Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:11 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,737,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Which civilizations survived the flood? I mean I am sure that civilizations have been found that have been "dated" to before the alleged date of the flood, but once again that relies on the accuracy of the dating right? Not trying to be flipant or snarky.
In the case of Chinese civilization, we're relying on written records to date them. Those records are consistent with various other dating methods (no surprise) but it's not like the only evidence that the earth is more than 6000 years old is radioactive dating or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 11:26 AM

9,496 posts, read 12,962,161 times
Exactly, KC. For instance, the Egyptians were smack dab in the middle of building their pyramids right when the Noah's Flood occurred. You'd think they would have noticed the "slight" impact of working under nearly 16,000 feet of water, wouldn't you?

Hey: maybe they floated those pyramid rocks into place, starting at the top and working down? That's just as rational as a Great Flood after all....

As well, the Chinese, whose scholarly writings pre-and post-date the fabled flood make absolutely no mention of it, or even of a bad rain year. Meantime, in the ME (Middle East), there are some contemporaneous accounts of various localized floods, well documented in several historical writings of the time, which appear to have been conveniently hijacked, summarized and transformed into a nice spiritual-guidance fable. Unfortunately, devout moderns have less common sense than the ancient authors assumed.

The cold hard facts surrounding the implications of a truly global flood that tops Mt. Everest, for instance, come together to completely dismiss it on so many grounds that it's truly fascinating there are those who, in the light of modern rational thought and simple biological, geological and climatological facts, still cling to this fantasy. Why, one initially wonders?

Well, because if they have to let go of this one, and a few others as well, their entire fantasy ship sinks, like the Titanic. Unsalvageable, even though it was once considered unsinkable!!

How on earth can anyone look into the Grand Canyon and categorically state that it all happened in a mere 180 days from start to finish? They must be delusional. After all, if that rock is so soft and so easily eroded, why then has it lasted more or less unchanged for the subsequent 4000 years ?

Far more rationally, we can measure the rate of erosion down in the river bottom now, and we can then determine how long it's taken for those visible layers to have been exposed to the Colorado river. It sure as heck ain't no mere 4000 years. Millions yes. Even if we're overly conservative, and estimate the rate of erosion at only half of what it really was. Still turns out to be millions of years.

Oh heck, huh?

Old 04-20-2010, 05:56 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,514,324 times
Ah, the Talk.Origins archives--a one stop shop for refutation of creationism.

The entire Geological column doesn't exist.
CD101: Entire Geological Column Existence

Out of Order column.
CD102: Geological column order

Old 04-21-2010, 12:33 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,922,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikk View Post
don't look at that site it is an atheistic site, ....
Don't look Ethel!!!!

Old 04-21-2010, 02:23 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,179,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Ah, the Talk.Origins archives--a one stop shop for refutation of creationism.

The entire Geological column doesn't exist.
CD101: Entire Geological Column Existence

Out of Order column.
CD102: Geological column order
Gota love that site.. creationist have a nasty habit of repeating, and rehashing debunked claims and it can get quite annoying.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:27 PM

19 posts, read 36,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Honest question here. I understand that within the geologic column the many different layers are suppose to account for lengthy periods of time on the scale of millions of years, right? What I am curious to know is, if each layer is representative of such lengthy periods of time, why are the layers relatively flat? I mean there doesn't appear to be any signs of erosion or degradation between each layer. Also wondering how do we account for the findings of petrified trees, extending upright through several different layers?
To answer all your questions:
Geology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at the relative dating section. Hutton's original principals are Geology 101.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:38 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,872,719 times
All right Mrgneissguy, you are full of schist.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
All right Mrgneissguy, you are full of schist.
You two rock.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:57 PM

19 posts, read 36,915 times
Aw I love you guys, nice to see some people who don't take these puns for granite!

Also, looking back this thread has become quite derailed. "The flood" is not an answer to ANY geological question EVER. Seriously, just answer the guys question sans BS please. I'm offended as a Catholic, Geologist and rational person, so pretty much totally. Even the most devout Creationists or "Intelligent" Designers won't challenge the scientific community with nonsense, and surely Oil companies don't want to know how long ago the flood deposited that oil there... I can go on. Talking about the flood crosses into the belief realm, leaving the logic and science planet all together.

It's far too convenient to blame all this stuff on some mysterious power (God), it completely defies the scientific process all together if every single answer to a question on a test is going to be "God put it there". Why don't I just become a theologian, what good are my years of trying to understand Earth. Earth itself is a power much greater than any of us can comprehend, but that surely doesn't make it God. Theologians and philosophers try to understand life's meaning, including God, science has ABSOLUTELY no place in that discussion, I am not trying to understand if Satan put fossils on Earth to tempt us... I am trying to come to a reasonable conclusion which ties in theories of evolution, superposition etcetera. not pulling my Bible out of my backpack to see if theres a blurb in Genesis about Archaeopteris.

Question - Answered (and then some)

Last edited by Mrgneissguy; 04-28-2010 at 06:15 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgneissguy View Post
Aw I love you guys, nice to see some people who don't take these puns for granite!
Of quartz, puns are my favorite joke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality