Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 28,320 times

Advertisements

I live in Virginia and was wondering if a landlord has to provide trash removal in a dumpster or otherwise. The dumpster behind my building apparently belongs to another realty company, but I'm sure people have used it. Should I tell that company that people are dumping in their dumpster from another realty company? Who's responsible for that misuse, my realty company for not providing a dumpster and not informing us not to use our neighbor's, or the tenants dumping, or both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 10:38 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,641 times
Trash removal should be outlined in the lease.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:44 AM

Default Duty to disclose?

I don't have the lease in front of me now but will check later. What about the other issue: What's the code with landlords with the 2nd issue ie not making the lack of trash disposal apparent and not doing anything to inform us the dumpster isn't ours so that tenants unknowingly use the other company's? Is the landlord responsible for telling the tenants that they don't have a dumpster? Is the landlord responsible for insuring that his tenants are informed that the dumpster next to them doesn't belong to their realty company? I guarantee that I would not have known that unless I had asked so it makes me think my landlord is trying to pull a fast-one on the other company

Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,394,522 times
How do you know the dumpster belongs to the realty company? Usually they are owned either by the property itself, or the trash company and they are "leased" or "loaned" to the property and paid for with their monthly service fee. I am assuming your building and the other building are multi-family dwellings? Or is it a single family home?

Old 07-01-2011, 11:01 AM

Well the other company doesn't own it, they lease it from a garbage company. I asked my realty comp if that dumpster was for our apartment and was told it was not.

The two buildings are small to moderate size apartment complexes in a college town.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:28 AM

819 posts, read 3,207,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abfonsy View Post
I live in Virginia and was wondering if a landlord has to provide trash removal in a dumpster or otherwise. The dumpster behind my building apparently belongs to another realty company, but I'm sure people have used it. Should I tell that company that people are dumping in their dumpster from another realty company? Who's responsible for that misuse, my realty company for not providing a dumpster and not informing us not to use our neighbor's, or the tenants dumping, or both?

Why do you want to be a tattle tale?

Old 07-01-2011, 11:44 AM

This leasing company has put our building over the coals all term.

The building was supposed to be 100% finished when I moved in. It won't be when I move out.
-I had to study for my MCAT with constant construction noise from 7 am til 7 pm (this noise continued through out the term until a month ago)
-Power is turned off for maintenance
-Power didn't work for a bit period
-Apartment wasn't complete when we moved in
-The hallways look like a "crack den" based on what visitors have said

My floor doesn't have insulation on the floor of my lofted apartment and was 55 degrees in the winter. Imagine walking on that hardwood to the tile floor bathroom in the middle of the night.

Our parking lot is filled with nails. etc and I haven't had issues, but between 3 people I know living there, they've had 8 flat tires.

Our apartment is shown without prior notice.

They cashed a friend's check and it bounced. They didn't tell him the first time and did it 3 more times while charging him a fee for each. His fault too, but still, you'd think they'd let you know after the first time rather than keep trying.

They started a roof project and left the roof in a state that isn't water-proof. It rained and the top floor apartments got soaked. The company's president never responded to emails or phone calls and then the lower guys tried to say that they were responsible for any damage. The contractor fixed it (while mentioning the realty company is always late in paying them).

They are the epitome of slum landlords and deserve it.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abfonsy View Post
This leasing company has put our building over the coals all term.

The building was supposed to be 100% finished when I moved in. It won't be when I move out.
-I had to study for my MCAT with constant construction noise from 7 am til 7 pm (this noise continued through out the term until a month ago)
-Power is turned off for maintenance
-Power didn't work for a bit period
-Apartment wasn't complete when we moved in
-The hallways look like a "crack den" based on what visitors have said

My floor doesn't have insulation on the floor of my lofted apartment and was 55 degrees in the winter. Imagine walking on that hardwood to the tile floor bathroom in the middle of the night.

Our parking lot is filled with nails. etc and I haven't had issues, but between 3 people I know living there, they've had 8 flat tires.

Our apartment is shown without prior notice.

They cashed a friend's check and it bounced. They didn't tell him the first time and did it 3 more times while charging him a fee for each. His fault too, but still, you'd think they'd let you know after the first time rather than keep trying.

They started a roof project and left the roof in a state that isn't water-proof. It rained and the top floor apartments got soaked. The company's president never responded to emails or phone calls and then the lower guys tried to say that they were responsible for any damage. The contractor fixed it (while mentioning the realty company is always late in paying them).

They are the epitome of slum landlords and deserve it.
You raise good points...

The first is never except any promises for future work and if you do... make sure it is documented in the lease... for your own protection.

Business have the right to try multiple times to attempt to make good on a check... depending on circumstances... it could be a crime to tender a check without sufficient funds.

You have a clear case for tire repair reimbursement resulting from construction debris in public areas... my city building department will hold the contractor responsible and not sign-off on the permit if the contractor has outstanding complaints from neighbors... might be worth a call to the building department if the contractor ignores you after presenting copies of paid tire repair bills.

Did the hallways look like a crack den on arrival or has this condition developed?

Construction can be very trying on the nerves and yet maintenance is required to keep a building functional.

Showing and times work can begin are regulated by State Law where I live... as long as the law is followed there isn't anything to compel otherwise.

People can say they are not responsible and this is why we have small claims court...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting