Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:43 AM

776 posts, read 1,684,559 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any previous experience in dealing with issues with occupants of Section 8 homes?

I've lived near a home owned by the Housing Authority of Raleigh (Section 8) for about 6 years now, and we've had no problems with previous occupants, except for the last two. Enough people in my neighborhood complained about the last occupants for their loud music and alleged drug activity, and they were removed from the home. We've now got a new couple who moved in a couple weeks ago, and there are even more concerns now about the new occupants. In short, the police have already been called to the house for music. They've also been caught routinely staring at my neighbors and me thru the blinds as we leave our homes. There has also been a car that has made brief stops every now and then. Ok...so what, right? I mean, it's not much. Well, we do have a neighborhood watch setup and we did report the license plate number to our officer who offers guidance and assistance to our community. The officer could not tell us what he did or what came up, however, he did say that the information was forwarded to a "drug division" and that it would be greatly advised to inform everyone in the area to ensure that your property is secure and everything is locked up. Terrific.

I get that Section 8 has done alot of good for less fortunate folks. But all it seems to have done in my area lately (this isn't the only section 8 home in my immediate area), is bring the drugs and reports of domestic violence/theft into my neighborhood.

The officer has just advised us that all we can do is just report anything suspicious that we see. Has anyone been in a similar situation and tried contacting anyone else or doing something that would really give my neighborhood's concern more visibility? I'm afraid to even let my kids play in the backyard without me back there watching their every move, and my neighbor is very afraid to be home alone since these occupants have watched her come and go on a number of occasions (obviously, that's not illegal though). It's a case where the city brings them in, now it's our job to play hall monitors. Great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,918 times
Honestly, I think your problem with the previous tenants is clouding what you're perceiving about the current ones. I don't understand why people looking out the windows at comings and goings is unnerving. Maybe they're watching you to make sure you're not up to no good! Maybe they come from a neighborhood with lots of illegal happenings and as a habit, they check what's going on often so as to be aware.

If you were to be outside of my home, you'd see constant peeking through the blinds. My kids are the main ones doing it, but as a SAHM, I'm always on the lookout for what's happening in my hood. As a matter of fact, my constant peeking allowed me to witness one of my stupid neighbor's family or guest firing a handgun into the air in the backyard. I was able to call the police with a description of what the guy was wearing and what house it happened. I'm checking the comings and goings of many things moving in and out of the cul-de-sac. This doesn't make me more likely to be involved in criminal activity, but to be more aware of it.

Also, you say there is a car that comes and goes that is a concern. If it is the same car, it is doubtful that it is drug activity. Usually with drugs, there are multiple cars coming and going.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
IF the tenants NOT section 8 would you be so Nosey??

Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,918 times
On another note, if they are engaged in criminal behavior, believe me they will be out of that house so fast. The housing authority has a zero tolerance policy for criminal activity. Keep doing what you're doing, but don't be afraid to live your life in fear about what they might be up to.

How about introducing yourself to them? Start some small talk. Ya never know.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Alllllright, maybe I should've been more clear.

It is well-documented as to what homes in my neighborhood are section 8. How do I know? My neighborhood watch has had numerous issues with previous occupants from other Section 8 homes in the community, the last of which were the previous occupants of the house near me. So, yes...we were told to be nosey for a reason, not just by the neighborhood watch, but by the Officer assigned to our community. We are told to report ANY suspicious vehicles or activity in our area no matter WHO it is. And in my neighborhood, the door to door lawncare salesguy has gotten the police called on him when he sat in his car at the corner for 10 minutes. Now, I should've been more clear as to the reason why we wanted to report a plate and why we're on edge. One of my elderly neighbors pulled me aside and told me she saw a possible drug exchange with this vehicle at that house. I told her to call 911 next time that happens, but about a week later, the vehicle returned and as I drove by, I grabbed the license plate number and it was reported to our Officer. During a follow up with him, he advised us that the matter was forwarded onto the city's drug division, made note to tell us to ensure that we are securing our items and locking our doors, and to report any suspicious activity coming from that residence. That doesn't sound like a, "Eh, you guys are overreacting...nothing to worry about there, but just continue to keep your eyes peeled for suspicious activity in your neighborhood."

I did introduce myself to them and just, ya know, welcomed them to the neighborhood, but I wouldn't say I received a particularly warm reception, they kind of just blew me off. It didn't really bother me at all. But ever since, I've waved at them, and I don't even get acknowledged. Instead, they'd rather stare at us whenever I leave my home. I'll obviously just keep reporting any suspicious activity, I just hope something bad doesn't happen that's all.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:46 PM

Well apparently, the license plate that I provided for them has gotten the police on alert. The sergeant assigned to this has already reached out and stated he's going to get "familiar with the area" and he's driven passed the house this afternoon. Very interesting, though, he's not elaborating as to why they've got such an interest. Makes me nervous and wonder what the heck is going on.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
They've also been caught routinely staring at my neighbors and me thru the blinds as we leave our homes. There has also been a car that has made brief stops every now and then.
Seems like your doing an awful lot of snoping on them as well. If you can do it, why can't they?

Old 02-01-2011, 04:53 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
While it might be that the neighbors are sensitized from the past experience there is an old saying. "The more you tolerate, the more you have to tolerate."

My rule on noise is very simple. If music can be heard off the property or outside of an apartment unit - it is too loud. I choose not to tolerate anything beyond that. Your right to play music ends when it infringes upon someone else's right to quiet.

Obviously the Sect 8 office is not screening the people. I don't know if this would work but you might get a bunch of neighbors together and go to the housing office and tell them to take care of the problem and not repeat it, or bring a lawsuit for damages against the Housing Authority. You might not win a lawsuit, but it will certainly get the attention of the housing people and hopefully get a solution.

The advantage of a lawsuit, however shaky is it will draw attention from the media, and the Sect 8 people do not want that.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:40 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Ther are probably good section 8 tenants but I have my doubt. The people calling us daily for our rentals are only calling for the ones with a pool, if you tell them we have others they immediately are not interested.

I own a property in a resort style community and I received tons of calls for that place from section 8 people too....

I just watched a judge show about a section 8 tenant who sued his prior LL. The LL won the case and the section 8 tenant was thrown out of the court room and the judge told him he probably would be arrested for what he did. The proof was overwhelming and he managed to scam the system for years. The LL had reported him many times to section 8 but without result. Finally he was evicted but before that he knew that if a repair needed to be done he wouldn't be evicted so everytime he didn't pay he made sure something was broken.

When he moved out he put something in the sink and let the water running and the court had ruled he had until a certain date before moving out and she only could go in after that date.

Meanwhile the neighbors underneath had the water coming through the ceiling...and he left a cat which was found 2 weeks later, without water or food.

The judge stated she would report everything to section 8 and since the shows are taped they gave an update at the end and section 8 never got back to the show....

The bad thing is that people like that make it for others who really need section 8, hard to be seen as respectful people, which they are.

The OP is doing the right thing and trying to protect the neighborhood and her own area.

Other might call it nosey and to me it has nothing to with section 8...she/he would probably the same with any other tenant with the same behavior.

Section 8 tenants seems to be home more otherwise if they would have a job they would get section 8....and the chances of this are bigger than with people who are going to work 5 days a week.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:07 AM

Thanks bentlebee and jamies. I feel a bit better now that the sergeant has taken an interest in this and is paying close attention. I suspect that when they ran the plates and did whatever they did to check...something of interest came up. I mean, it wasn't even 5 hours from the time the sergeant first received the email to when he contacted us asking a bunch of questions and saying he already drove past the house in order to get acquainted with the neighborhood.

I again, don't get all of the "don't be nosy" and "they have every right to be as nosy as you apparently are". If I hear a neighbor (a respected one at that) tell me that she suspects that she saw another neighbor committing an illegal activity from their home, you expect me to not have some heightened awareness as to what those people are doing? When an officer then tells me that it would be a good idea to secure my belongings and make sure my doors are locked at all times...I'm supposed to blow that off? This isn't a case where since they're section 8, I'm automatically going to assume they're trouble. That's far from it, and in fact, I made it clear that the previous 3 families who lived in that particular home were very nice people. But something struck me and a few other neighbors as odd in this case, and as it turns out, our suspicions appear to have been accurate, to some degree. This is less about being a nosey-busybody, and more about ensuring the safety of our neighborhood and keeping the drug activity and crime away from the children, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting