Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:30 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times

Advertisements

This point of the OP strikes me as being very misinformed. One of the reasons that this idea is perpetuated (and this is just my own opinion) is that Christians in particular see it as competition to their religion and tend to associate it with belief systems in Asia which of course have no Christian traditions. Therefore they attempt to vilify it and even claim that it can open up a door for demons and other unpleasant spiritual low life to take over your mind. Of course this is laughable but I've actually heard Christians make that statement. I've never really gotten into meditation but there are a great many who have and believe it has given them certain insights into their own consciousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:08 PM

260 posts, read 549,036 times
a major part of western religion is based on the misconception that humans are fundamentally flawed and need an external source in order to be complete. of course christian leaders want to vilify and demonize meditation and stop people from finding their true self. by practicing meditation, a person can eventually realize that everything they need is already inside of them and that they don't need a book or an authority figure to tell them what to think and how to live.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:05 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
This point of the OP strikes me as being very misinformed. One of the reasons that this idea is perpetuated (and this is just my own opinion) is that Christians in particular see it as competition to their religion and tend to associate it with belief systems in Asia which of course have no Christian traditions. Therefore they attempt to vilify it and even claim that it can open up a door for demons and other unpleasant spiritual low life to take over your mind. Of course this is laughable but I've actually heard Christians make that statement. I've never really gotten into meditation but there are a great many who have and believe it has given them certain insights into their own consciousness.
Deep meditation and devout prayer seem to access the same brain states and are the essence of communing with the Divine (for Christian Mystics) or the Absolute for others. Superstitious nutjobs have always plagued religions . . . may they NEVER get societal control again and where they do have it (Islam) may it be stripped of all power over others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
a major part of western religion is based on the misconception that humans are fundamentally flawed and need an external source in order to be complete. of course christian leaders want to vilify and demonize meditation and stop people from finding their true self. by practicing meditation, a person can eventually realize that everything they need is already inside of them and that they don't need a book or an authority figure to tell them what to think and how to live.
This is the failure of mainstream religion. God is within us ALL (my certainty and hubris about it is legendary). A lack of faith in the presence of our living and loving God is what deprives so many of the comfort and joy of this certainty.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:31 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,787 times
Mystical and spiritual aspects aside, meditation has been shown to have health benefits. It's been a while since I've practiced, but if I recall correctly, meditation gets your brain into a delta-wave state. It relaxes you, lowers your blood pressure, and gives you the equivalent of more time spent sleeping.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:17 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
It is very hard to meditate, IMO. Just to sit in silence and remove all thoughts......
Perhaps there are systems of meditation that attempt this.

But to be conscious is alway to be conscious of something. If there is nothing in your consciousness, you are unconscious.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:39 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,381,547 times
The purpose of meditation as I've learned it is to focus on your breathing. When thoughts enter you just dismiss them, let them float away. Calmness and improved ability to concentrate are the results. Thoughts which consistently pop up during mediation are issues that need to your attention - but not during meditation.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:40 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,250,478 times
mantra meditation is not about stoping the mind but rather about controlling the mind -the mind is the best freind or worst enemy -theirs nothin wrong in meditation and it has been proven to releive stress and heel the body even

i bet most of them hippies were goin through some withdraw from whatever drugs they were takin

another thing is is that Jesus used to meditate he used to go off bye himself all the time and sit there and meditate on His Father.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
It is very hard to meditate, IMO. Just to sit in silence and remove all thoughts.

I haven't been able to master it, even tried with a small group of Catholic friends that met each morning, setting a timer for 40 minutes. It's something I have discussed recently with my teens. Unfortunately, they first must master getting up in time for school, then will push the time back 15 minutes to do the meditating.
There are many different techniques. The best one for me is to silently HEAR the mantra, instead of just thinking it or even saying it aloud. By hearing a silent mantra, your mind is occupied and you are concentrating and it is much easier for me to block out other unwanted thoughts.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-22-2010, 03:59 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,381,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There are many different techniques. The best one for me is to silently HEAR the mantra, instead of just thinking it or even saying it aloud. By hearing a silent mantra, your mind is occupied and you are concentrating and it is much easier for me to block out other unwanted thoughts.

20yrsinBranson
I count each inhalation up to 10. When there is a thought I start over from 1.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,174,360 times
Meditation+LSD=Life changing experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality