Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 08:49 PM

45 posts, read 50,957 times

Advertisements

You wanted statistics. Let me show you some statistic from RedFin.
https://ibb.co/kxzHg8

30% growth in value since last year. Idk looks like in 3 years price for decent single family home could be 1 mil USD as new normal in Gardnerville with this trend. I guess rent would be crazy too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 11:33 PM

I finally got it!!

2/2 condo for $1,600 in Gardnerville.
Not far from downtown. Not what I expected but at least something!

Old 08-03-2018, 09:43 AM

152 posts, read 263,296 times
Thanks for the update!

Old 08-03-2018, 10:38 AM

Maybe its funny for you but trust me it was most stressful part of my life. Its like you have to pay whole salary just for house/apartment. I have never had situation in such rural area (Minden/Gardnervile). I still can't believe that market is that "hot". Just few years back you could rent whatever you want. Good thing is that I signed lease for a year so I don't have to worry about it for a while.

I think salaries are not going at that pace as real estate market.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:16 PM

152 posts, read 263,296 times
No, just glad you got something.

What I have observed in Northern Nevada is when the housing prices were down some people that wished to sell their house instead rented the house out while waiting for the house's price to recover. This made non-investors into landlords and more rentals available. As the housing market recovered some landlords decided they can now sell the property that they wished to sell previously. Their current tenant then needs to look for a new place and the rental inventory becomes smaller.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:16 AM

Thanks. Sorry I may miss-interpreted your post.

you could be right but it must be something more into this. Last year there was about 15 houses on craigslist market at least. 2 years back 30+ houses on market for rent. (Minden/Gardnerville area). Now 1-2 houses. With one guy who is not even into renting but like "I will put you on list". I was like: "Dude are you on market for rent or remove damn ad". And other house (already rented out) was old guy who don't know how to delete ad but he has to wait for his daughter to remove it.

All real estate agencies in the are are like "we have wait list" as soon as we have something we will give you a call.

This is now epic proportions. Probably Californians. I don't see any other explanation.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:37 AM

12 posts, read 12,339 times
Reviving bit of a older thread here; I'm interested to get input from people that are living in or familiar with Minden/Gardnerville, and particularly thoughts on the 'Ranchos' area.

I am retired, live alone and own small home were I reside in SoCal (North of San Diego) - I've been looking at these small towns as potentially a good fit for relocation: gets me closer to what family I have who live in the SF Bay area, I enjoy outdoor activities including XC skiing in winter and the cold winters would be beneficial in terms of reducing the number of months I have to deal with my allergies (tree and grass pollen).

My overall impression of Minden/Gardnerville is that there are really no 'bad' areas of these towns, but I clearly notice the Ranchos area is a bit of a mashup of older and some newer homes.

Appreciate any input you can provide on these two small towns, housing, the people, etc. I sort of grabbed onto this thread as I've been watching rental availability the past few months and seems the offerings are quite slim - I'd plan to rent for a while to get the lay of the land before purchasing a smallish home.

Thanks / Bill

Old 07-23-2022, 02:13 PM

10 posts, read 7,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaRE View Post
No, just glad you got something.

What I have observed in Northern Nevada is when the housing prices were down some people that wished to sell their house instead rented the house out while waiting for the house's price to recover. This made non-investors into landlords and more rentals available. As the housing market recovered some landlords decided they can now sell the property that they wished to sell previously. Their current tenant then needs to look for a new place and the rental inventory becomes smaller.
that's very interesting, do you think with the higher interest rates this will happen again in (2022) we are considering moving from LV to Reno and will be house hunting within the next six months.

Old 07-23-2022, 03:22 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,514,055 times
Right now prices are coming down if people are asking too much. Houses that are priced reasonably for the market are still selling.

Old 07-24-2022, 01:36 PM

10 posts, read 7,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Right now prices are coming down if people are asking too much. Houses that are priced reasonably for the market are still selling.
good news Teacher Terry, the housing market in LV is also bouncing around like crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area