Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 10:15 AM

680 posts, read 1,383,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonuMan View Post
Mystical and spiritual aspects aside, meditation has been shown to have health benefits. It's been a while since I've practiced, but if I recall correctly, meditation gets your brain into a delta-wave state. It relaxes you, lowers your blood pressure, and gives you the equivalent of more time spent sleeping.
Meditation has been essential to my own happiness, "spiritual" growth, awareness and compassion toward others.

The OP is strange and seems to be driven by some sort of superstition and a need to control how others live. May Mattie Jo find serenity and liberation from fear and judgment.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
This has been in the news lately. It's an easy meditation to do if you can spare 10 minutes a day..

Can Meditation Reverse Memory Loss? - CBS News
Probably not a good suggestion for a forum dominated by Christians and Fundies who can be paranoid about meditation as it is.

"It involves the repetition of four sounds -- SA,TA,NA,MA." (SATAN AMA = SATAN LOVES???)

Old 03-30-2010, 10:27 AM

229 posts, read 778,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Probably not a good suggestion for a forum dominated by Christians and Fundies who can be paranoid about meditation as it is.

"It involves the repetition of four sounds -- SA,TA,NA,MA." (SATAN AMA = SATAN LOVES???)

funny!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
Quote:

Yea, well lots of christians think pagans are satan worshippers and pagans don't even believe in satan!

Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,506 times
Quote:

Not quite.

Actually the mantra (chant) represents the circle of life.

Sa means birth

Ta means life

Na means death

Ma means rebirth

Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
Quote:
Drugs remove the thing that you absolutely need during transitions into altered states . . . your sober conscious control. Our subconscious harbors ALL of our psychic troubles and dysfunctions. Removing our sober control frees them on our unprotected mind . . . like in nightmares. There is no one best way to meditate . . . but it is imperative that you NOT relinquish control. ALL the other superstitious claptrap is just that . . . superstitious claptrap and ignorance. I have been meditating for over 50 years total with never an incident of any kind. Mentally unstable people will be unstable people irrespective of what they are doing.

The goal of my "meditations" appear to differ from yours. For my purposes, control means not fighting or suppressing the subconscious, rather the opposite, and the result is greater awareness and knowledge of one's true nature.

Also, medicinal.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
The goal of my "meditations" appear to differ from yours. For my purposes, control means not fighting or suppressing the subconscious, rather the opposite, and the result is greater awareness and knowledge of one's true nature.

Also, medicinal.
My goal changed after 18+years of trying to reach Nirvana as a Buddhist atheist. I used all manner of different approaches . . . discarding those that clearly did not work or were nonsense mumbo jumbo to me. It took biofeedback to train my inner sense about the status of my autonomic system and how to affect it. I attained what I call "observer status" as I passed through the altered states and found I could alter the experiences from my own subconscious . . . but not ALL of my experiences. I encounter what I call "transients" . . . which I believe are outside of my subconscious and not under the control of my conscious self. They seem to correlate with those times when I have aroused others to strong emotional states (negative) directed at me. The often primitive character of the images were confusing . . . because my consciousness always seemed to "know" who they were attached to and emanating from (or in support of). This evinced a belief in the permanence of ancestral human spirits that seem to be related (attached???) to currently living people. I took those as a sign of the reason we needed to remove all such strong desire (especially negative) from our souls (Nirvana).

I was so successful at achieving deeper states that I felt it wouldn't be long before I succeeded (Nirvana). But I was wrong. When I achieved what I now call the "end state"(unchanging and unalterable by me) . . . I was completely blown away. The immense joy, love and acceptance I encountered was so emotionally powerful, positive and unmistakably conscious (not mine) . . . it transformed my life and put me on the path to try to explain and understand what it could possibly be. UP to that experience . . . I was an atheist and a science nut. It was clear to me that such a powerful positive reality could not remain inexplicable . . . no matter how little we might actually know about our reality. I have succeeded to MY satisfaction and my only goal in meditation is to reach that state every day. It is incomparable, it is inexplicably "oneness" in "multiplicity" (crowd . . . like oneness of mind during the "Wave" at a sports event) without any loss of my identity, and could only be described as a state of pure love. My explanation is so inadequate. I cannot seem to express in words or concepts what it is like. But I no longer see Nirvana as correct . . . only as the cessation of all NEGATIVE desire and emotions to free our spirits from that transient status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality