Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:53 AM

44 posts, read 299,347 times

Advertisements

We rented a home for the last 2 years in SC. We moved out last month and received notice that our landlords charged us for painting the interior of the house. I thought it was the landlords' responsibility to paint. Anyone have insight on this $1,515 question? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Did they list that the paint was damaged? I would only think it was appropriate to charge for painting if the tenant messed up the walls.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
If it had to painted because of you beyond normal wear and tear you pay.....

Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Is there a set life for paint like there is for carpets? If so make sure they aren't charging you the whole thing.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:06 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
Painting because of fading is a LL's responsiblity. Painting because of damage is a tenant's cost. Damage can include holes, dirt, discoloration, crayon, scrapes, etc. Some landlords do not include nail holes from hanging photos as damage, as long as they are tidy and a reasonable quantity. We actually charge if a tenant TRIES to repair nail holes, since they always mess it up, and it is in our lease that way. Shiny spots from attempted repairs = damage.

My understanding is that some states have a "lifespan" on rental paint, but my state does not. A good paint job can last 20 years if not damaged, so it is hard to put a number on a lifespan, in my opinion. We've had rentals we didn't have to paint inside for a decade, and we've had tenants destroy the paint job within 6 months.

Was the house repainted before you moved in? If not, how old is the house (for an "oldest cap" on the age of the paint), and was the paint job in good condition when you moved in? Did you damage the walls while living there?

If the paint was new or in good condition at move in, and was not at move out, this is probably your expense. However, if you lived there for 2 years, and paid your rent on time every month, and left the place otherwise in good repair, I would try to negotiate on the amount.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcarolinaonmymind View Post
We rented a home for the last 2 years in SC. We moved out last month and received notice that our landlords charged us for painting the interior of the house. I thought it was the landlords' responsibility to paint. Anyone have insight on this $1,515 question? Thanks!
Normal wear and tear you should owe nothing. I routinely paint between each tenant, unless I have a particularly fastidious one, and I have never in 30 years charged anyone because I repainted. Was the house damaged?

Old 07-29-2010, 06:25 PM

44 posts, read 299,347 times
The walls were not damaged in any way, but she claims they are dirty. Well, I have 3 kids, so there are some spots. The house was not freshly painted when I moved in. I also know she was planning to paint after we moved out anyway because the house is now for sale.

How do I determine the value of paint that is 4 years old?

Old 07-30-2010, 03:01 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,550,952 times
I would refer to the lease, here are pertinent S.C. LL/T with the link.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t27c040.htm (broken link)

TENANT OBLIGATIONS
SECTION 27-40-510. Tenant to maintain dwelling unit.
A tenant shall:
(1) comply with all obligations primarily imposed upon tenants by applicable provisions of building and housing codes materially affecting health and safety;
(2) keep the dwelling unit and that part of the premises that he uses reasonably safe and reasonably clean;
(3) dispose from his dwelling unit all ashes, garbage, rubbish, and other waste in a reasonably clean and safe manner;
(4) keep all plumbing fixtures in the dwelling unit or used by the tenant reasonably clean;
(5) use in a reasonable manner all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, and other facilities and appliances including elevators in the premises;
(6) not deliberately or negligently destroy, deface, damage, impair, or remove any part of the premises or knowingly permit any person to do so who is on the premises with the tenant's permission or who is allowed access to the premises by the tenant;
(7) conduct himself and require other persons on the premises with the tenant's permission or who are allowed access to the premises by the tenant to conduct themselves in a manner that will not disturb other tenant's peaceful enjoyment of the premises;
(8) comply with the lease and rules and regulations which are enforceable pursuant to Section 27-40-520.

SECTION 27-40-520. Rules and regulations. (a) A landlord, from time to time, may adopt rules or regulations, however described, concerning the tenant's use and occupancy of the premises. They are enforceable against the tenant only if:

(5) they are not for the purpose of evading the obligations of the landlord;

Old 07-30-2010, 12:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
I've helped friends/family members move many times...

Part of the process always involved washing down the walls... I can still remember the smell of ****&span...

Simple dirt can usually be carefully washed away and some of the dry cleaners work well.

Very seldom do I come across people that wash-down walls... unless they are 70 or older

Dirt is not wear and tear...

Are you contesting the painting or the amount charged? When I charge, my charges are almost always pro-rated... and often, I don't charge at all for long term tenancies.

Pre-move inspections are always available upon request... no one likes unpleasant surprises and it's an opportunity for everyone to be on the same page.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:37 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcarolinaonmymind View Post
The walls were not damaged in any way, but she claims they are dirty. Well, I have 3 kids, so there are some spots. The house was not freshly painted when I moved in. I also know she was planning to paint after we moved out anyway because the house is now for sale.

How do I determine the value of paint that is 4 years old?
That sounds like normal wear and tear. I'm a landlord but yours is clearly out of line. I would read up on your Landlord/Tenant laws and tell the landlord that you are going to challenge it.

Kids are kids, and I gladly rent to families. Pets are another situation altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting