Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:16 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,029,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Dude, if I was capable of "just believing" something that feels completely wrong to me, I'd have done it back when I was four years old in Sunday school.
It's dudette.

No one is saying you have to believe in anything. It's only an experiment. You can stop it at anytime. You can keep your beliefs, however, some idea of your own God will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 09:27 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,208,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
Jesus was proof enough...and what did they do to him?

Moses was proof...
Noah was proof...
Abraham was proof...
Abel and Cain were Proof...
Adam and Eve were Proof...
The Earth is proof..
The universe is proof...
Life is proof...

But that is not enough? is it?
Right, and reindeer and toys are proof of Santa Claus, and eggs and candy are proof of the Easter Bunny?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:41 AM

1,553 posts, read 1,837,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
I am an atheist, and I think I can speak on behave all the atheists in the world on this one: we'll give your God a chance -- all the chances, but you need to present at least a single credible evidence to show your God exists.

Fair enough? Just like to anything else (God is no exception), demanding evidence is reasonable. Some explanation on "evidence": it does not have to be scientific, however it must be testable, verifiable.

So there you have it, go ahead give your God a chance.

Your words are some sort of fallacy; because you asserted it is a fact; while it is you that say the falsehood.

Everything has a maker, and every act has a doer.

The maker of the universe is God Almighty Who moved every moving object.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:59 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Quote:
I am an atheist, and I think I can speak on behave all the atheists in the world on this one: we'll give your God a chance -- all the chances, but you need to present at least a single credible evidence to show your God exists.

Fair enough? Just like to anything else (God is no exception), demanding evidence is reasonable. Some explanation on "evidence": it does not have to be scientific, however it must be testable, verifiable.

Isn't the idea that something must be proven by empirical evidence in order to be true a metaphysical statment? I mean, that idea can't be proven by empirical evidence. So, in essence you are putting your faith in something as much as any believer in god is.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I'll try your experiment if you try the opposite, stop believing for 2 months. Don't act, just actually stop believing in one for that time. Do you think you can do that?
I am trying your experiment. Not by choice. I didn't volunteer for this. But, I don't believe in god and haven't for a while now. Gotta say, I don't really get why it's important for those who don't believe in god to try to get others to question or lose that faith. What do you gain by it? Just curious.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:38 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
I know I know....
Ahh ha ha ha..

Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,942,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
For the first 30+ years of my life I didn't believe in anything.
Irrelevant, I'm asking if you can will yourself into changing what you believe now.

Well, can you stop believing for a while?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,634,823 times
Quote:

The first thing that jumped into my mind when I read that posting was, I don't think you speak for all the atheists. I don't think you even speak for a minority of them. You speak for yourself. And while it's very generous of you to "give God a chance," as you put it, setting yourself up as judge and jury over and above a God who, given his existence, would be the Creator of the Universe is edging towards the pretentious edge of the spectrum, don't you think?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:45 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,775,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I am trying your experiment. Not by choice. I didn't volunteer for this. But, I don't believe in god and haven't for a while now. Gotta say, I don't really get why it's important for those who don't believe in god to try to get others to question or lose that faith. What do you gain by it? Just curious.
POWER.

No, no. I'll be honest. We want to break the stranglehold of theist belief on society. We think it is not good that a belief that has no more evidential support than a myth (and a difference that makes no difference IS no difference) has so much influence in society, law, philosophy, education and politics.

We are alarmed at the way that science is being attacked because it finds facts that do not support theists beliefs and we are totally pissed at being treated like idiots and satanspawn because we choose reason over faith.

We want to do something about it.
We believe that people do want to feel that their beliefs are fairly based
we believe that people cannot reject their doubts in favour of Faith for ever.
We believe that people are ready to be less certain about their Gods
We believe that people will listen to reason.
We believe they need someone to tell them, before they can listen.
We tell them.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
POWER.

No, no. I'll be honest. We want to break the stranglehold of theist belief on society. We think it is not good that a belief that has no more evidential support than a myth (and a difference that makes no difference IS no difference) has so much influence in society, law, philosophy, education and politics.

We are alarmed at the way that science is being attacked because it finds facts that do not support theists beliefs and we are totally pissed at being treated like idiots and satanspawn because we choose reason over faith.

We want to do something about it.
We believe that people do want to feel that their beliefs are fairly based
we believe that people cannot reject their doubts in favour of Faith for ever.
We believe that people are ready to be less certain about their Gods
We believe that people will listen to reason.
We believe they need someone to tell them, before they can listen.
We tell them.
And you are so certain that you are right and everyone else is wrong about the existence of god that you feel you should proactively seek to change their minds? You don't feel the topic of the possibility of a spiritual reality is worthy of discussion where both sides of the debate might learn something from the other? Sounds like fundamentalism to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality