Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times

Advertisements

Even in common areas, you need to TELL them that they are on camera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Even in common areas, you need to TELL them that they are on camera.
Just a sticker on the door or wall where any notices are routinely posted stating that common areas may be under video survellience is enough.

I would think cameras in a common area to detect/prevent possible criminal activity would be welcome by tenants.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,182 times
I've put tape over a camera that is directly facing my bed. My landlord has admitted to doing this to his friend. I spent a lot of money on moving and am a single female. My landlord apparently a pig. Can I call the police as a first step rather than going through an attorney allowing him to record atkeast my voice for a longer period. How do I get an expert in to verify to law enforcement/ attorny this is a camera. I honestly feel threatened that he will come in and rape me as when he constantly finds things to do in my apartmeenT he talks about rape all the time (how he wouldn't want it **** that but who even brings that up but psychos?) I really feel scared with no money to get out of here. Can anyone help with what my next stepss might be for a safe delivery from this situation???

Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
GO to the police station, do not call 911. Talk with a detective and explain what is going on and ask someone to come and verify what y ou suspect. The detective should have some suggestions for what to do next.

Do not delay.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
I saw this on CSI.... they called it voyeurism YES its Illegal... Its also called peeping tom!

Old 02-22-2013, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,189 times
I was renting a house from a couple who live in Rhode Island. Their rental house is in Tamarac, FL. Two weeks before I moved out, the husband sent me emails stating that they had a camera in the house and knew when and where I moved my chair! He told me to "be careful." He also told me in an email that they are satanists and they hated me and cheated me out of my security deposit. He also told me that his wife was being nice because they wanted to get the last month's rent out of me in addition to stealing the security! They lied about everything, but I didn't know! I knew something was wrong, but didn't see it until the last few days that I lived there. They also lied to their realtor who tried to help me to get my security deposit back. I stayed 18 months. The husband even sent me a voicemail message with the music to the OMEN movie!

I now wonder where the camera was. They also taped a couple of my conversations and he threatened me verbally too.

I pray that those tapes are destroyed by ALMIGHTY GOD!! Also, I hope they didn't see me naked and put any pictures of me on the internet. HOW does one find out that??? GOD, I hope not.

I saved the emails and sent a copy to the brother so he could see how sick they are.

I am now deciding to send copies of the emails to the FBI and local police departments because if they did it once, They may do it again to someone else. I also want the renters there now to know the truth about their sick landlords.

What kind of an attorney do I need for this kind of case to ask for legal advice?

GOD HELP US ALL.

THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU.

Last edited by JazzladyMO; 02-22-2013 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Color change Also add something else.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Jazzlady, you need to hire an attorney specializing in rental issues. S/he will be able to help with the security deposit and should have some knowledge about helping you with criminal charges, assuming you kept the e-mails referencing cameras, concerning videotaping you. Good luck.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,189 times
NY Annie:

There is a lady on Youtube named Annie who deceived me.

I do not think it's you. I hope not.

FYI, it is over a year since I rented the house of those perverts in Rhode Island.

I am going to the police department in person and ask to speak to a detective. In fact, I already talked to a retired Leutenant. I told him that I had the emails and he stated that if it was past the statute of limitations, it may be too late.

BUT, I can make sure that they don't do it to anyone else. Their brother told me that he is suing them for money they owe him. So, it's not just me.

Since I lived in their house, I am now certain that two places I've lived had either cameras or listening devices in my house.

FOR WHAT??? I do not know!! I am a born-again Christian and do not smoke or do drugs.

So, there is no motive or reason for sick twisted perversion on the part of those landlords! They are going to get caught very soon.

God bless you. God bless America.

SHALOM.

Monique

PS. And you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free!! THAT is the BIBLE.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,963 times
I have a question that is on the opposite end of this conversation. I am a tenant and I suspect that my landlord is entering my apartment unannounced. He lives in the same building, the apartment right below mine. It clearly states that the land lord MUST give 24hrs notice before entering an apartment. I was wondering if there was any legal issues by me (the tenant) to place a camera inside my apartment to try to catch him, without notifying him that I did so????

Old 04-21-2013, 12:02 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalEra View Post
I have a question that is on the opposite end of this conversation. I am a tenant and I suspect that my landlord is entering my apartment unannounced. He lives in the same building, the apartment right below mine. It clearly states that the land lord MUST give 24hrs notice before entering an apartment. I was wondering if there was any legal issues by me (the tenant) to place a camera inside my apartment to try to catch him, without notifying him that I did so????
It's your space for which you pay rent so yes, you can, and there's nothing illegal about doing so at all. I had a suspicion my last LL was going into my apartment when, one day, I found the door unlocked upon my return. I believe I startled her with an early return and she didn't hear me until the last moment and fumbled the lock on the quick exit. I researched a wide variety of cameras and, in the meantime, put invisible tape on the outside door every time I went out. It was never disturbed so I didn't get the camera after all - but as soon as my lease was up I left as it's a horrible feeling knowing that someone is watching you and invading your privacy. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting