Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 02:22 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,656,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
First off, let's clarify here. The bible clearly states that Noah brought one male and one female of every kind of animal.
"...one male and one female..." Are you sure it CLEARLY states that? Might want to read it again.

Genesis 7 (NIV)
1 The LORD then said to Noah, "Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation.
2 Take with you seven of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate,
3 and also seven of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth.

Based on that, reptiles would've been considered to be "clean" animals (no cloven hooves).

(And, according to Campbell's opinion, dinosaurs would have been included as well.)

Old 06-07-2010, 02:27 PM

235 posts, read 356,686 times
My mistake. I need to reread and brush up on my Bible

... but my former points still stand.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:42 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,510,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
"...one male and one female..." Are you sure it CLEARLY states that? Might want to read it again.

Genesis 7 (NIV)
1 The LORD then said to Noah, "Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation.
2 Take with you seven of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate,
3 and also seven of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth.

Based on that, reptiles would've been considered to be "clean" animals (no cloven hooves).

(And, according to Campbell's opinion, dinosaurs would have been included as well.)
Let us not forget, NightBazaar, how exactly Kind is defined. I can re-post my dissection of one of AIG's supposed mathematical proofs of the Ark by showing how impossible it would be to fit all those "kinds" onto the Ark in the first place. I might do that.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:43 PM

I'm holding my breath.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:44 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,010,529 times
Quote:
I'm holding my breath.
I can tell already you are in over your head.

Why don't YOU go and figure out the amount of space needed for all the animals that would have been on the ark?You guys make remarks like this but at the same time seem to show zero interest in doing any research into things yourself.Why is that?

Old 06-07-2010, 02:45 PM

lol. Ok?

Old 06-07-2010, 02:59 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,510,170 times
Quote:
I'm holding my breath.
The ark was 450 long, and made entirely of wood. The longest wooden ship in the world, outside of the mythical Ark, is just over 300 feet long. Do you know where that is? It sank, because constant stressing and flexing of the wooden hall from the waves poured sea-water into the hull. It had to be constantly pumped out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming_%28…

According to AIG, the Ark was a pretty big ship.
Was There Really a Noah’s Ark & Flood? - Answers in Genesis

Doing the math, the Ark is indeed 1518750 cubic feet. However, this isn't 522 Boxcars as AIG claims, it's only about 230 boxcars.
A Boxcar.
http://www.freefoto.com/images/25/24/25_…
Typical volume of a Boxcar, about 5200 - 6600 feet cube.
http://www.csx.com/?fuseaction=customers…
Volume of Creationist Boxcars? ~2669 Feet cube, according to CARM.
http://www.carm.org/questions/about-bibl…

I could not find any boxcars this size. I scoured for one but failed to locate one. This is two to three times smaller than typical boxcars.

There are millions of species of organisms on Earth, mostly insects (about 90%).
Insect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are over 5000 mammals alone, not including extinct ones. 10,000 living species of bird, 8900 of reptiles, 6200 amphibians, 30,000 fish, half of which are *freshwater* fish which cannot survive in a salt-water environment.

So, not only do you have to fit two of all these animals onboard the Ark, you have to provide both food & water. The first casualty of floods is drinking water. Even if animals are roughly the same size as sheep, you're packing 240 sheep (again, according to CARM) into a boxcar the size of your bedroom, and then you're stacking these micro boxcars on top of each other (notice how surface area is conveniently left out of Creationist equations). No sane person would subject animals to either of these conditions. The containers on bottom would be centers of disgust and disease. Everything on the bottom layer would die from the filth.

These animals alone would take up *far* more than 1\3 of the space. CARM reports about 60% of the space. They are using 1\3 size boxcars and fitting in a full-size boxcar worth of sheep into them. That alone puts their numbers at 180% of space. They don't include fish either (which they need to), or extinct animals, which there are a lot, nor water! And that food? Where does it get stored?

Considering average age of a person at that time was about 30 years of age, you're talking several generations of people to build that. Noah wasn't told to build it, but Noah's great great great great great grandfather was. He inherited a nearly finished ship.

The current continents formed long before Noah's time. The only possible way for those animals to cross would be through the Alaskan-Russian ice-bridge, which is unpredictable and sporadic. You're talking tropical animals waiting in the dead of winter to cross that. Would. Not. Happen. They would all die by then.

Which of course, means what happened to all these creatures that require specialized habitats to begin with? Remember all those aquatic animals? The ones that can only survive in salt water? All those fresh-water fish?

Non of this matters anyway, because the flood is a physical impossibility. There does not exist that much water on Earth to cause grand flooding on that scale, and the amount of rain water needed to produce that kind of flooding would turn the Earth into a boiling pot--I guess you can get your lobster bisque.

YouTube - Why do people laugh at creationists? (part 3).

Old 06-07-2010, 03:56 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,656,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Let us not forget, NightBazaar, how exactly Kind is defined. I can re-post my dissection of one of AIG's supposed mathematical proofs of the Ark by showing how impossible it would be to fit all those "kinds" onto the Ark in the first place. I might do that.
Indeed, I completely agree. The Ark would have to be much, MUCH, larger than the estimated dimensions to accommodate the massive number of animals, not to mention even larger storage space just to hold all the food for them. There's the common misconception that only two of each were brought aboard, when it was only the "unclean animals" that were said to be in pairs. The "clean animals" were said to have been in groups of seven, making space requirements even larger. I don't think anything need be said about what would be required to hold the addition of dinos in groups of seven, or even pairs.

And if that isn't enough, there's only a handful of people to feed all those animals, not to mention round-the-clock sanitation duties for the duration of time it took until the critters were finally set loose?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:12 PM

61 posts, read 78,034 times
Quote:
First off, let's clarify here. The bible clearly states that Noah brought one male and one female of every kind of animal.. NOT every species. Noah would not have had to bring a male and female for every species of canine for example.. only one kind from the canine group.. probably a wolf like creature... which would have had the genetic potential to lead to all of the species we see today. Just take the domestication of the dog in today's world. Man took a wild wolf like canine and now we have all the different breeds we see as pets.. the same logic goes for every other animal we see today on earth.

As your assumption about what the Bible "clearly" says is incorrect, I'm not going to address this argument. You are also making a major side-step to the original question. The original question didn't ask how many questions were on-board the ark. Nice try though. I guess it really is too much to ask for someone to answer a simple question.

And this leads into your next statement. You're acting as if the physical characteristics and abilities/tolerances of today's animals were the same thousands of years ago. Come on now. As a probably supporter of evolution, you should know better.
Are you implying that all the plant-life on the planet once had the ability to live underwater, in darkness, for extended periods of time, and has sinse "evolved" to be unable to do these things? This "evolution" must have taken place in less than 6000 years too huh?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
As your assumption about what the Bible "clearly" says is incorrect, I'm not going to address this argument. You are also making a major side-step to the original question. The original question didn't ask how many questions were on-board the ark. Nice try though. I guess it really is too much to ask for someone to answer a simple question.
LOL! code for, I'm wrong so I'm just going to ignore what you posted. Good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality