Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 11:19 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times

Advertisements

I have early warning that I will have to move out of my home, and I've been pondering the ups and downs of a number of different housing situations, since there's no way I can get exactly the same as what I have now. Since my income has gone up, I was thinking about renting a 3 bedroom, using 2 of them and renting out the last one. Even without a tenant, I can still meet the 1/3 rent to income rule by myself. A few questions:

1) Do you typically have to sign a roommate onto the lease, or is it usually possible to draft a separate lease directly with the roomie, complete with deposit and stipulations - with the landlord's permission, of course?

2) If so, how would this sublease differ from my main lease? If I made it month to month with the stipulation that I could give a 30-day notice to leave if we were hugely getting in each others' hair, would that fly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 12:00 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
1) Do you typically have to sign a roommate onto the lease, or is it usually possible to draft a separate lease directly with the roomie, complete with deposit and stipulations - with the landlord's permission, of course?

You could have them listed as an occupant on your lease.

Draft a month to month written lease, keeps both parties options open.

Include your specifics and stay within state law. Common space, such as kitchen privileges any outdoor space, parking area. I would have a lawyer construct the lease.

2) If so, how would this sublease differ from my main lease?

Leases are state law statutes that a landlord follows and enforcable by law, such as security deposits, termination ect... ect, to answer the question the only difference will be your specifics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting