Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:42 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backandforth83 View Post
I've always been irritated that the LL needs to have a key to my house. If there were a real emergency, he could break a window. I'd gladly pay to replace a pane of glass or patio door if it meant I could be the only person with keys to my house. I'd understand the justification behind having a maintenance person or LL having keys to an apartment that's only accessible through the front door, but in the case of a house it just irks me that the person I happen to pay my rent to could just come and go or give my keys out without even telling me. I'm not even supposed to change the lock to my bedroom door, but obviously I did that and he doesn't have a key. I couldn't care less about my contractual obligations when the only other option is compromising my safety and my privacy. I'd rather get sued and lose.

Incidentally, my LL lost the keys to our house several months ago. Not only did he fail to inform us, let alone offer to change the locks (presumably as a LL the keys to our house are labeled with our address), but one day he gave out my housemate's number to his new girlfriend, who called my housemate to demand a copy of her key so she could store some things in our garage.

Really, some LLs should be forced to just forfeit the right to have a key.
Buy your own property if you don't like it ! No one forces you to rent and not own !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:46 AM

146 posts, read 711,553 times
LOL!

It's not always the right time to buy. I'm a college student who only needed a place for a year.

Just because you don't own doesn't mean you don't have rights.

And anyway, no one "forces" a LL to rent out their property either. If they can't obey the law and respect their tenants, then they should invest their spare change in stocks or something rather than rentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Buy your own property if you don't like it ! No one forces you to rent and not own !

Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
LOL!

It's not always the right time to buy. I'm a college student who only needed a place for a year.

Just because you don't own doesn't mean you don't have rights.

And anyway, no one "forces" a LL to rent out their property either. If they can't obey the law and respect their tenants, then they should invest their spare change in stocks or something rather than rentals.
I do follow the law and you have NO rights under the law to change the locks without consent....

I as a LL have rules to follow and you as a tenant have rules to follow...

I follow mine but you don't seem to want to follow yours!

And now is the right time to buy...there are a lot of good deals out there....

It's not a good time to sale right now....

Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 AM

Haha, are you high? I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about my LL. I have no idea what kind of LL you are. Meanwhile MY LL was entering as he pleased, and as far as I'm concerned that voids his right to have a key. And even if it doesn't, my safety is my first priority, and comes before my contractual obligations, especially when he's already proven that he will not fulfill his own.

Again, it might be a good time to buy, but it's not a good time for me. LL can leave the place vacant, sell at a loss, or hire a property manager. As a student with loans and a part time job, there's no way I'd be approved for a mortgage. You can't even get a mobile home around here for under $100K. All I want is for all parties to fulfill their contractual obligations, not just me. I don't ask for anything more.

Quote:
I do follow the law and you have NO rights under the law to change the locks without consent....

I as a LL have rules to follow and you as a tenant have rules to follow...

I follow mine but you don't seem to want to follow yours!

And now is the right time to buy...there are a lot of good deals out there....

It's not a good time to sale right now....

Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I've always been irritated that the LL needs to have a key to my house. If there were a real emergency, he could break a window. I'd gladly pay to replace a pane of glass or patio door if it meant I could be the only person with keys to my house. I'd understand the justification behind having a maintenance person or LL having keys to an apartment that's only accessible through the front door, but in the case of a house it just irks me that the person I happen to pay my rent to could just come and go or give my keys out without even telling me. I'm not even supposed to change the lock to my bedroom door, but obviously I did that and he doesn't have a key. I couldn't care less about my contractual obligations when the only other option is compromising my safety and my privacy. I'd rather get sued and lose.

Incidentally, my LL lost the keys to our house several months ago. Not only did he fail to inform us, let alone offer to change the locks (presumably as a LL the keys to our house are labeled with our address), but one day he gave out my housemate's number to his new girlfriend, who called my housemate to demand a copy of her key so she could store some things in our garage.

Really, some LLs should be forced to just forfeit the right to have a key.
No where did you say your LL was entering your apartment several times without letting you know... You are just blowing smoke out of you *** because you think you know everything.

You said you were a college student, I'll have to take that you are not a law student or you would understand contract law...

So what if he lost the keys, doesn't mean anyone that found them would know what they went to...Do not hand out any BS that he had an address on them unless you have pictures to back it up...

Old 07-27-2010, 12:28 PM

This would be funny if it weren't so sad. You are just another LL apologist intent on assuming the worst of tenants and the best of LLs. There's nothing I can say or do to change that. Pictures of lost keys? Really? Oh well.

Quote:
No where did you say your LL was entering your apartment several times without letting you know... You are just blowing smoke out of you *** because you think you know everything.

You said you were a college student, I'll have to take that you are not a law student or you would understand contract law...

So what if he lost the keys, doesn't mean anyone that found them would know what they went to...Do not hand out any BS that he had an address on them unless you have pictures to back it up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting