Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 11:13 AM

688 posts, read 2,836,459 times

Advertisements

It may be a silly question but I was searching short term rental homes in an area and on one of them that we like it states this: Appt/Agent must accompany.

What exactly does this mean? Do we have to find a real estate agent to schedule an appt. for us to see the home? That's the way it sounded to me.....I think....

Help?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 07:05 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,898,379 times
It means that it will be shown by appointment only and that the listing agent must accompany all showings.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:18 PM

Thank you palmcoasting!

Old 07-22-2007, 04:37 PM

33 posts, read 84,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
It may be a silly question but I was searching short term rental homes in an area and on one of them that we like it states this: Appt/Agent must accompany.

What exactly does this mean? Do we have to find a real estate agent to schedule an appt. for us to see the home? That's the way it sounded to me.....I think....

Help?

Thanks!
No such thing as a silly question.

It means you have to have an appointment, and they don't want you coming without an agent. When you see this, you're going to most likely be dealing with a property that is either unoccupied, or the current tenants aren't there during the day when people might be looking. If a licensed agent of some kind brings you, the owner has someone he can turn to (blame) if something is stolen or damaged. Realtors are used to accepting this particular liability as part of the cost of doing business, and they also can do an informal screening on the people they show property to. In other words, the landlord is simply looking out for his property.

If you are interested enough in this particular place to do it, call an agent and ask them to show you the property. It won't cost you anything. If you just don't want to call an agent for some reason, find the apartments you don't need an agent to see. You should probably look in smaller venues, Sunday classifieds maybe, or other places where individual landlords who are free to show their rental units might be more plentiful.

I have a lot of rental property, and although some of it is in Washington, DC where short-term rental customers are plentiful, short-term rentals are a nuisance elsewhere, and most landlords avoid them like the plague. You may just be looking at agent-accompanied showings as part of the price you're going to pay for the luxury of a short-term commitment in your area.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:18 PM

Thank you, very good detailed information. Also, thanks for not thinking I was silly!

Short term looking at 6 months, but we would like to stay in the home if we do not find a home to buy, and we just prefer renting 6 months at a time instead of being locked into a year because if we find the house we want to buy, we want to be able to get out of renting without having to break a lease. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMCopeland View Post
No such thing as a silly question.

It means you have to have an appointment, and they don't want you coming without an agent. When you see this, you're going to most likely be dealing with a property that is either unoccupied, or the current tenants aren't there during the day when people might be looking. If a licensed agent of some kind brings you, the owner has someone he can turn to (blame) if something is stolen or damaged. Realtors are used to accepting this particular liability as part of the cost of doing business, and they also can do an informal screening on the people they show property to. In other words, the landlord is simply looking out for his property.

If you are interested enough in this particular place to do it, call an agent and ask them to show you the property. It won't cost you anything. If you just don't want to call an agent for some reason, find the apartments you don't need an agent to see. You should probably look in smaller venues, Sunday classifieds maybe, or other places where individual landlords who are free to show their rental units might be more plentiful.

I have a lot of rental property, and although some of it is in Washington, DC where short-term rental customers are plentiful, short-term rentals are a nuisance elsewhere, and most landlords avoid them like the plague. You may just be looking at agent-accompanied showings as part of the price you're going to pay for the luxury of a short-term commitment in your area.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:33 PM

33 posts, read 84,980 times
And thank you for being the kind of person who's concerned about breaking a lease mid-term! Says good things about you.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:33 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Call the listing agent. Betcha they will show it to you. That clause is also significant to the showing agent. Says to your agent if you don't show it no commission.

You can also check around for an agent who will do rentals. Some will particularly if you indicate you may buy in the next year.

You can also get a year lease with a clause that says you can terminate after 6 without costs. Many will give it to you.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:09 PM

Thanks! Also, good info!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:47 PM

7 posts, read 19,396 times
Default I Need To Locate A Rental Property Like Last Week!!!!!!!!

I am relocating from MD. to GA. I have been on-line and and on the telephone for 2 weeks with CENTURY 21, RENTALLIST.NET, HOMERENTALS.COM..... I would like for someone, preferably a professional in the field, to reach out. I am going to be in the area August 24th on business and was hoping to bring all of my belongings with me, either before the 24th or on the 24th.

I would like to purchase but I do not think it's a good idea because I am not familiar with the area, schools, communities..... I am self-employed and about to contract with a new client in Fulton County, SW. There is 1 adult, 1 child (12 year old girl and Nicol 8 mo. old English Hound. Nicol is well behaved and unbelievably smart (human-like). She was a gift to my daughter from a former partner who breeds and ****zu trains. She's a permanent part of the family. If I could find something offering reasonable rent, I would like that. I would like 3-4 beds (preferably 4) 1.5-2.5 baths, a large kitchen, and a fenced yard or huge lot.

Is it true that schools are back in session August 13th and is it so for all of GA public schools? I now that you cannot advertise but can you reach me through private messaging on this site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting