Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:08 PM

33,622 posts, read 37,267,324 times

Advertisements

"We have had at least 6000 years of human existence."....More like 150,000 years my friend...We left lots of tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 06:12 PM

701 posts, read 802,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Proof is not in numbers. If 800 trillion people believed is of no consequence.
The real reason is that god's existence cannot be proven for lack of evidence.
Define what you would classify as evidence.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
"We have had at least 6000 years of human existence."....More like 150,000 years my friend...We left lots of tracks.
Notice I said at least.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:15 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,511,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Some of the most brilliant minds on earth believe in God. Ben Carson is a world renowned surgeon who believes in God. Einstein believed in God. Isaac Newton was a Christian.
Appeal to Authority.

Quote:
God then turns around and points to the countless billions of people who believed, and said I gave you the same evidence and "proof" that everyone of them had, I even gave you more because you were blessed with more hindsight and raw intellect than many of them yet you still chose not to believe. Now tell Me the real reason why you didn't believe.
Ad Populum.

Quote:
I believe the Bible is God's Truth. I believe in it's divine inspiration, and it's prophetic accuracy as evidence that it is Truth. Christ is the most unique individual in all human history. This carpenter from Nazareth was only in the public spotlight for 3.5 years yet he impacted humanity in such a profound way that 2000 years after his death we are still discussing it with fervor.
Correction. Paul influence people in such a profound way we still talk about it with fervor. If he didn't invent your religion, you wouldn't really be anywhere.

Quote:
Those that claimed to be witnesses, to his resurrection, where so convinced that the most of them died heinous deaths simply for refusing to deny that which they experienced.
"Die for a Lie" argument.

Quote:
These weren't men that sought some agenda beyond telling people of what they experienced.
Just as L. Ron was interested in spreading truth as well.

Quote:
What was it about this Man that impacted these lives so dramatically. what is it about this Man, that 2000 years later, He is still changing lives in the most dramatic of ways. He said He was the Messiah. Countless others throughout history have made this claim, and been summarily dismissed, but what makes this Man different?
He was dismissed. Everything you know of Jesus life comes only from books written 40 years after his death. when people lived, on average, to 30 years of age.

I'm just being entirely antagonistic because all this preaching nonsense comes from the same three arguments for Christianity I've heard for the past five years.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:59 AM

12 posts, read 13,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thotful1 View Post
On returning from my church this morning, where the pastor had discussed the wages of sin, and of the consequences of being a non-believer, I wondered if God, who made us all equal and loved in His eyes, could accept those who are skeptics of his more unlikely feats.

If the various biblical tales are dumbed down to the lowest common denominator so as to get across the message to a largely uneducated peasant congregation, what about the increasing numbers of well-educated people in this world?

Does God allow for that in his messages? And if so, will He cut us slack when we get to Heaven? Because if He does, then the peristent atheists whose arguments seem based on logic are in no real danger, are they? "What if you're wrong?" will have no meaning as a threat. Just die, show up and explain yourself, honestly.
Goodmorning:

The answer to that question is" All will have the oppertunity" to become a son of God. But it will be at a time appointed to them. Some have been called in the past, some are being called now and the rest will have their opperitunity in the future, no matter who it may be.

Revelation Ch 20 explains this where it states that "the rest of the dead" will be resurrected after the 1000 year feign of Christ. That will be those who do not now understand.
freeman4:

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-31-2010 at 11:54 AM..

Old 03-30-2010, 06:11 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,730,991 times
Quote:
Define what you would classify as evidence.
The same stuff that counts as evidence towards things everyone believes in. There's lots of things that atheists do believe exist - the question is why can't an omnipresent omnipotent god who wants to be known produce the same evidence as, say, a frog for his existence.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:01 AM

40,048 posts, read 34,693,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thotful1 View Post
On returning from my church this morning, where the pastor had discussed the wages of sin, and of the consequences of being a non-believer, I wondered if God, who made us all equal and loved in His eyes, could accept those who are skeptics of his more unlikely feats.
Oh, I really love that term, "non-believer." As though anyone who doesn't subscribe to that particular belief system is condemned, guilty for all eternity, no trial necessary, next case.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:27 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,255,000 times
Quote:
Christ is the most unique individual in all human history.
sorry i have to quote you on this one
Krishna's,Bhudda's,Chatanya's and all the other divinitys in the past have been equally unique- some almost identical

but back to the OP-God understands everyones hearts and if the skeptics are living a good honest life then they will be judged on that and not on some beleife-in the end we all go back home anyway -how long it takes is up to the individual

God gave us the right to question i dont think He wants anyone going on blind faith alone and from reading these threads most atheist were at some stage or other christian-but the bible has so many missing links and holes and contradictions that its credibility has to be questioned -but just because the bible has'nt got the awnsers dosent mean the awnsers dont exist

Last edited by dobeable; 03-30-2010 at 06:36 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
The same stuff that counts as evidence towards things everyone believes in. There's lots of things that atheists do believe exist - the question is why can't an omnipresent omnipotent god who wants to be known produce the same evidence as, say, a frog for his existence.
A frog "proves" his existence by simply hopping in front of you. God, on the other hand, loves you too much to show himself to you. We would have a better chance and surviving if he showed us the center of the sun, up close and personal. We are still to sinful to withstand the glory of His presence.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:54 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,943,763 times
Quote:
A frog "proves" his existence by simply hopping in front of you. God, on the other hand, loves you too much to show himself to you. We would have a better chance and surviving if he showed us the center of the sun, up close and personal. We are still to sinful to withstand the glory of His presence.

Kinda like the Dad who never sees his kids because he knows he'll beat them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality