Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:58 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times

Advertisements

I've been here 5.5 years and have always paid within the grace period (1st to the 6th) never after the grace period

This month I need to pay 3 days after the end of the grace period on the evening of the 9th. The rent bill envelope says there is a $15 fee for rent received after the 6th but the lease says it's $25 and that a tenant has a few times within a 12 month period to pay late(I think it's up to 3 times) before any action can be taken

Under the lease section of "rent payments and added rent" it mentions a 5 day notice to pay

I am going to leave my landlord a note tomorrow AM explaining that i will be paying the eve of the 9th and will be including the late fee. I am not going to provide any excuses or reasons, I am just telling them to expect the rent and late fee on the eve of the 9th

When does the notice to pay kick in? Right after the 6th? Does it mean they give me until the 11th to pay?

Personally, I am kind of tense about leaving them a note. I don't even think they are concerned about whether i will pay, but the landlord/ wife has had a tendency to be kind of harsh toward me (I think she might be a little prejudiced because i am in my 40's and am not married who knows) and we had words over a roach infestation over the past 2 years (but I think that is in the past now as my place is in much better condition). there have been times when she has been cordial toward me too

I just don't know what to expect from them once they read the note. I am going to slide it under their door tomorrow AM before i go to work. I fear a tirade from her or a harsh lecture. I would rather not tell them in person but i want them to be informed in advance

Any idea how this works? Please respond as I'm kind of apprehensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 07:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
I appreciate advanced notice and will hold you to the 9th based on what you've said.

I have zero tolerance for rent dodgers and those stalling and my tenants know it. Thankfully, I have not had to deal with one for a long time.

One tenant has twice given me a check and asked me to hold it because she is paid under contract and sometimes it is the 7th of the month. Never a problem with her check and we bank at the same bank.

As an owner, I can and do give good tenants a little leeway. As a manager... I follow the rules or I'm out.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:10 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,891,396 times
Ditto.
I like my tenants to tell me ahead of time if they are going to be late. Maybe once I've let someone pay late with no late fee. I do charge the full late fee. if someone tells me they are going to pay on a date and they don't...they get an eviction notice. If a tenant does not pay when due or in the grace period and I have not heard from them, they get an ecivtion notice and I will carry it out.
I would not worry about telling them ahead of time. it's a much better thing to do.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,692,542 times
Default better that i pay the late fee

up front than to have them bill me for it on the next month's rent bill

Old 12-01-2010, 07:45 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,757,346 times
Truly, I think you'll be fine with your plan. Recently, I had to pay 1/2 a months rent (instead of the full thing) due to surgery. Even doing that, my LL was understanding and thanked me for letting her know ahead. Most LL's are understanding and realize that paying a few days late is much better than the next tenant that may not pay at all. I was worried also about telling my LL (not only is she a lawyer but she's also a 5th degree black belt ... the joke around our house is that I'll get my a** kicked two different ways if I screw up ).

Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
I agree with others, to give them notice of when you will be paying.

One of my tenants called me that they forgot to mail the rent and they called on the 28th which was very nice and they wanted to meet with me so the rent would be on time but since they have been great tenants I told them to put it in the mail that day and I will get it probably tomorrow.

I once had a tenant tell me he would be on the 7th and luckily I told him there would be a late fee which he didn't mind...by the 11th he still hadn't paid but he already got a 3 Day's Notice from me and then he paid. My late fees are on the high side so they will think twice before paying late again.

Btw I also give discount for paying early...

Old 12-01-2010, 09:16 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,148,155 times
rlrl, if I had a tenant with a 5 1/2 year spotless payment record, I would be more than willing to accommodate a late payment. The key for me would be, is this an exceptional condition or has your cash flow somehow changed where the rent will be a struggle each month. You didn't list the reason why this payment is late (not that you have to) but I am sure the landlord will be a lot more accepting if she felt it was an unusual condition and things will be back to normal.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:32 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,537 times
Hard for me to believe that there is actually a "grace period" for paying your rent. Most of the time LL's will give you a couple days before they send the warning notices and charge a late fee, but is not considered a grace period. Your rent is still due on the date listed on the lease. You wouldn't have to worry about the LL's reaction if you paid on time. While some LLs are really easy going and nice about a late payment, you shouldn't expect others to be ok with it.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,372 times
I wish I got a discount on paying early. I always pay 1 or 2 weeks before the first of the month.

I had to pay late 1 time. I called my landlord and told him and he was fine with it. He wouldn't even accept the late fee from me.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:23 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,148,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I wish I got a discount on paying early. I always pay 1 or 2 weeks before the first of the month.

I had to pay late 1 time. I called my landlord and told him and he was fine with it. He wouldn't even accept the late fee from me.
Believe it or not, giving a discount on an early payment is problematic in California as too many landlords were disguising a late fee as an early payment discount. Example, if the rent is $2000 and you were offered a $200 discount to pay early, the courts have decided that the rent really is $1800 and the $200 is a late fee if not paid before some date. There are rules on excessive late fees.

The only way I would consider it is of the entire lease was paid at the signing. Example, I would give a one year lease paid up front at $22,000 or a completely different lease where the rent was $2,000 paid monthly. I hadn't really thought about that before but that may not be a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting