Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 06:52 PM

263 posts, read 890,002 times

Advertisements

I ask because I would like to move out of our current rental when our lease is up in August. It's nice enough, but our jobs are each 25 and 45 minutes further north. I'm not sure we want to buy this year, our new governor in Florida is making us nervous, he doesn't seem to like state employees, and hubby wants to make sure his job is more secure first. And with all the NASA employees about to be let go, we think there might be a chance that home prices will be even lower in our area next year. By that time we will have even more down payment saved.

The problem is, I can't find a rental that makes it worth the move, paying another deposit etc. But, I'm finding lots of houses I would want to buy, just maybe a little over year from now. It would be very convenient if I could just rent one of them for a year, then buy it, saving us the extra move, and some commuting time.

How would I find out if someone is willing to rent instead of sell? Call the listing agents? Will I just be wasting time? I know we wanted to sell rather than rent our house out and have to worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,131 times
If there is enough inventory in your area, you should be able to do this no problem. As it is, many owners want to wait "a year or so" for the market to "recover," before listing, so someone to cover the nut in the meantime is great for them.

You may even be able to negotiate a flexible lease term-- like guarantee a year and then float month to month or bi-monthly after the year is up-- this would leave you the freedom to move when you decided what to do without being locked into a full year lease and without the pressure of having to decide before the first year is finished.

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:24 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,167 times
When we had a house for sale once our agent was approached by a family looking to rent -- I think you should contact the listing agents for the houses you are interested in -- you never know. There are more and more reluctant landlords out there. Just make sure you get a kosher lease sine many of them have no clue what they are doing.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:20 PM

468 posts, read 1,379,863 times
I know a lot of people in this area of Georgia that offer their home for rent after it being on the market and not selling - especially if they have another home or area they're moving to, or already live in.

I will also say that when I have a person looking for a rental, I'll go through recently expired listings to see if they are open for rental, if it matches my clients' criteria - just because it didn't sell doesn't mean they don't want to do something with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting