for power. These things cannot be denied and really, should not be denied. That is why God sent Jesus to die on the cross, because we kept/keep screwing it up!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:27 AM

13,137 posts, read 22,893,290 times
Quote:
But in comparison to the demonic beliefs of the cultures that existed in these areas that killed profoundly, Christianity was a saving grace.
BS!!!!! Such sickening ethnocentricity is the reason why the world is such a divided, violent place.

Your way is NOT better than their way. What works for you does NOT apply as well to the guy on the other side of the world. You are NOT "saving" anyone by degrading their spiritual beliefs and declaring your way to be the only "right" way.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:29 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,256,152 times
Quote:
But in comparison to the demonic beliefs of the cultures that existed in these areas that killed profoundly, Christianity was a saving grace.
wasnt it the christians that started the crusades

wanst ti the christians who took America from the natives

wasnt it the christians who didnt have a problem with slavery

Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,451,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
wasnt it the christians that started the crusades
The crusades were due to fighting between Muslims and Christians, was it all Christian fault? No!

Quote:
wanst ti the christians who took America from the natives
No, it was the English that took America from the natives after the Native Chiefs sold it. Many of the English were Christian, but probably in name only. If they did any wrong and claimed they were Christian, then you would have to question their Christianity! I have heard say of the founding fathers that they were Deists if anything. But many were Freemasons. So, we should blame those in Freemasonry for the wrongs done to the natives.

Quote:
wasnt it the christians who didnt have a problem with slavery
No, Christians did not want slavery. It is written: "It was for freedom that Christ set us free." And further, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."

Old 03-23-2010, 10:50 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,946,473 times
Quote:
The crusades were due to fighting between Muslims and Christians, was it all Christian fault? No!
You really need to crack a history book.

The Crusades

The Crusades were started by European Christians who wanted to "liberate" the Holy Land from Muslims.

Let me translate that.

The Crusades were invasions of another country by Europeans for religious purposes.

Let me translate that again.

The Crusades were a religious war started by Christians.

I'll let others educate you on the rest.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Our traditional Comanche beliefs are hardly "demonic". But wasn't that a great excuse used to justify attempted and succeeded forced conversion...not to mention the taking of our land and changing our way of life. Indian people have a long memory and this is why many of us do not trust you even to this day (not to mention what is still going on in Indian country today).

Demonic...really? I seriously doubt you know much about our traditional beliefs or those of any other American Indian nation. Because it is different that the bible, many Christians automatically label it as "demonic" or "idol worship". Folks who do that have no clue as to what they are talking about.
Any worship to any other God other then the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jaccob is worship to Satan.

Quote:
Not founded on righteousness? Are you kidding me? Show me the righteousness that the history of the Christian church has exhibited. The actions do not match the words and therefore it should be rejected. Sorry, I go by what I observe and not good words. So far, I have come to the understanding that most Christians take their words as seriously as a politician does his. The good words are only in effect when people are watching or when it is to their advantage to use them. I will tell you that within each Nation (yes nations did war against each other which is why I said within), the people treated each other more in the way your bible describes than most Christians have treated each other (or people outside of their sphere).

Your religion and culture have been nothing but poison to Indian people.
Do not look to the actions of people, because people are not good. Look to God who is righteous. The Christian is the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. However, if a Christians acts immorally, then they are acting against what they believe. Those of the world (not of God) who act immorally are acting in accordance with what they believe. That is why we do not look to man, but to God alone.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:55 AM

512 posts, read 1,440,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
Everyone who has beliefs, one way or another, always seems to be so very confident that what they believe is true. But that begs the question, (since we're all flawed humans who make mistakes daily):

What if you're wrong?

For me, as Christ Follower, if I'm wrong, I simply take a dirt nap when I die and that's that. In the days when I was a card carrying agnostic, I would have missed out on far more...

So, what happens if you're wrong?

umm....so what if you're wrong and Allah is the true God? what then? that "dirt nap" won't be so simple....now would it?

this is the problem with all deities and the "what if you're wrong" question!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:57 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,915,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
Actually, no, I wouldn't mind it at all. Why would I? Like I said, I am a far more tolerant person than I used to be and I don't see anything wrong with someone who is trying to save me. Even if I don't agree with their beliefs, what harm has it caused me for them to show they care enough about me to do so? I don't call that disrespect, I call that kindness. No one says I have to change my beliefs because of their beliefs and I certainly would never say that my few minutes are so much more important than theirs that my time was utterly wasted and my day ruined, etc.
But what if those with other beliefs were trying to pass laws that were in direct contrast to yours? Say hypothetically, these others were trying to pass legislation that would prohibit you from going to church on Sunday. Say Muslims started to lobby for everyone going to church on their holy day, Friday. How would you feel about that? I'll wager you wouldn't be happy to just sit quiet and be tolerant then would you? You see, that's just the sort of thing that atheists are fighting against. We see the constant interference of religion in state matters as an infringement on our freedom and way of life. Just like you are tolerant of others beliefs as long as they don't affect you, we are tolerant of yours....as long as they don't affect us. When they do, we start kicking.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
You really need to crack a history book.

The Crusades

The Crusades were started by European Christians who wanted to "liberate" the Holy Land from Muslims.

Let me translate that.

The Crusades were invasions of another country by Europeans for religious purposes.

Let me translate that again.

The Crusades were a religious war started by Christians.

I'll let others educate you on the rest.
The history books are constantly being rewritten based on new evidence. And the evidence points to Muslim involvement. Was it not the Muslims who conquered Palistine in the seventh century? This is the begining of the crusades to free the holy land. If there was no Muslim conquering, then there would be no need for the Pope to attempt to free the holy land. However, the pope was in error by giving indulgences to the crusaders. This is evil and was fought against by Martin Luther later in the 1500's, hence the Reformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality