Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:15 PM

954 posts, read 816,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
ozzie, "kkellllliee wheres my glassses...." I understand Marks
Don't you mean "kkelllllie! Where's me f******g glasses?"..........don't worry about it. We Brits can't understand him either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 11:22 PM

743 posts, read 2,238,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
As long as it is bringing glory to God, the style is unimportant. To claim that one form of worship music is better or worse is silly, nothing in the Word says anything about that. It should all be directed at God though, and not to anybody else!
MBG
MGB.....something we can agree on I can appreciate various types of liturgical music. I can actually attend a Latin Mass with Gregorian Chant (breathtaking and conemplative), as well as a contemporary youth choir who sings John Michael Talbot songs with drums. I can equally enjoy a Mass w/ "folk music"....accoustic guitar....anyone remember "kum-ba-ya?" .

Last Sunday, the Feast of the Holy Trinity, our parish had some members of an African choir come and sing at all the Masses (we have hosted a visiting priest from Kenya for the past year) which was a great cultural exprience for our kids, as well as us.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
. I feel connected at the Catholic Church. I feel at home.
Welcome Home, Weather

Old 06-10-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:

I love the tradition. I love knowing that no matter where I am in the world, that I can walk into a Catholic Church and worship just the same as I would if I were sitting in my own parish. I like knowing that tomorrow, even though I am not at church with my family, they will hear the same readings, the same Gospel that I will. I feel connected at the Catholic Church. I feel at home.
Weather.... don't know if you know this.......but, catholic actually means "universal". That's why you get the same thing at any catholic church around the world....maybe different music, differnt sermons....but, the same order of the Mass....Liturgy of the Word (same Bible readings) and Litrugy of the Eucharist (same Jesus in the Eucharist) around the entire world. Pretty cool, huh?

Old 06-11-2007, 09:13 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,799,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
here is my type of worship music and atmoshpere..
YouTube - Darlene Zschech - Here I Am to Worship
arguy,
thanks, I am so un-techno. I don't know if I've ever been to U-tube. I've heard of it. Just never cared to go. I did a search for "My Jesus - Todd Agnew". WOW!!! Thanks, I may have a new addiction.
weather...

Old 06-11-2007, 09:15 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,764,464 times
Quote:
arguy,
thanks, I am so un-techno. I don't know if I've ever been to U-tube. I've heard of it. Just never cared to go. I did a search for "My Jesus - Todd Agnew". WOW!!! Thanks, I may have a new addiction.
weather...
hey weather, that song/ video is also under the youtube post thread on here, the song by todd agnew. I put it on there yesterday, and your welcome

Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,799,235 times
Quote:
arguy,
weather...
just looked over JerZ's youtube thread. Guess you already suggested this. Great minds.... thanks, again.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:02 PM

485 posts, read 1,651,487 times
Well its obvious I am an extreme minority here, if not the only one perhaps. I find acapella music to be the most beneficial to me in my worship. I like both the old hymns and contemporary songs, but I think there is nothing more beautiful that the harmony made by singers without instruments. I've visited churches with loud, guitars, drums and high upbeat music and it was causing me to concentrate on the beat, tapping my feet and basically dancing to the rythym. Anyway, I prefer my acapella to give me a peaceful, spiritual feeling and I know I am then pleasing God. Everyone's view is so interesting, so please no attacks on my feelings here. It seems I am alone on this topic.

Last edited by robinhood; 06-11-2007 at 12:40 PM..

Old 06-11-2007, 12:15 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,764,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
Well its obvious I am an extreme minority here, if not the only one perhaps. I find acapella music to be the most beneficial to me in my worship. I like both the old hymns and contemporary songs, but I think there is nothing more beautiful that the harmony made by singers without instruments. I've visted churches with loud, guitars, drums and high upbeat music and it was causing me to concentrate on the beat, tapping my feet and basically dancing to the rythym. Anyway, I prefer my acapella to give me a peaceful, spiritual feeling and I know I am then pleasing God. Everyone's view is so interesting, so please no attacks on my feelings here. It seems I am alone on this topic.
no attacks robinhood, i remember a group from one of the Church of Christ area churches that was acapella and they were really good, just cant rem their name, must be old age-lol

Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,027,763 times
I would really like to see a mixture in our church. Our church is just TOO conservative. I guess that's a good thing in a lot of ways, but it really is hard to keep young people intrested and involved when it is so hum drum and so far off of todays real life world .
We ONLY have our hymnals with all of the great hymns from old time. I, don't get me wrong, I LOVE hymns! I couls sit and sing them all day long. HOWEVER, I would really like to see them loosen up a bit and bring in some Jeremy Camp, Chris Rice, Chris Tomlin, Sonic Flood etc. These are the ones that draw the young people! They are so UPBEAT and lifting in their songs and worship. This is what we need! We need to be lifted and brought to revival...not another thumb twiddling service that bores everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality