Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 11:10 PM

63,907 posts, read 40,187,366 times

Advertisements

There is no reason to be. Ironically, I am not too sure that fearing the afterlife doesn't create the very state of mind that could produce something to fear . . . much like the way our waking fears and worries cause nightmares when we dream. Something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 03:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,778,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Hey, give me a break. I was at a different place in my place. I am constantly learning new things and at that time I thought I knew. I now know differently. But I will say I honestly don't know enough to have an opinion on that particular subject. So I apologize.
No problem. I am always learning myself. My pleasure at a misapprehension being corrected is far greater than any slight irritation at the misapprehension itself.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:27 AM

11,288 posts, read 11,057,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
I don't worry about it.
It's possible there isn't one, in which case I haven't lost anything
It's possible I'll go to heaven, in which case I'm set
It's possible I'll go to hell, in which case I did my best as did many around me and if heaven's not letting that kind of person in, I don't want to be there anyway.
Well, it doesn't get much more straightforward than this little gem! I have to agree 100%

Old 09-24-2012, 04:20 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,778,812 times
I suggest that it gets even more straightforward.

On the basis of the evidence. there probably isn't an afterlife, so best to just make the most of this one.

If there is an afterlife, it makes no sense that the Box Office of one particular religion is selling tickets and no-one can be sure which ticket will get you in anyway.

So, even if Heaven and hell were not the delusions of the unbalanced, one could not take them as a credible belief or anything to worry about.

It makes more sense that nobody is going to be barred any more than anyone is going to be barred from being born, especially if the dress - code for admission is not what you do but what you believe.

So the straightforward bit. There's probably no afterlife and even if there is, it's nothing to worry about. So the best bet is to live this life as though it's the only one you got. That precludes making it look like something the cat dragged in the expectation that there is a much better one coming. I wouldn't wager on it. In fact, I don't.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-24-2012 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: One 'in' goes out.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,220,549 times
Since we are ENERGY which is scientifically proven and ENERGY cannot be destroyed...we, logically, have to go on in some form or another. Since NONE of us truly KNOWS what happens after death or what form we will take...why worry or fear it...it is something that NONE of us will escape no matter how hard we try.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,516,370 times
As I've said in other threads, death itself doesn't scare me. What does scare me is dying too young or painfully. Dying too young because, hey, there is a lot to do in an average lifetime, and I'd like to experience as much of it as i can. And dying painfully because it would be unpleasant to have my last experiences be painful. Of course, after I die, I won't know any of that, so that is the lesser of my two fears.

But yea, dying too young? That's my fear.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:20 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,382,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Since we are ENERGY which is scientifically proven and ENERGY cannot be destroyed...we, logically, have to go on in some form or another.
We do. Bacteria and other flora and fauna feed on our bodies releasing the energy still contained in them and using it for their own ends such as locomotion, keeping warm, reproduction and more.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:41 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,618,823 times
Question: What is the Tribulation?
Recent world events, especially in the Middle East have many Christians studying the Bible for an understanding of end times events. This look at "What is the Tribulation?" is just the beginning of our study of the Bible and what it says about the end of this age.

Answer: The Tribulation, as taught by most Bible scholars, encompasses a future seven year period when God will complete his discipline of Israel and final judgment upon the unbelieving citizens of the world. Those who accept a Pre-Tribulation Rapture theory believe that Christians who have trusted Christ as Lord and Savior will escape the Tribulation.
The Tribulation - What is the Tribulation?

So, non believers in Christianity will be tortured beyond belief, you'll watch this and then happily accept your spot for eternity remembering good people who lacked only a Christian belief going through horrific events just because they were true to their own beliefs? For eternity? Sounds like hell to me, why on earth would I want to live with that much guilt forever?
The only thing I fear are those of you that think this would be worth it for your spot.

Last edited by PoppySead; 09-25-2012 at 07:58 AM..

Old 09-25-2012, 08:22 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,346,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsai View Post
there is a theory that our consciousness is located in another dimension and communicates with our bodies using a tuning mechanism. Similar to how internet, radio, and television is all around us in the air, but we never see it or hear it without the proper equipment.
What happens when there is severe brain damage?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:27 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,618,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
What happens when there is severe brain damage?
You get that fuzz like you use to after 12 on the t.v.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality