Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 03:19 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,584 times

Advertisements

Now I am talking about the actual theory itself. If you think there is something wrong with this scientific theory, why don't you point it out.

Claiming it is wrong because my ancient book says so, is not an argument for why reality is wrong.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,707 times
Do you believe in God?

Old 05-19-2010, 03:27 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,166,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdayd View Post
Do you believe in God?
Which one and this is going off topic.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:56 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Which one and this is going off topic.
So which one do you believe in? Your response implies that you do believe in a god otherwise you would have answered "I don't".

Seems in the last year the pat atheist answer to the question is "which one". When in fact, the truthful answer is none.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdayd View Post
Do you believe in God?
Your question implies that one cannot believe in God and accept the theory of evolution.

A concept that I disagree with.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:59 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Your question implies that one cannot believe in God and accept the theory of evolution.
Ok this one needs to be explained to me. How can you believe in the bible and adam and eve, poof idea AND believe in evolution.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Ok this one needs to be explained to me. How can you believe in the bible and adam and eve, poof idea AND believe in evolution.
I think this is the third time I pasted this in the last two weeks. No one pays attention to what I say......

I view the first part of the book of Genesis as basically saying that God created everything. It should be noted that Genesis was written for the Hebrew mindset. We (westerners) are of the Greek mindset. By Greek I mean we follow the Greek way of thinking and looking at the world. We want precise answers, facts, figures order of occurrence and dates, etc.

The Hebrew mindset is primarily interested in concepts, with facts and figures being secondary. What mattered to the Hebrews is that God created the Universe. The order and time of the events were not important to the Hebrew mind.

As I see it you run into problems applying Greek thinking to a Hebrew document. That is why the creation story does not make sense to the scientific mind.

Of course we always must bear in mind that God is not limited to obey the laws of nature. So, if God wanted to create the universe in six, 24 hour days He could.

Just so you know I believe all of the Bible to be true. But……….some of the Bible is poetry, some is symbolic, some conceptual, but most is literal (esp the NT).
This view is accepted by many Bible scholars.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:30 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I think this is the third time I pasted this in the last two weeks. No one pays attention to what I say......

I view the first part of the book of Genesis as basically saying that God created everything. It should be noted that Genesis was written for the Hebrew mindset. We (westerners) are of the Greek mindset. By Greek I mean we follow the Greek way of thinking and looking at the world. We want precise answers, facts, figures order of occurrence and dates, etc.

The Hebrew mindset is primarily interested in concepts, with facts and figures being secondary. What mattered to the Hebrews is that God created the Universe. The order and time of the events were not important to the Hebrew mind.

As I see it you run into problems applying Greek thinking to a Hebrew document. That is why the creation story does not make sense to the scientific mind.

Of course we always must bear in mind that God is not limited to obey the laws of nature. So, if God wanted to create the universe in six, 24 hour days He could.

Just so you know I believe all of the Bible to be true. But……….some of the Bible is poetry, some is symbolic, some conceptual, but most is literal (esp the NT).
This view is accepted by many Bible scholars.
Please dont take offense, I probably just missed it.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:35 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
When I was a Christian, I believed every word of the Bible was literal truth. No poetry or metaphor; all literal. Therefore I had major problems with the TOE, because it went against (at least in my mind) a literal interpretation of the creation account in Genesis. I don't know if that's how others see it, but it seems likely.

P.S. It also didn't help that I had no real understanding of the theory in the first place...

Old 05-19-2010, 04:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I have one problem with the Theory of Evolution, it doesn't explain how life began.

Yes, it very correctly explains how the diversity of life we enjoy today came into being. Survival of the fittest, and the luckiest, yes.

But it doesn't explain how the first cell formed, or how amino acids developed into the first DNA strain, or however life actually began.

Some scientists think that it does, and I don't see how that could be. They refuse to acknowledge that until we can conclusively say how life began on this planet, we can't rule out a creator of some kind.

That said, we can't rule out purple pony poop from outer space either, but I haven't heard that theory yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality