Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The bible is not clear on how tall the tower of Babel was. If we look at other ancient structures that were influenced by the tower of Babel, like the pyramids and Zigurates from around the world. Some people groups were able to build quite large structures using only "primitive" tools. The Great pyramid in Egypt covers an area of 13 acres. That is quite large and can even be seen from space. In comparison, the tower of Babel was being built by all nations combined, harnessing all of the engineering skills and knowlege of all people on the earth.

It must have been some undertaking since God saw that men working together in such unity would not be limited to do anything that they put their minds to and decided to separate them through the confounding of the languages.

The reason God did this was because he told man to go into all the earth. But man, first through Cain chose to build cities to prevent the inhabitants from going into all the earth. Then again the tower of Babel was built to keep people together, so they could build a name for themselves, and so they would not be scattered in the earth. So, this confusion by creating different languages was the result of the disobedience and sin by man.
In other words, humans working well together and accomplishing things was a sin? God wanted humans to scatter with differing languages and cultures, with racism and wars resulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 10:50 PM

454 posts, read 498,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
It can't have been all that tall, considering the technological level of the builders. So why doesn't god strike down all the builders of modern skyscrapers and make them "babble" too?
Question 1: 210 metres.

Question 2: He does.

Next question please?

LOL!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:24 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The bible is not clear on how tall the tower of Babel was.
I wonder why he had to 'come down to take a look at it'. I mean, couldn't he see it from where he was...being omnimax and all that!

Same as asking Cain..."Where is your brother Abel?" Bit of a pointless question when you are supposed to be omniscient!!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:09 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I wonder why he had to 'come down to take a look at it'. I mean, couldn't he see it from where he was...being omnimax and all that!
YHWH exists in three Persons. The Person of God the Word dwells in His created temple in His created heaven, and from there "bow" -"comes down"- at specific times to specific places for specific reasons.
He is the Creator and the Judge, and He said to the 70 angels who stand before Him in heaven 'Let us go down/bow...". He is the One Person in YHWH who is now come in flesh of the second creation, and His name -as second Man- is Israel [invoked over Jacob as a sign of the adoption to come] -BTW, We call Him who is come in second creation human being flesh "Jesus/Salvation", and we who are born of His One Living Spirit/Christ [the adoption into His Spirit], are called "Christians", now, but when we are born of His New Man creation flesh [the adoption of the body], we will all be called "Israel", and no longer "Adam" which is His name which He called the first man, which man He made "male and female" -Genesis 5:2.
He saw the tower for the forty years it was being built, but His coming down was giving His specific attention to it for His specific purposes at His specific time. He soundly defeated the plan of fallen rebellious man to ascend into earth's heavenly realm, where the Watchers dwell and where Adam got cast down from, to the earth, from which his body was formed. He confounded the mother tongue into seventy at that time, and set the technology of the Adam race back to a dark age from which the Adam race has not yet fully recovered, so that the Adam race would not do whatever he could imagine, as YHWH the Word said, when He confounded the tongue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Same as asking Cain..."Where is your brother Abel?" Bit of a pointless question when you are supposed to be omniscient!!
If you were a true inquirer, then you would simply read to see the answer and learn that God gave Cain the opportunity to confess and repent, just like He had given his father Adam the opportunity to confess and repent. Both did not, but hid their sin, and suffered the punishments which could have been covered and forgiven, right then.
Abel's "voice of his blood/soul" was calling out to YHWH for avenging of his blood, from Sheol", as the Hebrew of the passage shows.

Psa 32:5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.
Job 31:33 If I covered my transgressions as Adam, by hiding mine iniquity in my bosom:

Old 08-10-2010, 09:24 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
It can't have been all that tall, considering the technological level of the builders. So why doesn't god strike down all the builders of modern skyscrapers and make them "babble" too?

That's easy to answer. If you are scientific for the building's existence than It needed to accommodate one and only one language (even just a computer language should do), the building was technologically ready to be just further worked at. But the religiously we found that we couldn't work with just one language. That way the building came down by someone, in a conflict by Religion, for not understanding the common language.

We adjust to many small buildings with many languages. The man was malicious but quickly forgotten and we all began to love God again, saying He did it.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:43 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
I hesitate to type these words, lest someone lurking around here attempt to ridicule me. But, what the hell...

Suppose just for a moment that there never was an actual Tower of Babel. It was just a story designed to explain the variety of languages.

There...my temporary lapse of judgement is over, and we can carry on with the regularly scheduled insanity.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:49 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I hesitate to type these words, lest someone lurking around here attempt to ridicule me. But, what the hell...

Suppose just for a moment that there never was an actual Tower of Babel. It was just a story designed to explain the variety of languages.

There...my temporary lapse of judgement is over, and we can carry on with the regularly scheduled insanity.
You mean like a parable? Surely the bible would never use those.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:56 AM

454 posts, read 498,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

LOL! Aren't internet forums fun!?!

Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
That's easy to answer. If you are scientific for the building's existence than It needed to accommodate one and only one language (even just a computer language should do), the building was technologically ready to be just further worked at. But the religiously we found that we couldn't work with just one language. That way the building came down by someone, in a conflict by Religion, for not understanding the common language.

We adjust to many small buildings with many languages. The man was malicious but quickly forgotten and we all began to love God again, saying He did it.
Hey, I get it! The Tower of Babel is a analogy for one belief system, or religion, of a god. After the language, and therefore cultures, were diverged, many religions and belief systems resulted.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:40 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times
The bible says they tried to build it up to the heavens so they were trying to reach god and god don't like that and this is why he was angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality