Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:14 PM

360 posts, read 444,646 times

Advertisements

I'm curious this forum's opinion on alien religions. I'm not sure if the possibility to meet extraterrestrials is even possible (there seems to be a lot of debate about hyperspace travel and the like, and I don't know if it all is possible), but if aliens do come to us... what sort of religion will they have? I always had this image of little green aliens in priestly clothes coming with some version of the Bible to teach us silly heathens about Jesus.

There have been suggestions about aliens possibly having their own "Jesus" or no religion or something completely differerent (perhaps they're polytheists!). I don't know at all myself (it would certainly be convenient if they were all Christian ), so I'm leaving the possibility up to you, my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 07:21 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,464,800 times
He worshiped "Phone Home."

Old 06-09-2010, 07:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,555,785 times
Since you're going to play pretend. Watch the movie "Enemy Mine".

Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,282,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
He worshiped "Phone Home."
Darn!

That's what June was gunna post! You beat June to it!

~She couldn't resist how cute the title of this thread is!

Take gentle phone-your-mother care!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:58 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,572,757 times
I think Sagan, no religious man to be certain, indicated their religion will be influenced by their biology. I do not agree with Sagan's views on religion, some of which were egregiously misinformed, but I think there's some truth to that even if one believes in religion as I do. I mean it makes sense God would give the message that relates to a species and doing so might relate to their biology a bit. I mean kosher laws had some relation to things like trichinosis so it'd make some sense if certain things are about their health and biology. If you are not religious it makes sense from Sagan's perspective that their view on reality would be shaped by their biology and that would affect whatever religion they may have.

Of course that leads to how would their biology impact their religion and what biology we mean. Naomi Mitchison in "Memoirs of a Spacewoman" emphasized that humans are in some way "bilateral" so we tend to think in terms of duality. (Left arm vs right arm, left eye vs right eye, good vs evil, light versus dark, etc) From this she imagined a "starfish" type species that sees things in fives rather than twos. As a Christian this might be slightly unnerving as it likely implies our ideas of the dichotomy between good and evil is simply a biological quirk. Still it was interesting to think about this idea and there are Christians whose ideas on Good/Evil are more complex. (Although I also think there are reasons for dichotomies, particularly yes/no and 1/0 of binary, that go beyond our bilateral symmetry) Another possible difference would be gender. A species with three or four genders might perceive God in different ways and also perceive love in different ways. In Catholicism nuns are married to God and priests are married to Mother Church. In a more complex, or simple, gender arrangement the terms they think of relating to God might be different. The analogy to express it would have to be different.

It's interesting and as I used to write science fiction I'd sometimes think on alien religions.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,545,682 times
I would believe that when any species reaches the point of mastering space travel and faster than life travel they will have left the superstition of deities far behind in their history.

If we as a species do not destroy ourselves trying to prove who's imaginary is right we too shall leave the superstition behind as our collective knowledge grows.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,184,405 times
I don't know who he worshipped on his home planet but on Earth, I think he worshipped Alexander Graham bell.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:58 AM

254 posts, read 415,147 times
He was from the future, where Drew Barrymore was in her 20's and was the goddess of all.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:38 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,960,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I would believe that when any species reaches the point of mastering space travel and faster than life travel they will have left the superstition of deities far behind in their history.

If we as a species do not destroy ourselves trying to prove who's imaginary is right we too shall leave the superstition behind as our collective knowledge grows.
I completely agree with this.

I'm not sure why you would automatically assume an alien race "has religion" to begin with.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:38 AM

360 posts, read 444,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
I completely agree with this.

I'm not sure why you would automatically assume an alien race "has religion" to begin with.
Well, why wouldn't they? Why is religion so primitive and unique to us? There's no reason to assume that all intelligent races are automatically atheists; that seems silly, considering the overwhelming possibility of life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality