Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:45 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,389 times

Advertisements

Who else hates this? oh my god, you're paying 1000 for rent?? my mortgage is half of that Look, everyone here wants to own their own place someday. but maybe some people aren't secure in their jobs. maybe some people may not wanna live in their current state and want to relocate. its not easy selling a house in today's market ya know. from what i see, its a great time to buy a house. but not a great time to sell. the only way i can justify buyin ga house is if you see yourself being at your job for 5-10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 01:56 PM

188 posts, read 974,504 times
As a homeowner ( I have been a renter in the past) I can see your point. I know alot of people who have sold or lost there homes because of the economy. If I had to do it all over again..I would probably rent. Why? If my heat pumps goes out..who pays for it? I do..and a new heat pump is way out of my league. When my hot water heater went out and ruined the floor..who paid for it? I did. Had to get a loan for a new floor and water heater. See? The people that are thinking you are awful for not being a homeowner are probably the same ones who think "wow wish I was still renting then I wouldn't have all of the hassle of having to pay for stuff myself." Being a home owner is great...when YOU feel comfortable being one. And only YOU will know when that time comes. Good luck and relax..it's your life..live it how you want!!

Old 07-26-2010, 02:07 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,209,779 times
Personally, I think it is a lifestyle choice. What bam said is entirely true. I bought a house because I could not keep all my hobby equipment in my apartment. I love my home and can certainly afford it but I long for the days when someone else did the gardening and maintenance.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Why do you care what other people think? It's none of their business, period. I'd never waste time even having a passing thought about it ...

Old 07-26-2010, 04:33 PM

492 posts, read 1,397,377 times
SST is right! Watch a little more House or Becker on TV, you'll get the attitude.

Larry - Hobe Sound, Fl

Last edited by lcole07; 07-26-2010 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-26-2010, 04:46 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,779 times
I hate renting. I hate that anytime anything goes wrong I have to go through a LL that is far less than reliable. We've had SO many issues, and they all seem to take weeks or even months to resolve. Owning was so much better, imo. I can't wait to do it again. We have to sell our house up north first though.

As far as what people think, I used to notice that stigma far more than I do now. Not sure why. I really don't care what people think about whether we own or rent.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:48 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
As far as what people think, I used to notice that stigma far more than I do now. Not sure why. I really don't care what people think about whether we own or rent.
And, to repeat, neither should you!

Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And, to repeat, neither should you!
I do though. Not about the stigma, if there is one. Just about the gigantic pain everything having to do with renting this house has been.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:05 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
Wife/I bought a house (first time for me) while living in Colorado. We were both in mid 50's. It was a 2-story with a fairly large backyard (1/4 acre total). It was just us two living in the house while the other houses that surrounded us had families w/kids living in them. We had two bedrooms and a Den that we never used! Anyway, the upkeep in the beginning was fairly easy, but shoveling inches-to-feet of snow during the three winters we lived in was somewhat backbreaking. After my hip replacement and rotatar cuff (shoulder) surgeries, we decided to sell the house and move out of Colorado. We lost about $7k when we sold it due to the housing market at the time (mid 2007). We are now back living in another apartment, but the best apartment we've ever lived in ("bungaloo" type/1-level). Now more mowing lawn, adjusting sprinklers, spraying weeds, racking leaves or paying for any repairs in our living area (apartment). All done for us! Of course, no more shoveling snow......live in Florida! We have more time to enjoy our boat and other things we like doing......YES!! A house can be a great investment until money (sometimes a lot) start going out for house repairs. True, an apartment is not an investment, but for us, renting sure has it's pluses (especially when the age is in the early 60's)!!
We are thinking about buying a Condo someday or perhaps a 1-level small house.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,619,505 times
Pretty much everyone I know rents where I live, houses are just too expensive for the mean salary around here. So I suppose there isn't some weird stigma about it.

I don't mind though, because if I get sick of the weather (we have a lot of microclimates) of sick of the house, I can just get up and move, no worries. I really don't like the idea of being stuck in one place for 30 or so years...blech. Maybe one day I'll settle down, but I'll go with renting for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting